2005 LJ overdrive issues

geoff@2469

About 2 weeks ago I picked up a salvaged 05 LJ (it was a theft). Since then I have had a new waterpump put on it and the cooling system flushed. It drives wonderfully as long as it doesn't get into O/D. Once it shifts into 4th gear, the CEL comes on, and when it down shifts goes into limp mode. the code is p1776. I went and had the solenoid changed out and fluid and filter changed (mech said it looked good). When we got it, the o/d kickdown switch was gone, so I have ordered another one and am waiting on it. Is it ok to just drive in 3rd? and if so what are the max rpms I need to look for?

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Yes, by all means it is 100% okay to drive in third gear.

The sweet spot for the 4.0 is between 2-3k RPMs, so as long as you're cruising in those RPMs, you're just fine.

However, even if you exceed those RPMs, you'll also be just fine. Sure, I wouldn't drive 200 miles at 5k RPM, but I doubt you're stupid enough to do that ;)

Yeah, That would probably not be a good idea. Thanks for the response. This is the first Jeep we have owned and from reading forums, there is ALOT of info to learn about.

01A9D6CA-CA40-4BE8-B9AF-0D0D8D577175.jpeg

C16A3F26-488F-426A-982D-97A52ABD8857.jpeg

About 2 weeks ago I picked up a salvaged 05 LJ (it was a theft). Since then I have had a new waterpump put on it and the cooling system flushed. It drives wonderfully as long as it doesn't get into O/D. Once it shifts into 4th gear, the CEL comes on, and when it down shifts goes into limp mode. the code is p1776. I went and had the solenoid changed out and fluid and filter changed (mech said it looked good). When we got it, the o/d kickdown switch was gone, so I have ordered another one and am waiting on it. Is it ok to just drive in 3rd? and if so what are the max rpms I need to look for?
Hey did you ever fix this I am having a similar issue.

I'm no electrical, computer or transmission whiz. The o/d button gone bugs me...watch for weird stuff...like pinched wires, etc. I had a harness get hot once and did similar stuff, and rats eat one in a car.

@Crasse My first instinct is wiring...Was the overdrive issue occurring with your old
Pcm?

You can send it back in and I will test it in my Jeep if you would like.

@Crasse My first instinct is wiring...Was the overdrive issue occurring with your old
Pcm?

You can send it back in and I will test it in my Jeep if you would like.
It did happen a couple of times prior to the new computer. I will check some of the wiring first and see if I can find something. If I can’t I will send you an email. Thank you @Wranglerfix

Hey guys update on this one. So I didn’t have anything that looked funny with the electrical components so I decided to get under the Jeep and open the pan up. While I was under there I decided to change the filter, replace the oil ( roughly 4 quarts) and clean the pan. Ialso re-torqued the valve body. After this was performed I didn’t have any other issue so far. My only concern is when I checked my trans dip stick a few days later I did notice it still had a slightly dirty color to it. I’d assume it is because replace the filter and oil in the pan is roughly a third of the oil. My question is would it be a bad idea to flush the system and if it isn’t a bad Idea. Should I be changing that filter again after a flush? Thanks guys and sorry to be a pest I just want to make sure this transmission last a long as possible being it is my daily/weekend warrior.

I’ll give you a heads up that 4 qts is the absolute minimum you should add after draining the pan. I understand that the FSM states 4 qts but I’ve always had 5 qts drain from the pan and 5.5 qts when I also replace the filter.

It’s been my practice to drain the pan (I have a drain plug) then add 5 qts and run the engine for 45 seconds then drain and refill again.

A flush wouldn’t be a bad idea but I’ve always used the above method and my 42RLE still works at 251,000 miles.

Reactions: Rubicon John
I’ll give you a heads up that 4 qts is the absolute minimum you should add after draining the pan. I understand that the FSM states 4 qts but I’ve always had 5 qts drain from the pan and 5.5 qts when I also replace the filter.

It’s been my practice to drain the pan (I have a drain plug) then add 5 qts and run the engine for 45 seconds then drain and refill again.

A flush wouldn’t be a bad idea but I’ve always used the above method and my 42RLE still works at 251,000 miles.
Oh sweet where did you get the drain plug from?