2004 TJ won't crank

Ender451

I posted about this previously and thought I found the problem but that ended up not fixing it. Short, sweet version:

I6, manual transmission, 2004

I turn the key and the dash lights up, but no sound. No clicking, no crank. Silence. After a few second one small click can be heard from engine compartment.

I have done the following:

- tested starter in all manners and it is fine.
- battery has sufficient voltage.
- voltage to starter sufficient
- replaced starter relay
- checked and cleaned related fuses behind glove box and in PDC
- put 20a fuse in bottom left slot behind glove box for clutch safety override.
- took apart ignition, actuator pin busted so figured that must be it. Replaced actuator and ignition switch. Didn't solve it.
- checked grounding strap connections at the hood, body, and engine block. All good.

Is there a way to bypass ignition at the ignition harness with a wire or something? Or other way to check that wires from harness to battery and starter are good to see if there is still something wrong with the ignition?

Any other ideas would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
I posted about this previously and thought I found the problem but that ended up not fixing it. Short, sweet version:

I6, manual transmission, 2004

I turn the key and the dash lights up, but no sound. No clicking, no crank. Silence. After a few second one small click can be heard from engine compartment.

I have done the following:

- tested starter in all manners and it is fine.
- battery has sufficient voltage.
- voltage to starter sufficient
- replaced starter relay
- checked and cleaned related fuses behind glove box and in PDC
- put 20a fuse in bottom left slot behind glove box for clutch safety override.
- took apart ignition, actuator pin busted so figured that must be it. Replaced actuator and ignition switch. Didn't solve it.
- checked grounding strap connections at the hood, body, and engine block. All good.

Is there a way to bypass ignition at the ignition harness with a wire or something? Or other way to check that wires from harness to battery and starter are good to see if there is still something wrong with the ignition?

Any other ideas would be great. Thanks!

Two thoughts,
Have you thoroughly cleaned the battery connections, you can have a good voltage reading with a DMM and not a good enough connection for high amps.
Have you jumped power from the main starter post to the solenoid terminal?
Maybe the starter is just bad , ours died on my wife's 04. Good luck !

If other electrical components working could that still be it? Electrical is definitely my weak area.

Yes, that’s definitely possible. Usually you can tell just by looking at the connections what sort of shape they are in. They also need to be snug.

Two thoughts,
Have you thoroughly cleaned the battery connections, you can have a good voltage reading with a DMM and not a good enough connection for high amps.
Have you jumped power from the main starter post to the solenoid terminal?
Maybe the starter is just bad , ours died on my wife's 04. Good luck !

Thanks. I'll definitely give the battery terminals a better look. I replaced the starter first, thinking that was the issue.

Reactions: ColoJeep
When the problem first occurred I popped the clutch and could drive home, that worked. Might be illegal but I play by my own rules. 🤘

Well that would mean if the starter turns everything would be fine, (thanks to the obvious), solenoid/starter every wire in between, may be the sensor in the clutch (if it has to be depressed to start) or neutral sensor, sorry just brainstorming. My jeep is auto so I am unaware of starting procedure. May God Bless;DL