2003 SE 2.4L Manual Transmission Flutter

OleBlue

I have taken my Jeep to multiple mechanics and have been told multiple possible scenarios. However, no one has found the true issue. Story goes as this... I’m driving down the road and shift into 5th gear, at about 55+ a flutter noise begins. It continues even when the clutch is depressed. The only way to get it to go away is to down shift and slow down. I also have little to no drive power during that time. Has anyone else run into this issue? It has a new clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Thoughts?

I thought it was a rocker fluttering but so far that’s not the case. It only really does it in 5th gear unless I stay in fifth and try to power through it, then it does it for a short while in 4th.

I thought it was a rocker fluttering but so far that’s not the case. It only really does it in 5th gear unless I stay in fifth and try to power through it, then it does it for a short while in 4th.

Anyway you could record a short video/audio of the noise you are hearing?

I have taken my Jeep to multiple mechanics and have been told multiple possible scenarios. However, no one has found the true issue. Story goes as this... I’m driving down the road and shift into 5th gear, at about 55+ a flutter noise begins. It continues even when the clutch is depressed. The only way to get it to go away is to down shift and slow down. I also have little to no drive power during that time. Has anyone else run into this issue? It has a new clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Thoughts?
Is it noise + Vibration or just a sound

The loss of power is interesting, what is the condition of the timing belt.
I have replaced the timing belt 3 times. Twice because of belt seperation. Once because a mechanic found missing teeth. I have not noticed an issue with timing.

The fuel filter does not need to be changed, it is considered to be a lifetime fuel filter due to its huge surface area. Not to mention the factory feels that way enough to require the entire gas tank be dropped to even get to it. The days of easily cleaned or changed inline fuel filters like I grew up with are long-gone for most vehicles.

This is the fuel pressure regulator enclosure which also contains the fuel filter.

FuelPressureRegulator1.jpg

The fuel filter does not need to be changed, it is considered to be a lifetime fuel filter due to its huge surface area. Not to mention the factory feels that way enough to require the entire gas tank be dropped to even get to it. The days of easily cleaned or changed inline fuel filters like I grew up with are long-gone for most vehicles.

This is the fuel pressure regulator enclosure which also contains the fuel filter.

View attachment 59386
Possible faulty/dirty Injector(s)

Possible faulty/dirty Injector(s)
Possible but dirty injectors are nearly unheard of with today's gasolines and the injectors themselves are nearly trouble-free. It's rare I ever hear/read about a bad TJ injector. And never do I read about them being clogged like was common in the days before all US gasolines started containing enough cleaning additives to keep them clean. I used to have the occasional clogged injector in the early days of fuel injection that was cured by running a FI system cleaning additive but I haven't had one in close to 30 years now. :)

Possible but dirty injectors are nearly unheard of with today's gasolines and the injectors themselves are nearly trouble-free. It's rare I ever hear/read about a bad TJ injector. And never do I read about them being clogged like was common in the days before all US gasolines started containing enough cleaning additives to keep them clean. I used to have the occasional clogged injector in the early days of fuel injection that was cured by running a FI system cleaning additive but I haven't had one in close to 30 years now. :)
Faulty Injector is a cheaper fix then faulty ECM and I'm starting to see Ethanol Issues with after market fuel pumps/Injectors

I would do a compression test, to check for bent valves, or valvetrain damage. I say this only because of the vehicle having the timing belt replaced 3 times, and possible damage to valves leading to one or more cylinders not sealing leading to a miss and or vibration/loss of power.

Just a guess.

Reactions: Chris
I would also suspect the fuel tank to be full of water or other trash. Even if the filter and pump were to be good, I would drop the tank and clean It out, then you know what you have and can eliminate that from the possible causes of failure.