2004 Rubicon metallic khaki - let the fun begin

tjmudbuggy

Hello,
Several years ago I purchased a 1999 TJ Sport and immediately learned that a stock jeep might be cute but the fun only begins when you start the process of mods and tweaks. Not only was wrenching on the Jeep extremely fun but my 5 year old daughter became my wrenching/wheeling buddy. After a few years we decided it was time to sell the Jeep and get something that fit our family needs. My daughter was not happy with me and never let me forget my "mistake". Fast forward to last month and my daughter is now 17 and driving. It became clear that we would need to get a third vehicle and a TJ was the only option. I started the hunt for a Rubicon so I would have a good base to start a build. After a few months of watching I found a very clean 2 owner 2004 Metallic Khaki with 175k on the clock. The first owner was meticulous about care and drove mostly highway miles. My plan is to start the build process yet again with my daughter so she learns how to turn a wrench and fix whatever breaks along the way.

Felix at home.jpg

Since purchasing it last month I've made a few changes:
  • Replaced the water pump, timing chain, thermostat, HVAC control, rear window seal, windshield and a few other smaller tasks.
  • Updates include LED tail-lights, LED interior lights in the dash and elsewhere, new winch, small lift to compensate for the winch weight.
My long-term goal is the upgrade running gear with a Vanco Big Brake kit, stronger tie-rod update, replace the u-joints so I can run 35's safely. I'm looking at using MetalCloak fenders with a 3-4" lift. I'll likely change the gears to 4.88 but will follow the advice of others on this forum.

Attached is a picture of my first TJ with 33", Dana 44 rear and ARB lockers - it was quite capable on the trails around WA State. I can't wait to get the Rubi out and try the same trails and explore more areas in the Western US.
1999_TJ-13.jpg

Welcome from Oregon!

Your daughter is lucky, that's for sure. Not only does she get a TJ, she gets a TJ Rubicon, that looks to be in fantastic condition.

Can't wait to see what you do to it and how she likes it!

Welcome from Oregon!

Your daughter is lucky, that's for sure. Not only does she get a TJ, she gets a TJ Rubicon, that looks to be in fantastic condition.

Can't wait to see what you do to it and how she likes it!

Thanks - yeah she gets a Jeep but I win with a new toy to wrench on and build memories together. You could say we're all happy getting back into the Jeeping world.
JeepJoy.jpg

Welcome, I have an uncle and aunt that live out in Port Angeles. I plan on trying to hit up Sadie creek this winter when it gets good and sloppy

Reactions: Chris