2003-2006 42RLE transmission shift interlock fix

TJDaveX

motorized toy collector
Supporting Member
I found this cheap fix on another forum years ago. I hope someone here will find it useful.

One day, while wheeling in the dunes, I could not get my 04 TJ out of park. Pressing the button on the shifter did nothing. I ended up removing the shift indicator cover (PRND21) and manually pressing down on the shift interlock tab to get it into drive enabling me to get home.
Then, the internet search was on! I found out that this is a very common problem with the 42rle transmission shifter. Some have had the problem while in drive, not being able to shift the Jeep into park and remove the keys. Also, when this happens, you can not shift the Jeep into low gear as well.

What happens is the white plastic rod inside the shifter breaks. The two broken ends then pass each other, not allowing your shift button to press the interlock far enough to engage. Many non mechanical owners have found themselves stranded, and/or having to leave their key in the Jeep because they can't shift into park.
Pull hard on the T shift handle. It will pop off. You will see a white plastic rod inside the shifter. If you can pull it out, it is broken and you have identified your problem.

Easy fix right? Yes and no. The dealer will try and sell you the whole shift assembly, which requires removing the center console to gain access. Then, you replace the same faulty part with another identical faulty part. The broken rod is not replaceable. It is a permanent part of the entire shift assembly requiring a complete new assembly to replace just the rod.

Better fix: Cheap and easy. Simply make your own replacement piece out of a chopstick (yes, Chinese food), or a piece of plastic coat hanger. Cut it about 1/8" longer than the broken piece you pull out. Massage one end to fit back inside the shift handle. Put it back together and you are done! The larger diameter of the chopstick, or coat hanger, will not pass the broken piece way down inside the shifter, and you interlock will function again.
5 minute fix.
My chopstick has been going strong for ten years, with no signs of failure.

This is my spare along with the broken plastic rod out of my shifter.
20131007_073628_zps2641bd4a.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, that’s awesome! I love Chinese food too, so this would be easy for me. I’m totally going to do this sooner rather than later. This is an issue I wasn’t even aware of.

I think maybe an even better option would be if you could find a metal rod of similar size, huh?

Haha, that’s awesome! I love Chinese food too, so this would be easy for me. I’m totally going to do this sooner rather than later. This is an issue I wasn’t even aware of.

I think maybe an even better option would be if you could find a metal rod of similar size, huh?

Yes, I have seen a metal rod used also. But, it is not something you can do in advance, except have a chopstick (or your choice of replacement) ready and on hand.
If yours has not broken yet, you will not be able to pull the rod out. So an early fix is not possible. You just have to be ready when it happens!

Yes, I have seen a metal rod used also. But, it is not something you can do in advance, except have a chopstick (or your choice of replacement) ready and on hand.
If yours has not broken yet, you will not be able to pull the rod out. So an early fix is not possible. You just have to be ready when it happens!

Maybe I'll just wait until it breaks then, and carry that chopstick on me. It sounds like this is something that can be done fairly easily even on a trail?

Any chance you know the measurement of that chopstick you put in it's place?

Maybe I'll just wait until it breaks then, and carry that chopstick on me. It sounds like this is something that can be done fairly easily even on a trail?

Any chance you know the measurement of that chopstick you put in it's place?

Yes, very easy. Can be done anywhere. It finally happened to a friend of mine on the trail and we had it fixed in no time. I am not sure if the plastic rod breaks in the same spot on every TJ, so pre-cutting a piece for my broken rod may not be the best option. Best to just carry a chopstick with you, and fix it when it happens. Still sounds ridiculous, but it works! LOL. Then, you can upgrade to a metal rod when you get home if you want.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Chris
Yes, very easy. Can be done anywhere. It finally happened to a friend of mine on the trail and we had it fixed in no time. I am not sure if the plastic rod breaks in the same spot on every TJ, so pre-cutting a piece for my broken rod may not be the best option. Best to just carry a chopstick with you, and fix it when it happens. Still sounds ridiculous, but it works! LOL. Then, you can upgrade to a metal rod when you get home if you want.

Ha! Well, it's a great trail fix, and it's also a good reason for me to eat Chinese food more often, haha.

Reactions: oldditchdoctor
Thanks for this bit of info, I had no idea about the issue. I have plastic chopsticks on the shopping list for tomorrow. It's always good to be prepared! They will be put in the Jeep, because you never know!

