2003 X - Is this a good buy?

it could be your ticket & it looks real nice in the pictures but it's pricey for an X, if it has the stock axles it's a 30/35 & no lockers; they look like 33s on there, is that right? If you're planning on building it to wheel you've got some fairly significant expenses ahead however it could be a great platform to start with assuming the frame is as you say and the engine runs strong. I'd have them replace the RMS & then get them as far under 10k as you can

Thanks for the quick reply! I am not planning on anything wilder than forest roads and trails. There is a wilderness area here in WV called Dolly Sods that I've always wanted to explore in a Jeep.

no problem, & if you're staying on forest roads & such and keeping it to 33 inch tires the stock axles on there will be ok; but keep in mind if you get bit on the ass by the "let's go climb over stuff" bug, & those sunuvabitches are all over the trails, you'll need to address that rear axle situation at some point because the stock shafts won't be too happy with a lot of shenanigans :D