2004 LJ Re-Gear Thoughts

Status update - made the deposit for the 5.13 gears. Revolution Gears has a backlog I guess though so my order is bumped about 4 weeks or so. They asked if I wanted to look at other brands, but from their recommendation and from what I'm reading on the forum I'll just wait for the Revolution set. Hopefully they can get it sooner!

Reactions: csaxj3
ratio: 5.13
price: not bad for location. I paid ~$1100 but I'm in a much larger market so prices would be lower accordingly.

I'd do a selectable in the rear and then a USA made lunchbox locker in front.
How many USA made lunchbox lockers are there? I find Aussie only?

Just an update: Got another quote just to make sure it was fair and the second was closer to $2500, so I'm going to go with the first one. That initial $1400 figure is closer to $1600 with tax and fees all in, but still much better than that second one. The $2500 also said going to 4.88 was better, but everything I'm seeing says 5.13 is the way to go so I'm sticking with it.

I'll circle back once I finally get it done in a few weeks with my thoughts on the new gearing - stay tuned!
Yep stick with 5.13, that's a solid gear ratio choice for 33" tires when the transmission is the 42RLE as you have.

Reactions: L J
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
RGA has two lines of axles - the USA made line and the imported Discovery line.
This is correct. The front USA axles come with the larger JK joints; that's what I'm running and the Black Magic Brakes knuckles have enough room. Their import chromo axles have the standard TJ joint. Either is better than stock.

The O/P's profile say 99 tj. Wouldn't that be 32RLE not a 42RLE?? Without the 42's deep O/D gearing a 32 would give very high rpm at 70mph with 5.13 gears. 4.56 or even 4.10 would be better ratio if it is a 32. Just want to be sure we're talking apples to apples not apples to oranges.

The O/P's profile say 99 tj. Wouldn't that be 32RLE not a 42RLE?? Without the 42's deep O/D gearing a 32 would give very high rpm at 70mph with 5.13 gears. 4.56 or even 4.10 would be better ratio if it is a 32. Just want to be sure we're talking apples to apples not apples to oranges.
Nope everything in the thread is good - my profile is for my older TJ. This thread is for my 2004 LJ. Thanks for checking though!

Update: the 5.13s are finally here! Getting the LJ in for the regear later this week! I'll circle back and update after with break-in / my thoughts on it for anyone that is looking to do this in the future. Christmas is here early!

Reactions: L J
Hey, NYCTJ:

When did you order your gear set from Revolution, and did you order gears only, or the complete re-gear package with bearings? I've been trying to order 4.88s for mine since the beginning of the year. I last spoke to Revolution last Wednesday, and at that time, the gears were about a week out, but bearings were the longer-lead item. See my post about it here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/revolution-gear-supply-chain-update.59268/post-1083348
I'm hoping they got everything sooner than expected and a call to me is imminent...

Thanks!
sab

Hey, NYCTJ:

When did you order your gear set from Revolution, and did you order gears only, or the complete re-gear package with bearings? I've been trying to order 4.88s for mine since the beginning of the year. I last spoke to Revolution last Wednesday, and at that time, the gears were about a week out, but bearings were the longer-lead item. See my post about it here:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/revolution-gear-supply-chain-update.59268/post-1083348
I'm hoping they got everything sooner than expected and a call to me is imminent...

Thanks!
sab
Complete package, and from order to shipping it took 5 weeks. They quoted 4-6 weeks so they hit it right on the head with that. My wife and I have been house hunting so I legitimately forgot about them, so the shipment email was a welcomed surprise!

Ok following up for the next person who is looking to do this. I have about 300 miles on since getting the 5.13s.

PROS: Its amazing! It truly does drive like a completely different rig. I no longer need to always turn off OD because the rig is never lacking that 'umph' to get it going.

CONS: this is one I wish I would've known prior to getting it done - harmonic vibration. After searching to see what was going on with these pulsing vibrations over about ~65mph, turns out its a thing that happens to the lucky ones after re-gearing. Also looks like its a PITA to fix, and most switch to locking hubs up front to get rid of it. Didn't budget for that, so going to go the route of diagnosing one thing at a time to hopefully get lucky. Ill start with confirming its in the front by removing the drive shaft, then ill check the angles, then I'll make sure its balanced, and then probably be back in the same spot. Yippee. Just when you think you're in a good place the jeep gods kick ya in the stones.

So for those looking to do this, just search the post re-gear vibrations and see what may be in store for you. The regear is amazing, but hoping it doesn't turn into having to get locking hubs up front because I've really no need for that otherwise.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper