2003 rear diff rebuild or replacement?

unbernard

I had a noisy rear diff with a TJ 2003 auto 4 speed and occasionally starts to shake when going faster. The mechanicial examined excessively worn out for some parts of the rear diff gear(ratio 3.73 Dana 44) like the axle, drums, clutch packed, diff hat removed and springs loose in diff. They just recommended to replace the whole housing and center. Since the rebuild labor cost really much, I just think to do a whole replacement then.Any thoughts? Cheers.

I had a noisy rear diff with a TJ 2003 auto 4 speed and occasionally starts to shake when going faster. The mechanicial examined excessively worn out for some parts of the rear diff gear(ratio 3.73 Dana 44) like the axle, drums, clutch packed, diff hat removed and springs loose in diff. They just recommended to replace the whole housing and center. Since the rebuild labor cost really much, I just think to do a whole replacement then.Any thoughts? Cheers.

I thought 2003 Sport auto trans has the Dana 35 rear. If that is the case you better off replacing it into a used Dana 44.