2004 TJ still going strong at 206k miles: What can I expect to replace next?

Calijeepgrl0827

Hi all😊My 2004 TJ is at 205k miles and is still going strong. Had all gaskets replaced so no oil leaks and it runs great. Does anyone have an idea of what might go out next? I would like to be somewhat prepared. How long will the transmission last? Should I expect something to go soon?
Also going to be buying a replacement soft top. I’m looking at Bestop Supertop NX....suggestions?
Thanks in advance fellow Jeepers!!

Have you replaced your cooling system yet? i.e. radiator, water pump, thermostat. Manual transmissions can go a long way if you shift them gently, but it's a good idea to replace the gear oil every 30k or so. Your 5-speed uses Redline MTL.

Also consider new gear oil in the front and rear differential if it's been a while since you replaced them. Ditto for the transfer case (ATF+4).

Reactions: Long Rider
Your transmission.

Transmissions tend to last around 200k miles (give or take) before they need a rebuild. That being said, if your transmission has never been rebuilt, be expecting it.

As for soft tops, the best top you can get is a Bestop, period.

If you want the cream of the crop, this would be it (there is no finer soft top than this):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EVOVCO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Have you replaced your cooling system yet? i.e. radiator, water pump, thermostat. Manual transmissions can go a long way if you shift them gently, but it's a good idea to replace the gear oil every 30k or so. Your 5-speed uses Redline MTL.

Also consider new gear oil in the front and rear differential if it's been a while since you replaced them. Ditto for the transfer case (ATF+4).
Thank you!! I have replaced the thermostat but not radiator and water pump. I have noticed it being a little difficult at times shifting into 1st. Could that be the gear oil? I don’t know too much about mechanics.

Your transmission.

Transmissions tend to last around 200k miles (give or take) before they need a rebuild. That being said, if your transmission has never been rebuilt, be expecting it.

If you want the cream of the crop, this would be it (there is no finer soft top than this):

Thank you!!

Thank you!! I have replaced the thermostat but not radiator and water pump. I have noticed it being a little difficult at times shifting into 1st. Could that be the gear oil? I don’t know too much about mechanics.

I have the same transmission as you with half the mileage and mine also doesn't always shift into 1st. Draining and replacing the gear oil with Redline MTL did improve it slightly, not to mention the slight 1-2 grind. In truth, these are crunchy dump truck transmissions that rattle and rumble and crunch, but they can go a long time. If you don't hear any whining, I think you can expect a lot more miles. Have you replaced the clutch yet?

Your transmission.

Thank you!! That’s the one I’m considering. Definitely going to be a Bestop Supertop just trying to decide twill or diamond.

Reactions: Chris
I have the same transmission as you with half the mileage and mine also doesn't always shift into 1st. Draining and replacing the gear oil with Redline MTL did improve it slightly, not to mention the slight 1-2 grind. In truth, these are crunchy dump truck transmissions that rattle and rumble and crunch, but they can go a long time. If you don't hear any whining, I think you can expect a lot more miles. Have you replaced the clutch yet?
Yes I replaced the clutch at about 150k. I will definitely have the gear oil replaced with the MTL. Thanks again for the input!!

Thank you!! That’s the one I’m considering. Definitely going to be a Bestop Supertop just trying to decide twill or diamond.

Twill is what you want, trust me. It’s more expensive but for a very good reason.

What do you mean had all gaskets replaced?
My friend, you don't want to know how many gaskets there is on a TJ.

These are important (to me) to check arranged according to magnitude of wear:
1. Transmission
2. Transfer Case
3. Piston Assemblies
4. Cam Shaft Bearings
5. Differential Assemblies
6. Clutch Synchronizer
7. Fuel Pump
8. U-Joints
9. Ball Joints
10. Budweiser Fluids

Soft top is the least I worry about.

Last edited:
What do you mean had all gaskets replaced?
My friend, you don't want to know how many gaskets there is on a TJ.

These are important (to me) to check arranged according to magnitude of wear:
1. Transmission
2. Transfer Case
3. Piston Assemblies
4. Cam Shaft Bearings
5. Differential Assemblies
6. Clutch Synchronizer
7. Fuel Pump
8. U-Joints
9. Ball Joints
10. Budweiser Fluids

Soft top is the least I worry about.
Thanks for the info!!

