2005 6-speed manual swap to 5-speed

ditomato131

I apologise if this is something addressed previously, but I've been looking and haven't found anything that answers my current concerns. I'm looking to buy a really clean 2005, but have been warned about the 05/06 6 speed manuals being problems. I was wondering if its possible to swap the 6spd with an older Wrangler 5spd, to avoid the concerns with the 6spd... It looks like the 5spd is cheaper and more available to source, than replacing a 6spd. I didn't know how much labor costs would factor in to performing such a swap, but don't want to buy the 2005 if its a serious concern...

Wow, thanks! I agree on not swapping it out for a ‘just in case’ scenario. I’m happy to see though, that if something should go wrong, I can at least theoretically swap out for an AX15. I was nervous the bellhousing or something else would prevent it from being possible.

Wow, thanks! I agree on not swapping it out for a ‘just in case’ scenario. I’m happy to see though, that if something should go wrong, I can at least theoretically swap out for an AX15. I was nervous the bellhousing or something else would prevent it from being possible.

I did it back in may or June of this year.

You do need a special bellhousing because they changed the crankshaft position sensor and moved its location. Both Novak and Advance Adapters sell an AX15 bellhousing machined for a 05-06 sensor.

The clutch parts are all interchangeable. You'll use your nsg370 transmission mount and bracket but notch it with a grinder to clear some bolt heads on the ax15. You'll need to replace the connector for the reverse light switch on your harness. The t case bolts right up, driveshafts are good to go. I did some custom work with my shift boot but you can also get the front half of the center console and the floor plate/lower boot from a 2003-04. I might have gone that route if my nsg370 boot was in good enough shape to sell, but it was already torn up anyway.

Here's my thread. I also did some YouTube videos, not nearly as detailed or well produced as Embark with Mark but might be your thing if you like it concise.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/nsg370-to-ax15-swap.61396/

Reactions: rasband and JMT
This is awesome, thank you very much! I might pull the trigger on the '05 and purchase, the transmission problem was my biggest concern for that model year.

When you test drive it, make sure you find a few opportunities to put it in reverse and make sure it goes in. Mine had to be jammed in and was crunchy every time. Then try to back up against resistance, like up a curb, and see if it stays in or pops out. If it's showing signs of problems, use it as a negotiation. A rebuilt nsg370 is about $2k and the swap ended up running me about $2400.

Reactions: P man
When you test drive it, make sure you find a few opportunities to put it in reverse and make sure it goes in. Mine had to be jammed in and was crunchy every time. Then try to back up against resistance, like up a curb, and see if it stays in or pops out. If it's showing signs of problems, use it as a negotiation. A rebuilt nsg370 is about $2k and the swap ended up running me about $2400.

This..05 is going to have reverse issues either now or later and will get to the point of not going into reverse. If it passes the test I wouldn't worry about swapping any time soon.