2003+ steering box replacement

Ken97

I'm looking to replace the steering box in my 03 TJ as it's started to leak from one of the seals. So far none of the parts stores I've checked carry them, and the dealership wanted $1400 for a new one. Does anyone know of anywhere online that would have them? Would the 97-02 steering box fit? (Located in Ontario, Canada)

Try adding a stop-leak product which can help swell that leaky seal and stop the leak. It certainly can't hurt and it can buy you some time. I used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak on my last TJ and it took care of the leak. Suck enough of the old power steering fluid (which is ATF+4) out with a turkey baster or similar so you can add an entire bottle if you go with the Lucas. I'm not normally a big Lucas fan but this stuff works pretty well. Some report they've had no more leaks for many years after adding a good stop-leak product. The Lucas is compatible with all power steering fluid types, at least it is according to Lucas. :)

https://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/lucas-power-steering-stop-leak

Reactions: derekmac
Try adding a stop-leak product which can help swell that leaky seal and stop the leak. It certainly can't hurt and it can buy you some time. I used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak on my last TJ and it took care of the leak. Suck enough of the old power steering fluid (which is ATF+4) out with a turkey baster or similar so you can add an entire bottle if you go with the Lucas. I'm not normally a big Lucas fan but this stuff works pretty well. Some report they've had no more leaks for many years after adding a good stop-leak product. The Lucas is compatible with all power steering fluid types, at least it is according to Lucas. :)

https://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/lucas-power-steering-stop-leak

Mines leaking a good amount, enough that every couple days or so I'll have to put more fluid in it. I'm not sure if a stop-leak would work for mine. Also, I read on another thread that if your jeep 'wanders' a bit on the highway it could mean your steering box is worn out. I have yet to double check the rest of my steering components but I have a feeling it's the steering box

I'm looking to replace the steering box in my 03 TJ as it's started to leak from one of the seals. So far none of the parts stores I've checked carry them, and the dealership wanted $1400 for a new one. Does anyone know of anywhere online that would have them? Would the 97-02 steering box fit? (Located in Ontario, Canada)
Ken - I had the same problem with my '03 TJ. I bought this product at Canadian Tire
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/no-leak-power-steering-treatment-0380638p.html and was shocked by how well it worked.

I bought myself about a year of daily driving before I had to replace my steering box. Like you, I went to the dealer and basically said "no way". I was able to get a rebuilt box from NAPA. The cost was slightly over $600 CDN which was still expensive but a lot more bearable than the dealership price. It's been in for about 3 years now and it's worked well. It was a pretty straight forward job to replace it.

Edit: I should have added that I got the rebuilt box on an exchange basis. They took mine to rebuild for the next guy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron505
I have been meaning to do a write up for awhile on this, I opted to modify my frame to utilize the cheaper, easy to find 97-02 box.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-install-97-02-steering-gearbox-in-03-06-tj-lj.5703/

Reactions: Ron505

I picked up some of the Lucas power steering stop-leak today in an attempt to buy me some time. I'll report back with how it works

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I picked up some of the Lucas power steering stop-leak today in an attempt to buy me some time. I'll report back with how it works

Are you planning on fixing the seal soon or just using this band aid as a true fix?

I would advise to actually having it rebuilt. I had my OEM rebuilt modified by a local steering box rebuild shop and its even better than before.

For just a seal leak, I'm not so sure I wouldn't figure a stop-leak to be a permanent fix. With some fluids, seals can shrivel up and not seal well. Like some engines can leak with some motor oils but stop leaking with others... yet no one is saying the engine is in need of overhaul. Power steering stop leak products can get that seal swelled back up and sealing well again, I don't see that as a temporary fix if the PS box is otherwise working ok. I had a steering box leak on my '97 and it worked fine for years after I used a stop-leak additive which stopped the leak entirely.

You can put the old style box in if you have someone that can weld. You need to move one bolt boss 1/2 inch to make it fit. A 1/2 in hole saw and a welder is all you need. I did mine in about 1/2 hour.

You can put the old style box in if you have someone that can weld. You need to move one bolt boss 1/2 inch to make it fit. A 1/2 in hole saw and a welder is all you need. I did mine in about 1/2 hour.
I've assisted on that conversion (and I weld) which makes sense for a blown/broken/bad steering box but for just a leaky steering box that is otherwise working fine, I'd sure just add a bottle of stop leak. :)

I've assisted on that conversion which makes sense for a blown/broken/bad steering box but for just a leaky steering box that is otherwise working fine, I'd sure just add a bottle of stop leak. :)

If the stop leak works ;) most use alcohol as a main ingredient to swell the rubber seal. Problem is if the rubber absorbs too much it drys up and cracks.