2003 Power Steering Gear Box

Ron505

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well, the leak is getting worse, even after a teaspoon of brake fluid to try to swell up the seals. Since the 03-06 are Mercedes built, are there any decent, affordable options? I see that AGR and PSC make some. Would it be worth paying $500 for them, or just get a reman from Napa for $250? Any other options?

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.
Ron

Reactions: Ron505
I bought a used 99 durango 5.2 4wd box, and modified the frame to fit. It's very simple, $75 box, $35 for both 2002 style hoses new (you only need one, I did both). Bolt on the box with the 2 holes that are in same spot, drill large hole to move the 3rd bolt, and use thick welding washers to solidify the frame. I have pictures, will post them in a minute.

Last edited:
Here they are. I will write up a how to in that section so anyone wanting to put the cheaper, easily accessible older type box on the 03-06, can. I did it not because of the price, but for the off the shelf availability in case it breaks out on the trail...

20160717_182805.jpg
20160717_175237.jpg
20160717_181720.jpg
20160717_212749.jpg
20160719_203457.jpg
20160728_071646.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the leak is getting worse, even after a teaspoon of brake fluid to try to swell up the seals. Since the 03-06 are Mercedes built, are there any decent, affordable options? I see that AGR and PSC make some. Would it be worth paying $500 for them, or just get a reman from Napa for $250? Any other options?

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.
Ron
I put a NAPA rebuilt box in my TJ almost 2 years ago and it's been fine.

I can't remember what the unit was that @Jerry Bransford was recommending in the last power steering pump thread, so hopefully he'll chime in.

I didn't know they were built by Mercedes on the 03-06 models.

A brand new OE pump is only $240 though, check it out:

https://www.wermopar.com/auto-parts...s-engine/steering-cat/p-s-pump-and-hoses-scat

EDIT: Oh wait... You're talking about the gear box, not the P/S pump... DOH!
I did a search before I posted this, but came up empty.

Reactions: Chris
Here they are. I will write up a how to in that section so anyone wanting to put the cheaper, easily accessible older type box on the 03-06, can. I did it not because of the price, but for the off the shelf availability in case it breaks out on the trail...

View attachment 10926 View attachment 10927 View attachment 10928 View attachment 10929 View attachment 10930 View attachment 10931
Nice photos, that's what I'll do if/when my '04 steering box takes a crap.

Reactions: Chris
I don't have the means to fab the change over to the old style. Also, I've read that the output shafts are different lengths, and something else that could cause limited flex????

View attachment 10926 View attachment 10927 View attachment 10928 View attachment 10929 View attachment 10930 View attachment 10931
Nice write-up and great photos. You are right about "off the shelf availability" being important. When I replaced the box in my '03 TJ with a rebuilt one from NAPA it took about a week and a half for them to find one. The parts guy I've dealt with for years and who's always been helpful seemed paranoid that I wasn't going to return my worn out box for rebuilding. I had to give him a $300 deposit ... so there was no damn way I wasn't going to give him my old one! As mentioned, it works fine but I think I'm going to make the change that you did and go to an earlier Saginaw box. I understand they can be rebuilt by the "average guy". I believe the Mercedes boxes can be too but kits aren't easily available and it's a much tougher job. I may be wrong about this though.

Reactions: Ron505
I don't have the means to fab the change over to the old style. Also, I've read that the output shafts are different lengths, and something else that could cause limited flex????

The steering shaft did need to be modified (drill out plastic pin and collapse the lower shaft a few inches). Or, just buy a new (or used) 97-02 lower shaft. As far as flex limitatiins, everything is in the same spot, same pitman arm, steering linkage, etc, so there is no difference there.

Hi guys,
I am swapping out a leaky '04 Steering Gear Box for one from the better, previous generation of TJ. Thanks to this post I have a great grasp of what needs to be done to the frame, so thank you. The question is with the lower steering shaft modification: What is the exact procedure to follow to shorten the lower shaft? Is it a complicated job or easy? Will it be as strong once modified? etc... Need to pick your brains please...