2004 TJ Sport Project Jeep

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I bought my first ever 2004 TJ Sport this past March. Having owned a Cherokee XJ with the 4.0 six I knew the engine was a good one. After quite a few on line searches and several looks at used ones I knew what not to buy. For example, many had rust issues and the maintenance history was sketchy. I found one that appeared to fit my requirements and was able to contact the owner. Obtained the build sheet and did a CARFAX history check. The TJ had a consistent maintenance history since it was bought and had many parts replaced around the 100,000 mile mark; new OE radiator, water pump, hoses, pinion seals, axle seals, u joints, etc.. The TJ had 130,000 miles on it, was a 5 speed manual with a body lift, suspension lift, disconnect sway bar links along with a host of other mods. I felt desirable. After agreeing on a price I bought the vehicle and drove it home.

One of the first things I did was put new General Grabber AT/X 2 tires on it as the previous tires were far too aggressive for my needs. The PO's had put 33" tires on it leaving the original 3.73 gears. It became obvious re-gearing would be required in the near future. Using info. and recommendations on this site I am having it re-geared to 4.56 gears with a Detroit Tru Trac in the rear. It has a Dana 30 in front with a Dana 44 in the rear. I am not doing anything with the front until I take it on the trails I intend to use it on as well as see how the LSD performs in the snow this winter.

My next step was to drain and replace all fluids, injectors, air filter, etc.. After that I attempted to clean the frame internals and treat with Eastwood internal coating. I used a wire wheel and wire brush on surface rust spots on the frame, then sprayed with Rust Oleum rusty metal primer. It became obvious laying on my back and crawling under the vehicle to continue this was not the way to go. Contacted a local auto body repair shop about having the under carriage done right, removing all surface rust with an industrial product they use.

Next was to remove seats and carpets from interior and coat entire floor, front and rear, with POR 15. I removed the rear seat which will remain out as long as I own it. Wired driving and fog lights up, installed LED rear back up light, replaced blown factory sub woofer with Kicker sub woofer and it's own amp. The head unit that was installed is a Kenwood with an Alpine amp; Pioneer and Kicker speakers in front panels and sound bar. System sounds fantastic.

That is about as far as I am going this year as I will let my driving, on and off road, to help me determine if any other mods are warranted. This will be driven off road on forest service roads and some moderate 4 wheel park excursions. Pictures are as follows: 1-4 are Jeep when I bought it and my attempts to go after surface rust. Pics 5 & 6 show shop removal of surface rust using needle guns and wire wheels, masking, taping and coating. Pics 6 & 7 show current state.

I have put 2,000 miles on this TJ since I bought it. The rear main seal is not leaking, have not burned a drop of oil and am happy with the performance. Have had it on farm trails and forest trails. Am looking forward to re-gearing and LSD install.

DSCN1532.JPG

DSCN1520.JPG

DSCN1531.JPG

DSCN1523.JPG

20190509_164756.jpg

20190509_164814.jpg

DSCN1552.JPG

DSCN1553.JPG

Reactions: ranger101
I bought my first ever 2004 TJ Sport this past March. Having owned a Cherokee XJ with the 4.0 six I knew the engine was a good one. After quite a few on line searches and several looks at used ones I knew what not to buy. For example, many had rust issues and the maintenance history was sketchy. I found one that appeared to fit my requirements and was able to contact the owner. Obtained the build sheet and did a CARFAX history check. The TJ had a consistent maintenance history since it was bought and had many parts replaced around the 100,000 mile mark; new OE radiator, water pump, hoses, pinion seals, axle seals, u joints, etc.. The TJ had 130,000 miles on it, was a 5 speed manual with a body lift, suspension lift, disconnect sway bar links along with a host of other mods. I felt desirable. After agreeing on a price I bought the vehicle and drove it home.

One of the first things I did was put new General Grabber AT/X 2 tires on it as the previous tires were far too aggressive for my needs. The PO's had put 33" tires on it leaving the original 3.73 gears. It became obvious re-gearing would be required in the near future. Using info. and recommendations on this site I am having it re-geared to 4.56 gears with a Detroit Tru Trac in the rear. It has a Dana 30 in front with a Dana 44 in the rear. I am not doing anything with the front until I take it on the trails I intend to use it on as well as see how the LSD performs in the snow this winter.

Sorry Chris, just realized this should be in the build thread area.

My next step was to drain and replace all fluids, injectors, air filter, etc.. After that I attempted to clean the frame internals and treat with Eastwood internal coating. I used a wire wheel and wire brush on surface rust spots on the frame, then sprayed with Rust Oleum rusty metal primer. It became obvious laying on my back and crawling under the vehicle to continue this was not the way to go. Contacted a local auto body repair shop about having the under carriage done right, removing all surface rust with an industrial product they use.

Next was to remove seats and carpets from interior and coat entire floor, front and rear, with POR 15. I removed the rear seat which will remain out as long as I own it. Wired driving and fog lights up, installed LED rear back up light, replaced blown factory sub woofer with Kicker sub woofer and it's own amp. The head unit that was installed is a Kenwood with an Alpine amp; Pioneer and Kicker speakers in front panels and sound bar. System sounds fantastic.

That is about as far as I am going this year as I will let my driving, on and off road, to help me determine if any other mods are warranted. This will be driven off road on forest service roads and some moderate 4 wheel park excursions. Pictures are as follows: 1-4 are Jeep when I bought it and my attempts to go after surface rust. Pics 5 & 6 show shop removal of surface rust using needle guns and wire wheels, masking, taping and coating. Pics 6 & 7 show current state.

I have put 2,000 miles on this TJ since I bought it. The rear main seal is not leaking, have not burned a drop of oil and am happy with the performance. Have had it on farm trails and forest trails. Am looking forward to re-gearing and LSD install.

View attachment 110333

View attachment 110334

View attachment 110335

View attachment 110336

View attachment 110337

View attachment 110338

View attachment 110339

View attachment 110340