TJ Fest 2021 Hats
Order your Jeep Wrangler TJ Fest 2021 hats today! Click here for ordering instructions.

2004 Grand Cherokee wont move if not in active 4WD or 4LO

Jlovaas03

So i got a 2004 grand Cherokee limited 4.7HO and heard a funny noise from what sounded like the rear so I changed the wheel bearings(Dana 44) and now even after both sides done I can still hear the noise and just now realized I'm unable to move the jeep if I'm not in active 4wd or 4lo. If i put it in neutral I just sit there. No forward or backward movement. I'm lost in what to do as im new to this keep thing. Thank you to anyone that replies.

TWiG01

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is a TJ specific forum, you may not get the response you need, but there are members here with Grand Cherokees. Maybe they will chime in. Is it 4WD all the time/ all wheel drive?

Reactions: joelachr

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Something might be wrong between the Transfer Case and the rear differential. Will it not engage in 2wd? If not there may not be a rear driveshaft, you could have a problem inside the differential. Start by checking to see if there is a rear driveshaft. If it won’t move in neutral, that’s normal.

Last edited: