2003+ steering box replacement

Ha how much are they paying you? JK. Id just fix the seal if it was me.

IIRC the TJ uses a saginaw box.
So u can get brand new parts for them. Just because your dealer doesnt support it anymore I would source a local saginaw shop.
His '03 TJ uses a Mercedes steering box, they stopped using Saginaw steering boxes in 2002.

I actually don't like most of Lucas' products, they are known for some shitty products like their so-called "Oil Stabilizer" which is harmful junk that causes aeration of lubricants... not good Their Power Steering Stop Leak is however actually a pretty decent product.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
His '03 TJ uses a Mercedes steering box, they stopped using Saginaw steering boxes in 2002.

I actually don't like most of Lucas' products, they are known for some shitty products like their so-called "Oil Stabilizer" which is harmful junk that causes aeration of lubricants... not good Their Power Steering Stop Leak is however actually a pretty decent product.
You are right. I think Howe Performance had a tough time back in 2003 with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCO6
Try adding a stop-leak product which can help swell that leaky seal and stop the leak. It certainly can't hurt and it can buy you some time. I used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak on my last TJ and it took care of the leak. Suck enough of the old power steering fluid (which is ATF+4) out with a turkey baster or similar so you can add an entire bottle if you go with the Lucas. I'm not normally a big Lucas fan but this stuff works pretty well. Some report they've had no more leaks for many years after adding a good stop-leak product. The Lucas is compatible with all power steering fluid types, at least it is according to Lucas. :)

https://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/lucas-power-steering-stop-leak
I am new to the forum, but read several posts that Lucas will work. So I purchased the smaller bottle today for my 2001 TJ. It is leaking but very minimal. Question is, do I have to drain some existing fluid then add some? If so, how much? 8oz, 12oz? Where do I drain the fluid if needed?
Thanks for any responses.

I'd drain enough with a turkey blaster so you can add the entire bottle of Lucas. Save what is sucked out in case you need to add back a little after adding the Lucas to top it off.

Reactions: Chris
Jerry, I saw in an old post that you mentioned different amount of the stop leak product depending on which box/type of fluid your TJ ran. Just to clarify, for my 04, I should use a whole bottle? Thanks!