2004 front locker light not on

Ggall

When I push the button once the rear locker light comes on. Twice the front light does not come on. But I checked and both pumps are coming on and I can feel air. I have not been able to check if it is actually locked or not. Still a rookie at this.

Let the rear lock up first so its compressor stops running. Then push the switch again to lock the front locker. Does the second compressor turn on and does it shut off within a few seconds?

I will double check. I think The pump does come on but I don’t think the pump shuts off. I can let you know.
If it doesn't shut off, pull the compressor's rubber hose off the port on the rear of the front axle while the compressor is running. Put your finger over the end of the hose and see if the pump stops within a few seconds. If it stops there's an air leak inside the axle, either at its short internal hose or in the air bladder in the locker actuator plate. If the compressor doesn't stop you've either got a leak in the hose leading to the compressor or there's an internal leak inside the compressor. Putting your finger over various points like at the compressor's output nipple can isolate any air leak.

Reactions: Don Bulee
Make sure the front fill plug is not so far in it is binding the flange that the sensor pin catches- this really happens.

If you run the compressor and pull the plug, if you have an internal leak you typically will see vapor at the full plug hole as the air escapes.

You can start with backing off the plug and see if it locks once you do what Jerry says.

Heavy teflon thread tape can solve the overtightening issue.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Ok good info. Question though should the front locker light be blinking though? I will try your suggestions.
It should go solid when it is locked completely, blinking means it's either not locked completely or its locker sensor is not working properly. The locker lights should not be on at all if the lockers are not being used.

Reactions: AndyG
Wow that’s interesting. I will ck that as well. Do you know if the light should be blinking even if not locked?

It will blink when it’s trying to lock and it will I’ll stay on once locked-

No light means its not inflating the bladder or binding and cant engage the locker. The locker moving triggers the pin that tells the pcm to talk to the cluster I believe. Or some route like that. A bad sensor is possible- can even be unplugged.

Last edited:
Do try Andy's suggestion to make sure the front axle's differential fill plug was not overtightened and thus protruding in too far. That can jam the locker so it's unable to move/lock/unlock. But even if that's the case you should still have a front locker light coming on when the front locker's compressor is running.

Reactions: AndyG
Do try Andy's suggestion to make sure the front axle's differential fill plug was not overtightened and thus protruding in too far. That can jam the locker so it's unable to move/lock/unlock. But even if that's the case you should still have a front locker light coming on when the front locker's compressor is running.

Agreed- My money is he has a line off or degraded because it’s not even trying to engage.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Ok will try that tomorrow. Thanks

so is that a dash light or wiring issue possibly?

I'd suspect a wiring or perhaps a switch issue. My current Rubicon's lockers didn't work at all when I bought it. Rather than waste my time troubleshooting its overly complex locker circuit I cut the wires to the compressors and installed a pair of simple on-off switches for the compressors.
Locker Switches 2.JPG

I'd suspect a wiring or perhaps a switch issue. My current Rubicon's lockers didn't work at all when I bought it. Rather than waste my time troubleshooting its overly complex locker circuit I cut the wires to the compressors and installed a pair of simple on-off switches for the compressors.
View attachment 395728

I bet you’ve enjoyed that. This simplicity and predictability of that on the trail has to be great

I have. Being able to control the lockers independently sure beats the convoluted law department designed factory locker control system.

I really do believe legal departments influence manufacturing decisions-

Every Delta brand shower valve comes preset with the temperature to low, etc.

At the same time people are lined up out the door to sue company’s.

I’m not at all anti-attorney- Put the cost of litigation will ensure the companies make settlements when there’s not even any fault.