I have a lot of miles on my TJ as well-about 267k. I recently had to replace the power steering pump, the distributor, my steering box was leaking, and my exhaust manifold was leaking. My manual trans is still going strong, though second gear is starting to get crunchy prior to warming up, and there is quite a lot of gear whine.

Good luck!

So......update. Did have to have transmission rebuilt and new clutch put in. Costly but well worth it.....shifts like a dream now!!

At that mileage, I'd check your drivelines. The front driveline has a double cardan joint that uses a centering ball. Very bad things happen to your transfer case if it goes out while driving. All u-joints (driveline and axles) should be replaced at or before that mileage.

Reactions: Flivver250
So......update. Did have to have transmission rebuilt and new clutch put in. Costly but well worth it.....shifts like a dream now!!
If you don't mind me asking, who replaced it? Looks like we're in the same region so I'd like to have an idea when the time comes for me. Thanks!

Your transmission.

Ah yes, the almighty twill.

Reactions: Chris
If you aren't too mechanically inclined to crawl around & look at stuff on your own (which is fine BTW) I'd recommend finding a mechanic that you can trust either through personal recommendations or reviews. Pay them to do a thorough inspection (usually around an hour of labor) to test drive it, put it up on a lift, and give you a full write-up on what needs attention soon and what will need attention later. When you're talking about a 15 year old vehicle with 200k+ miles failures of any sort are to be expected, be it major or minor. It can be tough sometimes to find someone you can trust that won't pencil whip up a list of deficiencies looking for a payday, but they're out there. When you do find one hold on to him. You might check local Jeep clubs in your area also to see if there are solid technicians around you.

TJs have common weak points like the cooling system, the crank position sensor, and the ignition switch/actuator, but that doesn't mean something else won't go wrong either. I wouldn't worry about it stranding you on the side of the road, but as vehicles get older stuff breaks. The best way to figure out what you need is to get a set of eyes on it that knows what they're looking at.

If you aren't too mechanically inclined to crawl around & look at stuff on your own (which is fine BTW) I'd recommend finding a mechanic that you can trust either through personal recommendations or reviews. Pay them to do a thorough inspection (usually around an hour of labor) to test drive it, put it up on a lift, and give you a full write-up on what needs attention soon and what will need attention later. When you're talking about a 15 year old vehicle with 200k+ miles failures of any sort are to be expected, be it major or minor. It can be tough sometimes to find someone you can trust that won't pencil whip up a list of deficiencies looking for a payday, but they're out there. When you do find one hold on to him. You might check local Jeep clubs in your area also to see if there are solid technicians around you.

TJs have common weak points like the cooling system, the crank position sensor, and the ignition switch/actuator, but that doesn't mean something else won't go wrong either. I wouldn't worry about it stranding you on the side of the road, but as vehicles get older stuff breaks. The best way to figure out what you need is to get a set of eyes on it that knows what they're looking at.
Thank you and very good advice!! I have a great mechanic that is very honest and takes pics of everything he sees which is great because I’m not mechanically inclined lol. So far so good. Now that I got the transmission/clutch out of the way hopefully I’ll get a little bit of a financial break before something else goes lol. Like they say.......JEEP stands for JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET lol. Worth it though.....I love her!!

Steering and stopping are fairly important functions that would probably benefit from maintenance after 200k and seventeen years. On the brake side, old calipers often seize and brake function can be easily and cheaply improved with new rotors and pads (check the lines and hoses whilst you are at it). I replaced all my rotors, calipers and pads just for piece of mind. My rear calipers were a bit sticky. I thoroughly flushed the brake fluid out as well. The difference was night and day. Doing the full ZJ steering conversion with new ball joints, axle joints and seals is also cheap and easy maintenance a DIY guy can tackle. I suggest Spicer differential components with a Lube-Locker cover gasket. While your old components may not be real bad, I will wager dollars to donuts you would immediately notice a significant improvement in steering and stopping. My transfer case cable shifter was also a pleasurable upgrade I would suggest is a vast improvement over old stock linkage.