Reactions: Chris
I removed my handle yesterday to check it out. There's a hole it the top of the handle where the rod slides into. It is just under 7mm diameter. I ended up buying two different size Knitting Needles, 6mm and 6 1/2mm, the 6 1/2 fits in nice with a bit of wiggle room, but I will keep both in the Jeep, just in case. So, make sure if you carry something other than a chopstick, it's not over 6 1/2mm in diameter or it won't work.

Shifter Handle.jpg

Ahh, the ole Chopstick Fix!

I did this one morning on the way to work. That’s the beauty of these forums. I looked it up, found the same post and had it fixed in under 10min. I had to use a rubber mallet to remove the handle. After that, I put the chopstick in with the pointy side up and it’s worked for almost a year, so far. I have a metal rod in the Jeep cut to the same length in case the chopstick fails.

Reactions: Chris
I just had this problem with my Jeep. We were out on a trail and I couldn’t get the Jeep to enter Park or 1.
I’m currently in the grocery store parking lot. I pulled the handle and the white tab is sitting slightly below the metal part of the shift lever. I pushed on the white plastic and the Jeep will now shift between all the transmission settings without pushing anything. But I can’t remove the key.
Should I get some needle nose players and try to remove it?
It really seems like the handle itself might be the issue. I push the button, but nothing is pushing down inside the handle

87709B50-9A08-481C-BE5C-011D6F593299.jpeg

The plastic piece came out very easily with the plyers. It must have been just jammed down into the tube. I’ll cut the chop stick tomorrow.

A chopstick works great. I wrapped some electrical tape around the middle to help center the stick in the tube (I assume that is the reason for the balls on the factory stick). I might buy a 6" piece of 6mm brake line for a slightly better "fix".

Chop.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I want to make a metal rod - what is the length in cm? Sorry, come from Europe.... the diameter is not more than 6 mm, right ? Thanks and greetings from Budapest, Edgar

Hello All,

We have this problem on my son's Jeep. We purchased the new plastic piece and replaced the old one, but the button is still not working. When we push the button, it still will not shift out of park. We have to take the handle off and push down really hard on the plastic piece to get it to get it to shift out of park. Any other ideas?

When the white plastic piece breaks, it leaves 1 of those ‘bumps’ stuck down in the transmission. You would need to disassemble it in order to use that new plastic piece. I’m not even sure how you found that part. Everything I read said that you had to order the whole shift assembly.

Did you try the chop stick?

Not the chopstick because I actually ordered a brand new white plastic piece. When we inserted it, it was doing the same thing. The button will not make the piece go down. We can take the handle off and push on the plastic piece really hard with the rubber of the handle and it will go down far enough to pull back into drive. But it is really tough to push it down.

Just throw the new part in the trash and use a chopstick, dowel, etc cut to the correct length. You may have to experiment with the length but the cost is nearly free. Its a far better solution than the very poorly designed factory part.

UPDATE:
The plastic piece was not the issue.
-The shift interlock includes a safety feature that requires you to press the brake before you can shift out of park. So we thought there may be something faulty with this.

We disconnected the shift interlock and then it would shift just fine, however, you could now put the jeep in gear without the need to push the brake. With my 18 year old son driving this Jeep, I wanted this feature to work. I didn't like just leaving it unplugged. so we did more research.

In addition to the shift issue, we also discovered that the brake lights weren't working. So we guessed that the two issues may be connected. Sure enough it was.

We purchased a stop light switch for $15.00!! (Link below) Popped the switch in, brake lights work. Reconnected the shift interlock, and bam! Shift now works with no trouble along with the brake lights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPJ4UU/?tag=wranglerorg-20
1645541799577.png

UPDATE:
The plastic piece was not the issue.
-The shift interlock includes a safety feature that requires you to press the brake before you can shift out of park. So we thought there may be something faulty with this.

We disconnected the shift interlock and then it would shift just fine, however, you could now put the jeep in gear without the need to push the brake. With my 18 year old son driving this Jeep, I wanted this feature to work. I didn't like just leaving it unplugged. so we did more research.

In addition to the shift issue, we also discovered that the brake lights weren't working. So we guessed that the two issues may be connected. Sure enough it was.

We purchased a stop light switch for $15.00!! (Link below) Popped the switch in, brake lights work. Reconnected the shift interlock, and bam! Shift now works with no trouble along with the brake lights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPJ4UU/?tag=wranglerorg-20
View attachment 311328
Glad you were able to figure out the issue(s). Good detective work.
Could you please provide a link to where you purchased just the plastic rod that goes in the shift handle? I'd like to replace mine with the correct part as you have done. Don't want to buy a whole assembly just for that one piece. Will do chopstick or 1/4" OD rod, tube or dowel instead. Would prefer correct replacement part though.
Thanks