2004 LJ: I’ll take all the pointers!

To shortcut a few steps on how mine got to where it is...

Currie 4" to start.

Control arms and track bars with Johnny Joints. I like Savvy and Currie. Don't waste time and effort with others that don't fit as well.

Learn to cycle the axles. This will help you figure out shocks, bump stops, steering, travels, clearances and any number of other nitpicky details that will separate your build from the rest.

Put a lot of effort into understanding the importance of good shocks and sway bars. The Antirock is great. A SwayLOC is excellent.

Don't be afraid to regear and go low.

Big brakes are great. I wish I would have installed them much sooner than two weeks ago.
I already plan to go with the swayloc when that time comes I like the switch aspect of it.

I also plan to do the big brake kit soon in the build as nothing else matters if you can’t stop....

Reactions: jjvw
While looking at mml and body lifts I see the Savvy body lift seems to be the best option and brown dog seems to be the best mml.

why does the savvy bl come in at 1.25 and the brown dog mml come in either 1 or 1.5 inches? What is the perfect pair, I assume 1 inch mml?

https://browndogindustries.com/Wrangler-TJ-40L.aspx

As nice as brown dog looks, I would argue that 1" lift blocks under the factory mounts are better. More rubber.

As nice as brown dog looks, I would argue that 1" lift blocks under the factory mounts are better. More rubber.
That makes a lot of sense. I wondered why the factory one was this huge block of rubber as opposed to the little rubber sleeve with brown dog.

As I am doing more and more research I realize I was thinking the Black Magic Brakes came with brakes at all 4 corners only to realize it's just the fronts.
Which kit would you buy first?
Rear Disc Brake conversion or the 15" Black Magic brake kit?
I know there is a big price difference so without input from others I am leaning more towards the rear disc conversion first.

EDIT: Nevermind I am seeing all LJ's have rear disc brakes....

Last edited:
Even if you had rear drums, your priority would be the front. There is very little difference in the braking ability between rear drum and rear disc.

Even if you had rear drums, your priority would be the front. There is very little difference in the braking ability between rear drum and rear disc.
are the pads alone a major difference? I want the full blown kit one day but before I dive into this Jeep too far I’d prefer to start small. It seems to stop good enough for my liking so I feel even little improvement would be great. I want to do the lift to fit the current tires before I go big money on anything else.

are the pads alone a major difference? I want the full blown kit one day but before I dive into this Jeep too far I’d prefer to start small. It seems to stop good enough for my liking so I feel even little improvement would be great. I want to do the lift to fit the current tires before I go big money on anything else.

Put the money into the front.

I ran the BMB pads up front for many years with factory calipers. They were just about adequate for 33s and still ok with 35s. The 16" Vanco kit is a night and day difference even during normal driving. The brakes just work better and with more control. I have no plans to do anything more to the rear.

Put the money into the front.

I ran the BMB pads up front for many years with factory calipers. They were just about adequate for 33s and still ok with 35s. The 16" Vanco kit is a night and day difference even during normal driving. The brakes just work better and with more control. I have no plans to do anything more to the rear.
I'm planning for 35's years down the road but will be happy with the 33's for a few years. My current pads will need replaced soon so I'm probably going to stick with stock brakes and black magic pads for now.

I'm planning for 35's years down the road but will be happy with the 33's for a few years. My current pads will need replaced soon so I'm probably going to stick with stock brakes and black magic pads for now.

The pads alone will be the second best option to the full kit. They do work well.

A few things to keep in mind as you go forward:

First, you have an '04 LJ, which means you have the 42RLE automatic (all '04 LJs were automatic). Whether going to 33" or 35" tires, plan up front to install 5.38 gears. Since you'll have to do gears, you'll need to make the determination about whether you want lockers. Doing lockers at the same time as gears is the most cost effective way to do it. Also, with the automatic, transmission coolers are a good thing!

Second, as you start down this path, be very conscious of both sprung and unsprung weight. All the modifications made can add unwanted pounds to the vehicle, if you don't make careful choices. For example, it's incredibly easy to add a large steel bumper. Paired with a heavy winch, you could easily add 200lbs on the nose. Suffice it to say, this isn't a good thing!

Third, especially with the LJ, keep the belly up as high as possible and the bumpers tucked in tight to the body. This will aide in break-over, approach, and departure angles.

As a special note, it's obligatory to say don't forget about maintenance. At this point, it's a 17+ year old vehicle that will need stuff replaced. This can be a significant cost, especially if you don't do the work yourself.

A few things to keep in mind as you go forward:

First, you have an '04 LJ, which means you have the 42RLE automatic (all '04 LJs were automatic). Whether going to 33" or 35" tires, plan up front to install 5.38 gears. Since you'll have to do gears, you'll need to make the determination about whether you want lockers. Doing lockers at the same time as gears is the most cost effective way to do it. Also, with the automatic, transmission coolers are a good thing!

