2005 LJ Rubicon - auto, hard top - $19,900

Status
Not open for further replies.

nk24

307 ► 602
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2756920555...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Single owner. Looks to be pretty stock. In New Jersey.

ACCA1769-A486-4579-820A-7A74D65DB111.jpeg

E6522B4F-FFA1-4151-B4DF-1B141B830EC4.jpeg

91F7831D-85BC-47C9-AE38-C20D8D82017C.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: BlueC
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thank you for posting this. I am in NJ and in the Market for an LJ I may contact this seller and see if I can check it out. I have been reading about Jeeps and rust issues and will have it checked out if I can.

Any opinions on this Jeep? I reached out to the seller on Ebay and hope to hear back from him. I am going to check out harbor freight and see if they sell some sort of scope I can use to check out the inside of the frame. I know ebay has weird restrictions of information you can share via their messaging system so I am not even sure I would be able to check it out in person. I searched other classifieds and did not find it listed anywhere else.

The only obvious mod is those rock guards. Maybe they're there for rocks, or maybe to cover up rust.

The visible frame rust is scary. I wouldn't touch it until I had a good look inside that frame. Stick a finger in every hole along the frame and feel around, especially on the bottom. Also, poke at that rust where the tranny skid plate mounts to the frame, that's a place which traps moisture against the frame.

The only obvious mod is those rock guards. Maybe they're there for rocks, or maybe to cover up rust.

Those are stock Rubicon rock rails.

Any opinions on this Jeep?

Definitely worth seeing in person. The rust on the frame could be minor, but it could be worse than it looks too.

Reactions: JMT
Any opinions on this Jeep? I reached out to the seller on Ebay and hope to hear back from him. I am going to check out harbor freight and see if they sell some sort of scope I can use to check out the inside of the frame. I know ebay has weird restrictions of information you can share via their messaging system so I am not even sure I would be able to check it out in person. I searched other classifieds and did not find it listed anywhere else.

It’s posted on a Facebook group too.
Thank you for posting this. I am in NJ and in the Market for an LJ I may contact this seller and see if I can check it out. I have been reading about Jeeps and rust issues and will have it checked out if I can.

there’s a similar one in Philadelphia on facebook’s Jeep Tj/lj buy sell trade page 188k and $17k w/hardtop. I don’t know how to provide the link.

Reactions: JoeyP
Thank you both for your input. I have not had a jeep since 1996 and it was one with the square headlights. I am going to be purchasing a Jeep for my 55th birthday and want something I am not going to have to worry about rusting out.

I will have to check out facebook. I am in some bicycle groups on FB and all the scamming being done out there kind of soured me to FB but so many people are on it.

Reactions: sideproject
This one is definitely worth a look. I bought my clean LJR in jersey from a small dealer that didn’t know what he had.

The seller got back to me and told me the Jeep is in overall great condition. They are actually the second owner and maybe never registered it?

They did say the Jeep is missing the heater core and just found out and is going to add it to the listing. I thought that was pretty odd thing to be missing and debating whether to even bother checking it out. Otherwise the Jeep is supposed to be stock, frame rust is supposed to be surface and paint is good all around.

My gut is saying maybe pass on this one?

Missing the heater core would be odd. Bypassing a leaking heater core is typical. Suggest asking the seller to clarify missing vs bypassed. Either way you'll need to fix it if you want heat but it's driveable with the bypass until you want heat.

If they have a pic of the engine compartment you may be able to tell if the hoses are bypassed.

Good luck. Love the blue

Reactions: Shank
Missed the engine bay pic in the listing. Hard to tell but it looks like the heater hoses have been cut and bypassed. Can't see where the bypass is but most likely means the core is leaking. I wouldn't let be a deal breaker but figure the heater core replacement into your purchase price.

Screenshot_20230220-151238.png

Being from a rust state, frame rust is a little worse than I'd like to see but without checking how the inside of the frame is it is tough to tell.

If it's solid, some fluid film or Krown annually will make this last many years.

Personally, I don't know that I would go for it.

There are a few flags for me, not that there is anything nefarious going on, but the person selling the Jeep did not disclose the issue in it in the ebay listing and told me about it after I contacted him by phone. Also they are not the original owner and said they just became aware that the heater did not work. His words were the heater core is missing but my guess is like Ole Rusty said it is most likely by passed. It is just a guess but I am thinking this person may have gotten the Jeep from the orginal owner and has not registered it in their name.

There is a reputable shop in the area that I called and they will do a pre-purchase check on the vehicle and give me an estimate for a heater core replacement I am debating whether to spend a little cash to get it checked out or just pass on it. My buddy is a diesel mechanic and said if they didn't bother to replace a broken heater core, who knows what else could have been neglected or hacked. I am going to give it some thought.

Reactions: Ole Rusty and Chris
Thank you all for your input with this Jeep. I found a local shop with a good reputation and the owner is very familiar with Jeeps of all types and rust issues. The pre-inspection price is not too bad and is based on their hourly shop charge. I got a scope from Harbor Freight and will look inside the frame rails for rust. If everything checks out besides the heater core, the owner said he is willing to work with me on getting that replaced. I will let you all know how it goes.

Reactions: Shank
The seller got back to me and told me the Jeep is in overall great condition. They are actually the second owner and maybe never registered it?

They did say the Jeep is missing the heater core and just found out and is going to add it to the listing. I thought that was pretty odd thing to be missing and debating whether to even bother checking it out. Otherwise the Jeep is supposed to be stock, frame rust is supposed to be surface and paint is good all around.

My gut is saying maybe pass on this one?

I’d still check it out without the heater core. That is minor compared to the difficulty of finding a good Jeep in the NE. That price is really good for an LJR, really good.

There are a few flags for me, not that there is anything nefarious going on, but the person selling the Jeep did not disclose the issue in it in the ebay listing and told me about it after I contacted him by phone. Also they are not the original owner and said they just became aware that the heater did not work. His words were the heater core is missing but my guess is like Ole Rusty said it is most likely by passed. It is just a guess but I am thinking this person may have gotten the Jeep from the orginal owner and has not registered it in their name.

There is a reputable shop in the area that I called and they will do a pre-purchase check on the vehicle and give me an estimate for a heater core replacement I am debating whether to spend a little cash to get it checked out or just pass on it. My buddy is a diesel mechanic and said if they didn't bother to replace a broken heater core, who knows what else could have been neglected or hacked. I am going to give it some thought.

Jeeps are some of the most modified vehicles that exist. Every owner uses their creativity for good or for bad, so the fact it doesn’t have a heater core doesn’t bother me. I’ve seen way stranger.

I had the jeep inspected this morning and it had a lot of rust on the frame with one particularly bad spot. The mechanic had it on the lift less than five minutes called me back in the shop and showed me where it was rusted and said this would need some serious frame work. I was out on it at that point.

Cosmetically inside and out it looked good and it appeared to have all original parts/suspension on it. It was worth getting checked out as it was a nice day for a drive to the Jersey shore and the shop did not even charge me because the inspection was so quick. Thanks to the OP for posting since if it hadn't had the rust issue I would have most likely purchased it.

I will give a shout out to Allenhurst Car Care for being very cool.

The search will continue

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.