2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ tuning options to change shift points?

Sol3y2010

Hey there guys pls i need help
I tunned my jeep wrangler tj 2005 auto pcm with diablo tunner but in sand dunes i face problem which is when i press the od and put it in d which is 3rd gear in 4low it climb the sand dune but when i put it in 2nd gear it wont change until the rpm reach 3000 which is really annoying especially when am climbing the hill i want is to increase the down saftey shift points from 3000 to 3500 from 3rd gear to 2nd gear in 4 low
I saw in hp tunner that they can access to tcm pls help cause its really annoying

HPTuners can access the PCM fully.

However, you CAN NOT change shift points on a 42RLE transmission, it's not possible. I've looked into this extensively. There is no way to do it, period.

This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

The only way to learn to live with the 42RLE automatic transmission in your 2005 TJ is to turn the overdrive off every single time you get in the vehicle and leave it off. In addition to that, make sure you have the proper gear ratio.

If you can do that, the transmission becomes much better to drive.

HPTuners can access the PCM fully.

However, you CAN NOT change shift points on a 42RLE transmission, it's not possible. I've looked into this extensively. There is no way to do it, period.

This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

The only way to learn to live with the 42RLE automatic transmission in your 2005 TJ is to turn the overdrive off every single time you get in the vehicle and leave it off. In addition to that, make sure you have the proper gear ratio.

If you can do that, the transmission becomes much better to drive.
Thanks for all replays i really appreciate that
What about sct tunner
To to tune the tcm and increase the downshift saftey points

How come 2005 and now we r in 2019 and no one figured it out to tune the tcm
I mean there r newer cars and they tuned it

Thanks for all replays i really appreciate that
What about sct tunner
To to tune the tcm and increase the downshift saftey points

How come 2005 and now we r in 2019 and no one figured it out to tune the tcm
I mean there r newer cars and they tuned it

No, the SCT tuner is garbage. That thing doesn't even do half of what the HPTuners software can do.

Again, you CAN NOT change shift points. Not with the SCT tuner, not with the Diablo tuner, not with any of them. When I say I've looked into this extensively, believe me, I have. I've also had a conversation with David Kasper (who is one of the original guys who helped design the PCM for the TJ), and he confirmed this with me as well.

I'm not sure why it's never been an option, but my guess is it has to do with the way the factory locks and protects the PCM.

No, the SCT tuner is garbage. That thing doesn't even do half of what the HPTuners software can do.

Again, you CAN NOT change shift points. Not with the SCT tuner, not with the Diablo tuner, not with any of them. When I say I've looked into this extensively, believe me, I have. I've also had a conversation with David Kasper (who is one of the original guys who helped design the PCM for the TJ), and he confirmed this with me as well.

I'm not sure why it's never been an option, but my guess is it has to do with the way the factory locks and protects the PCM.
Thanks again for reply
But what should i do
Its annoying especially when i climb the sand dune
Its like the gear on 3rd wont change to 2nd until the rpm reach to 3000 rpm
I really hate jeep

Thanks again for reply
But what should i do
Its annoying especially when i climb the sand dune
Its like the gear on 3rd wont change to 2nd until the rpm reach to 3000 rpm
I really hate jeep

It sounds like you probably need the proper gearing. What gear ratio is in it now and what size tires?

I agree with Chris, a 4.88 ring and pinion would probably get you where you want to be. A change of the speedometer gear put my speedometer dead on, and 70 MPH is 2700 RPM with a 4.88. Not bad as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford