2004 LJ Re-Gear Thoughts

NYC-TJU

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Like the title says - I want to re-gear my 2004 LJ with 97K miles. It currently has stock 3.73 gearing, and on 33" MT tires it's s real dog. My mileage is also half of what I'm getting on my 99 TJ with over 228K miles, so I'm ready for a change.

Questions: the general consensus is 5.13 for my setup, correct? I don't do hardcore crawling or anything, just deep woods camping usually on logging roads or deer trails.

I got a quote today for about ~$1400 give or take, is that a fair price for this conversion? The shop seems reputable and has a decent local reputation. I'm handy and do most things myself, but I don't want to tackle this at all.

Appreciate any insight.

5.13s w auto up to 35s. 4.88s with manual

You could go a tad lower if you really want too (and are 110% confident youll never go to 35s)

1400 is fair. Assuming theyll stand behind their work and warranty any issues you have.

5.13s w auto up to 35s. 4.88s with manual

You could go a tad lower if you really want too (and are 110% confident youll never go to 35s)

1400 is fair. Assuming theyll stand behind their work and warranty any issues you have.
Yeah I wanna keep 33s, and It's an auto. And yeah they seem to have a solid reputation and have re-geared multiple jeeps before.

Reactions: kameronkales
Probably around 4.56s then. Someone else with more experience on that tire size should chime in to confirm though

I would do 5.13 or 5.38 if you can with your carrier. My thinking for that is from driving 6 speed LJs with 3.73 on 30s and 31, and 4.10s and 30s. I felt like 4.10s and 30s was close to perfect but 4.56 would really get me there. Meanwhile on 33s that would be like going to 5.38. But you have the 42rle so the transmission gear ratios are less desirable vs a 6 speed. That is my rationale.

ratio: 5.13
price: not bad for location. I paid ~$1100 but I'm in a much larger market so prices would be lower accordingly.

Consider lockers...it'll up the price but you're only paying for the setup once.

-Mac
I'd do a selectable in the rear and then a USA made lunchbox locker in front.

Last edited:
Notice any mpg improvement?

Never really tracked it. I will.

Pre gears I did for a while with Fuelly and averaged 12.5mpg.

ETA: had ARB's put in while they were in there. I also endorse cheat switches.

Just an update: Got another quote just to make sure it was fair and the second was closer to $2500, so I'm going to go with the first one. That initial $1400 figure is closer to $1600 with tax and fees all in, but still much better than that second one. The $2500 also said going to 4.88 was better, but everything I'm seeing says 5.13 is the way to go so I'm sticking with it.

I'll circle back once I finally get it done in a few weeks with my thoughts on the new gearing - stay tuned!