2002 vs 2005

jordans05tj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a bit of an interesting problem here, and I'm sure it's one a lot of people here have had. I'm currently in a 2005 TJ X with the 6 speed and 3.73's, 122k miles. Very clean and straight, it was a solid buy at $8k. My only complaint about it is that it doesn't have the Dana 44. I found a 2002 sport for sale near me that's very clean also, has a small lift and 33's, Dana 44, the 7 speaker system, NV3550 I believe, and it also had 3.73's factory at 111k miles. I know there are potential problems with the 6 speed transmission, I've already changed the OPDA deal and I've got a check engine light that won't go away in my 2005, I'm thinking it's related to the PCM these also have. Are there any other reasons to go to a 2002 from a 2005? I'm wary of the lift because the control arms on this new one aren't adjustable and it has a transfer case drop also. Long term I'd love to stretch one on 37s+ and coilovers, etc. I don't want to cut up my pretty blue jeep, but I am tempted to sell mine and buy the new one as a potential build that I'll daily for a little while. Any opinions on this from anybody here?

Personally I would keep the platform I had unless the new one was significantly better. You're trading something with known issues that can already be resolved with something completely unknown.

The NSG370 can always be replaced with an AX-15, and the axles will need to be swapped with something beefier than TJ D44s to run 37s anyways.

I don't think the 6 speed is all that bad anyways. Hundreds of thousands of JKs ran them for many miles. The 6 speed also has a deeper 1st gears, a deeper overdrive gear, and more overall ratio spread than a 5 speed. Other than the reverse synchro issue (which is completely resolvable), they do fine

Personally I would keep the platform I had unless the new one was significantly better. You're trading something with known issues that can already be resolved with something completely unknown.

The NSG370 can always be replaced with an AX-15, and the axles will need to be swapped with something beefier than TJ D44s to run 37s anyways.

I don't think the 6 speed is all that bad anyways. Hundreds of thousands of JKs ran them for many miles. The 6 speed also has a deeper 1st gears, a deeper overdrive gear, and more overall ratio spread than a 5 speed. Other than the reverse synchro issue (which is completely resolvable), they do fine

I have a 6 speed and so far no issues. Not sure all the hype is warranted. How is the reverse syncro issue resolved?

That 6 speed is growing on me more and more. The low first means easy acceleration from an uphill stop. 2nd is perfect for a rolling stop. And that 6 th is ideal on the highway. It keeps the 4.0 exactly where you want your rpm's to be. Much better than a 5 speed.

Reactions: jordans05tj
I prefer an auto, but I wouldn't care too much if I had a Dana 44 or Dana 35, as a Dana 35 can be built to handle 35s for relatively cheap.

I'd go for which one was the cleanest and had the least amount of rust (y)

Reactions: jordans05tj
Long term I'd love to stretch one on 37s+ and coilovers, etc. I don't want to cut up my pretty blue jeep, but I am tempted to sell mine and buy the new one as a potential build that I'll daily for a little while. Any opinions on this from anybody here?
If you're going to stretch one and put it on 37s get a real beater to start with and don't worry at all what factory axles it has. They aren't going to work anyway.

I went and got a closer look at it, the paint is pretty rough. I ran the vin and they never told me it was a rebuilt title, it got flood damage in Louisiana in 2004. That was enough of a red flag to me, but if somebody is looking for a great Tj build this one would be great to have lol. I love the low first gear in the 6 speed, but I've heard of people having issues with them. I do have to shift to 5th before reverse to line them up better, is there a thread saying what can be done to resolve this somewhere?

If you're going to stretch one and put it on 37s get a real beater to start with and don't worry at all what factory axles it has. They aren't going to work anyway.
Well my thought was a TJ 44 would be way easier to resell than a 35, and until I do go for a full build I'd feel better wheeling around the 44 than a 35

I prefer an auto, but I wouldn't care too much if I had a Dana 44 or Dana 35, as a Dana 35 can be built to handle 35s for relatively cheap.

I'd go for which one was the cleanest and had the least amount of rust (y)
Rust is pretty much a non-issue here, I'm in Arkansas lol. Haven't seen snow in years at this point

Reactions: Chris
That 6 speed is growing on me more and more. The low first means easy acceleration from an uphill stop. 2nd is perfect for a rolling stop. And that 6 th is ideal on the highway. It keeps the 4.0 exactly where you want your rpm's to be. Much better than a 5 speed.
That's the major benefit of the 6 speed, hill starts are amazingly easy. I normally start in 2nd but having the low first is a lot of help. It also loves going 75 on the highway with 6th, I hear a lot of 5 speed people complain their fifth gear is basically worthless

Well my thought was a TJ 44 would be way easier to resell than a 35, and until I do go for a full build I'd feel better wheeling around the 44 than a 35
How long do you plan to be wheelin before doing the full build? I'd just wheel on the 33's with the 35 and if I broke it, do the upgraded axle part of the build then. My .02c.

If you never go over 35's you can just Super the 35 or swap to a Dana 44

How long do you plan to be wheelin before doing the full build? I'd just wheel on the 33's with the 35 and if I broke it, do the upgraded axle part of the build then. My .02c.

If you never go over 35's you can just Super the 35 or swap to a Dana 44
Probably 2 years at the most, but that timeline may not work as I'm about to graduate and everybody is on a hiring freeze currently because of the virus. I don't want to instantly run to 37's from the 31's I'm on now, but I'd really like a nice wheeler that goes where I point it and then take it out west. I love big fabrication projects and that's one other reason I want to stretch with tons and whatnot

Are you getting all 4 O2 codes? My 05 was doing that. I just replaced the PCM and it solved my issue. Seems a lot of vendors are realizing even the 6 speed PCM’s are faulty and can’t be repaired. So they’re replacing them with units from other vehicles.

Are you getting all 4 O2 codes? My 05 was doing that. I just replaced the PCM and it solved my issue. Seems a lot of vendors are realizing even the 6 speed PCM’s are faulty and can’t be repaired. So they’re replacing them with units from other vehicles.
Nope it's bank 2 sensor 1 heater circuit. Changed the sensor with every brand, checked grounds, checked continuity and nothing is wrong. Hooked up to my mechanic's computer and for some reason it's putting 100% power to the heater circuit all the time, whereas the other 3 will bounce around a little bit. Ever hear of this one? I'm pretty much writing it off as an 05 PCM problem and dealing with the light at this point.

you’re probably right that’s it’s the pcm. Mine was throwing high voltage to the 02 heater codes. Sounds similar. Absolute junk PCMs they put out in 05-06. I’m curious where these new pcms are coming from. The housing isn’t the same as my oem one.

you’re probably right that’s it’s the pcm. Mine was throwing high voltage to the 02 heater codes. Sounds similar. Absolute junk PCMs they put out in 05-06. I’m curious where these new pcms are coming from. The housing isn’t the same as my oem one.
I'm not in a position to replace an entire PCM for one check engine light right now so I'm ignoring it and checking the codes every now and then to see if anything else pops up.