2005 kinda / sorta build

warrpath4x4

I guess to start off with I did not buy this as a toy but I cant leave well enough alone. We have gotten a bit of snow here in Eastern Washington and the 2006 Jetta TDI I was driving just wasn't cutting it, getting stuck in my own driveway was a hard no, with more snow coming it had to go.

So I looked at a couple of different ads for jeeps, wasn't going to old, didn't want anything with the 3.8 engine, and the 2013+ JK's were out of the price range I was working with. I found a couple that were lifted with 33's+ but none were re-geared so they were gonna suck on my 100 mile a day commute, or it was obvious they were beat on.

so here is what I found, 2005 TJ with the 4.0L, auto transmission, 108K miles, 31" tires. It needs O2 sensors but the car lot is going to fix that on Friday. While it needs to stay daily driverish I do have a synthetic wrapped winch to put on it, I will build bumpers, sliders, storage boxes. down the road when I can re-gear it then I will put bigger tires and maybe instead of lifting it I will go high fenders to keep a low COG. In the back of my head I keep hearing this little voice "5.3L and a 4L60E", my wife says i have vehicle A.D.D. our driveway has a 1972 K5, 1985-94 4Runner (85 chassis, 87 body, 94 drivetrain), 1991 4Runner, 2006 Megacab, 2007 Jeep Liberty, and a 1965 CJ6 Tux tub.

TJ1.jpg

tj2.jpg

Make sure they use NGK O2 sensors when they fix them, otherwise you'll have issues! This is a well known issue with our TJs!

Otherwise, looks like a great canvas to start from!

Nice looking jeep.

You really can't beat those jetta tdi's when it comes to mileage. I briefly had a 2012 and the thing got around 50. (Who cares if they cheated a tad bit) :p

Last edited:
Nice looking jeep.

You really can't beat those jetta tdi's when it comes to mileage. I briefly had a 2012 and the thing got around 50. (Who cares of they cheated a tad bit) :p
Funny you should say that..we had a 2013 Passat TDI recalled. Thing would get 48 MPG. Best car we owned for commuting.

Nice Jeep. FWIW.. And a 100 mile daily commute, you'd be better off leaving it alone. Drive it as is and enjoy the mileage you won't get if you start to bolt keep junk to it.

so Friday I took the TJ back to the dealer to get the O2 sensor replaced, they did so and the check engine light is still on. They said it needs a fuel pump, that it is not putting out enough pressure and it is setting off a light. While I am not happy about it, they are paying for it all to be done so its no money out of my pocket.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
This thing is just a barrel of monkeys.... or atleast that’s what the OPDA sounded like this morning. I got a Dorman unit for it, couldn’t tell if it was an updated one with the oil hole or not but I didn’t have time to order a crown one and wait for it. Since it is my daily driver I had to get it back up and running today.

Took about an hour total, had to dig out the tool shed door and deal with the 15 degree temps and the wind, but it’s done and the monkeys all ran away.

Fuel pump is changed out, no more CEL light. It still has a bit of stumble at idle, I can hear it but it’s not enough to move the tach. I have some new spark plugs on order along with a new air filter and some brake pads.

Reactions: Alex01
Changed out the spark plugs yesterday, you almost hope to find horrible plugs but they looked fine. still must have been an issue though because it idles smoother now.

Also installed the thumb screw quick releases for the hard top. trying to hold the little lock tabs under the rim was a pain, this summer when the top is off im going to install some nutserts.

Last edited:
So yesterday i had to drive over to Sumner for work so Saturday morning before going to my parents i changed the front brakes and calipers, front shocks, and steering stabilizer. still need to change out the rear shocks next weekend and my shock pin eliminators should be here by then.

I knew one of my calipers was hanging up but wow, i was getting 15MPG back and fourth to work on fairly flat ground. Yesterday I got 17.5 MPG coming over Snoqualmie Pass

PZ4SaGh.jpg

Reactions: JMT and JLLJ
Picked up a cheap winch bumper and threw it on today with a Tuff Stuff 12,500 winch with synthetic rope, finally pulled a Cree LED bar out ive had in storage for 4 years. Winch and light are not wired yet, it started raining on me and wind picking up. Maybe Wednesday or this weekend i will get them wired up and my 137 amp alternator installed.

rJ1KFsG.jpg

sqxHyMV.jpg

fthw7g8.jpg

Reactions: JMT
well i was trying to hold out a bit longer but my tires started to fall apart. stayed with the same size 31x10.50x15 but went with some open country MT's. rides smoother and only sounds louder right as i start rolling, once driving i dont notice any real difference.

Qj8c7ZQ.jpg

CBimzy7.jpg

Reactions: matkal
Yesterday I swapped out the stock alternator for a 137 amp one from a 2007 Liberty and before any says why not the 160 amp Durango unit.... I have a wrecked 2007 Liberty sitting here, i did end up having to switch the plugs but other than that it was bolt in.

But first the reason for doing all of this.
qFyRsYl.jpg

0GpfH48.jpg

Reactions: matkal and JMT
well had the top off for 2 weeks, walk out this morning to go to work and it had rained last night. oh well, grabbed a towel to dry what i could, grabbed a 55 gallon trash bag and laid it on the seat and up the back and drove 45 miles to work lol.

Reactions: ranger101
Time to invest in a bikini top. That won’t solve all of your water issues, but it’ll definitely help haha and you can just put the hardtop on over top of it.

put the hard top back on, just in time, we have had a couple thunderstorms here lately. one thing i noticed and was surprised by was my MPG got worse with the top off, im sure if it was just around town it might not have but most of my driving is freeway.