Second, as you start down this path, be very conscious of both sprung and unsprung weight. All the modifications made can add unwanted pounds to the vehicle, if you don't make careful choices. For example, it's incredibly easy to add a large steel bumper. Paired with a heavy winch, you could easily add 200lbs on the nose. Suffice it to say, this isn't a good thing!

Third, especially with the LJ, keep the belly up as high as possible and the bumpers tucked in tight to the body. This will aide in break-over, approach, and departure angles.

As a special note, it's obligatory to say don't forget about maintenance. At this point, it's a 17+ year old vehicle that will need stuff replaced. This can be a significant cost, especially if you don't do the work yourself.
Planning to do all the maintenance updates while I decide on lift and other add ons.

I have a leak and I’m not sure if it’s valve cover or RMS.

Going to start addressing this by doing valve cover gasket as well as PCV valves and grommets. This is a lot cheaper as I feel comfortable doing this as opposed to a RMS. Even if it doesn’t fix the leak and it ends up needing a rear main it will be a good first project and something that would need to be tended to anyway in the future. Might as well eliminate the possible issue later on.

also new serpentine belt tensioner and idler pulley along with iridium plugs.
Do the Spark plug coil on boots or whatever they're called need replacing? It's in the suggested things to buy on Rock Auto when I add the spark plugs to the cart.

total in my rock auto cart for all of these things is around $126 bucks 🤙🏼

While I’m in here doing these things does anyone else have any suggestions for things I should tend to? Maintenance or other goodies?

Jeep parts delivered today!!!

Valve cover gasket
Valve cover pcv valves and grommets
Iridium spark plugs as suggested here on the forum
New serpentine belt idler pulley and tensioner

Supposed to be in the single digits this weekend here so it’ll be a warm Sunday in the garage with the heater on!

D8E1A943-8BFC-453A-8EAB-EF39DFAE90F5.jpeg

Reactions: Irun

Valve cover gasket

Supposed to be in the single digits this weekend here so it’ll be a warm Sunday in the garage with the heater on!

View attachment 225295
Great start! When do the tons and 40s arrive?

😉

Valve cover gasket

View attachment 225295
Well, this didn't go according to plan at all... Texas froze over starting the day I planned to do this project and I haven't gotten back to it since. Planning to trailer it to my father-in-law who has a full shop with an alignment machine and all so we're going to tackle all of the previously stated things as well as replace the rear main seal and oil pan gasket.

Anything else we should add to this list of maintenance todos shortly after purchasing?

Plugs (Iridium)
Valve Cover Gasket (Fel-Pro)
PCV Valves(Dorman)
Serpentine belt idler pulley and tensioner kit (Gates)
Rear Main Seal (Fel-Pro)
Oil Pan Gasket (Fel-Pro)

Well, I ordered my super ultimate yesterday! As of now, my plan is to run with the current 32-inch BFG's until I determine a tire and wheel set up. I am back to the 10.5 vs 12.5 tire width, either will be a 33 on a 15 wheel. If anyone has a side by side comparison of these two tire sizes please post them up 33x12.5x15 vs 33x10.5x15

I am also debating between a 10 or 8 wide wheel. The primary use for the Jeep will be date nights and weekend cruises with the once-in-a-year Colorado Utah trip and an occasional 3-day weekend trip to Arkansas. I also plan to drive it from Dallas, Texas to Key West, Florida around Christmas this year so road manors are highly important.

Wheeling Trips the Jeep will be on a trailer, Florida will be the only long trip where we will be driving the Jeep the whole time, about 3500-4000 miles in total.

The wheels I am planning on are Method Double standards and Tires are Cooper Stt Pro

Reactions: SoCalGlide
Well, I ordered my super ultimate yesterday! As of now, my plan is to run with the current 32-inch BFG's until I determine a tire and wheel set up. I am back to the 10.5 vs 12.5 tire width, either will be a 33 on a 15 wheel. If anyone has a side by side comparison of these two tire sizes please post them up 33x12.5x15 vs 33x10.5x15

I am also debating between a 10 or 8 wide wheel. The primary use for the Jeep will be date nights and weekend cruises with the once-in-a-year Colorado Utah trip and an occasional 3-day weekend trip to Arkansas. I also plan to drive it from Dallas, Texas to Key West, Florida around Christmas this year so road manors are highly important.

Wheeling Trips the Jeep will be on a trailer, Florida will be the only long trip where we will be driving the Jeep the whole time, about 3500-4000 miles in total.

The wheels I am planning on are Method Double standards and Tires are Cooper Stt Pro
Cool!
As for the wheels, personally I'd stick with the 8" wheels no matter which width tire you get.