2004 TJ strange smell

loganhamdan21

So first I just wanna put it out there that this is my first post, and this jeep is my first car as well. I’ve been driving it since last September, but before that my dad had drove it since I was a freshman, I’m a senior now. Anyways, I have an ‘04 TJ with a manual transmission and 217,000 miles. It has an inline 6 4.0L. This jeep has always been reliable to me, but here lately I’ve had a couple issues with it, the first time being when I took it off roading into a trail while I was swimming (probly not a good idea since the car is 13 years old and almost has 220k). Soon after leaving the trail, Russel started making this nasty squeaking noise coming from under the cabin. I dropped it back into 2-wheel and slowly drove it around a culdesac until it eventually stopped, I figured it was probly something that got stuck on the drive shaft or something, but in all honesty I suspect that it’s the transfer case. So yeah that’s a problem, but it’s not the only one I’m dealing with. I just got back from my girlfriends house a few minutes ago, and its about a 45 minute drive. I’m not gonna lie, I have a lead foot so the entire time I’m driving I’ll hold 85-90mph. But while I’m driving, randomly I’ll get this strange smell in the cabin. It’s almost like a burning clutch, but my clutch is new. And I don’t use the AC because the freon is empty and I feel that rolling the windows down is both a cheaper and more effective alternative. The heat isn’t running either because it’s the middle of the summer. Duh. I really can’t think of what it could possibly be. I just need some help on some ideas of where I could start. And yes I am somewhat of a newbie with all of this, but if you say something and Idk what it means, the internet is a beautiful thing so I’ll figure it out

The squeaking noises under the vehicle could be the transfer case, but more than likely it's just u-joints that either need replacing or grease. Get under there and grease all the zerk fittings with a grease gun, or have someone do it for you who knows what they are doing.

As for the smell, that could be a lot of things, but usually that burning clutch smell is caused by the clutch or the brakes. If you're driving it 85-90mph (which is both scary and dangerous in a TJ), then I have to assume you're being very hard on the clutch and brakes. If that's the case, then I wouldn't be shocked if that smell is associated with your driving style.

Do you know how to drive clutch? You mention being a senior, and I know that for me when I was a freshman in high school, it probably took me a good 6 or so years to really learn how to drive clutch like a pro. Before that I knew how to drive it, but I was probably riding the clutch a lot more than I should have been.

Yes, I know how to drive clutch. I grew up in West Virginia and rode dirt bikes pretty often so I had already known the basic idea of driving a manual. I got my license almost a year ago and started driving last September so I definitely know what I’m doing

• Haha
Reactions: derekmac
I think that a saying my Dad used when I was a teenage applies:

"The problem could just be the loose nut behind the wheel"
That was exactly what my dad told me!😁 Turns out he was right. 🤔Try driving like you want to live long enough to graduate.🤓 That should cure a great many things both with the Jeep and in life.👍

As far as just speed goes, unless you’re in Germany and driving the Autobahn you are driving way too fast especially for a vehicle as narrow, as short a wheelbase and as high a center of gravity as a Tj. Maybe a Gladiator would be ok at 90 but not a regular Jeep. I wouldn’t temp fate like that. Good luck.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I'm going to assume the OP is exaggerating on his speed. If not there is part of me that is almost impressed. My LJ drive pretty nice, all things considered, and anything over 75 my ass cheeks start firmly gripping the seat cushion.
But in regard to their questions I would agree to start with inspecting the u-joints and greasing every zerk. As far as the smell... I would make sure there isn't a sticky brake caliper if it is certain the clutch isn't the issue. Next time it happens pull over as soon as possible and give all 4 wheels and the transmission the sniff test. If it is indeed brake or clutch you will know.

I’m not gonna lie, I have a lead foot so the entire time I’m driving I’ll hold 85-90mph.

I'll assume you know what you are doing with a clutch since you rode a dirt bike and probably learned on a stick, etc. I think when you push a TJ at those speeds, you will have some leaking of fluids here and there that might burn off. You honestly are beating your TJ driving it that fast and pushing it. I have taken mine up there, but just to get a feel for it. I run around 70-75 tops on the big roads and my TJ seems to be happy enough at those speeds.

I would cut your speed down and see if it handles it better. Also leaking around the axle seals onto your brakes/wheels can create a smell.

Good luck, but I would slow down a bit. You are only saving a few minutes of time really and it isn't worth beating on your TJ that much for a few minutes.

Reactions: duncanator
Soon after leaving the trail, Russel started making this nasty squeaking noise coming from under the cabin. I dropped it back into 2-wheel and slowly drove it around a culdesac until it eventually stopped

Be sure you don't use 4wd on pavement, that isn't too good for the Jeep. And ya, slow down. Driving 85-90 a funny smell is going to be the least of your worries.

Yesterday while driving I noticed the smell while taking off from a red light, I think it could be my clutch but we put a new clutch in when we bought it a couple years ago, and up until last September it was my fathers daily drive so I’m really not sure if that could be the issue

Clutches are made with a variety of different ingredients. A cheap clutch will use cheap materials. And sometimes it seems like they wear out a lot faster then they should. A performance clutch is often softer to provide better grip. This too may shorten clutch life. Bottom line is that it appears your clutch is near is end. A broken finger, slightly out of spec clutch face, there are many things that can cause a clutch to fail early. A slight deal leak allowing oil to get on the disk can do it to. So if you need a new church it doesn't really matter why, just that it needs to be done.

Nothing the OP said except a vague "smell" gives any indication of a clutch problem including driving at high speeds.

If the clutch disengages and allows easy shifting into 1st and reverse, it's releasing. And there was no mention of the clutch slipping. So I see no reason to suspect the clutch.

I agree with checking the brakes but I usually do it by feeling for a hot wheel to see if a caliper or brake shoe is dragging. A brake issue is certainly a possibility but I would argue you are unlikely to smell burning brakes at speed.

The most common cause of a sudden squeaking sound that magically goes away is a pebble caught in a caliper or between the backing plate and the brake disk. Rarely anything serious. I was on a trail ride where a young know-it-all type would not even consider he might have a pebble against the brake disk. He pulled the front driveshaft then discovered the pebble after several people told him to check that first.

Random smell in the cabin at speed? Could be a leak. Definitely crawl under there and look for a leak. Could also be something electrical in the cabin.

The recently replaced clutch is one of the last things I would suspect.

Reactions: John Scoggins
From all that you’ve described, all of it could be contributed to going off on a trail. You might have simply got some trail debris stuck up on top of the skid plate. Crawl under and look at everything really good. A handful of weeds, or sticks pinned in there next to the exhaust could easily do everything you described.
Good luck with it all, and take it easy with your speeds.

Reactions: g.hayduke
sounds like clutch to me, at 85 to 90 if the clutch wasnt adjusted properly, its probably looking like a glazed dougnut. either that or with the aerodynamics of the TJ it was burning up in reentry!

Last edited:
seriously though, check freeplay at the top of the pedal, there should be some 1/4" to 1/2" before the clutch starts to disengage. no freeplay and your clutch will slip, this even can be the case with our hydraulic clutches that are supposed to be self adjusting.