2002 Wrangler clutch replacement. Where to buy? Suggestions

Nick Sebring

I just did a successful clutch kit replacement for my daughters 2007 Yaris. I got it off E-bay because that's all I could afford at the time. I have a 2002 Wrangler X. I've not ever had any problems with it. I was thinking I may be due for a clutch soon based on year/milage. I just hit 100K. How long do they normally last? What should I look for in a QUALITY clutch replacement? I see on Ebay: clutch discs, whole kits, and "stage 3?" I'm thinking of getting the whole kit. Clutch disc, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and pressure plate.

RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE. Thanks in advance. Nick

This one right here... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CICYZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20.

You can't beat a Luk clutch for a Jeep, they're the OE clutch and they can easily get past 200k miles.

I used to smoke mine on a semi-regular basis and it was still in good condition at 162K miles when I decided to swap it out of pure caution even though it was not slipping.

This is my previous TJ and yes that is clutch smoke. I changed the clutch maybe 50k miles later out of nothing but preventive maintenance.

0a50a5c0.jpg

Reactions: Chris
X2 to Jerry's suggestion. That LUK clutch will definitely see up to 200k and possibly more as long as you know how to drive. It's all you need and more.

Sorry guys but I try no to make a problem where there isn't one. Save up you money! If in the future the clutch gives you a problem then take your money out of savings and replace it. Hell you may have made $1.95 in interest.

I was looking at going with Centerforce. Any pros or cons?
Please do a lot of research on this choice. I had one in my 95 YJ and it failed. I replaced it with the same thing! It shortly after that failed in Moab and left me stranded. I got replaced with a stock set up and it never fail me. But like I said, do research. Center Force is a great produce but I don't think it is right for jeeps.

Last edited:
I was looking at going with Centerforce. Any pros or cons?

I used Centerforce on my old BMW M3. It's not OE quality like lucky (Centerforce is made in China from what I understand), but I did have it on the M3 for 50k miles without any issues. Just don't by any means whatsoever use the throwout bearing that comes with those kits since they are well regarded as being junk.

I also agree with what Stinger said, stick with OE. I don't think Centerforce is right for a Jeep application, especially if you off road abuse it a lot.