2005 manual transmission swap,

DanFred1970

So I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, it’s got the 4.0 because all rubicon’s came with the straight six, but it has the 4spd auto, and I’d like to swap it to manual, I know it would be easier to swap the entire jeep but this has a close connection to me and it has the lockers, I don’t want the 6spd transmissions that were made during this stretch of years and would really like it to be a 5 speed but I don’t know if anything would match up, I’m basically just looking for information here before I really go ahead and do anything. I just enjoy driving a clutch a lot better as most people who drive jeeps do and I don’t plan on making this jeep a crazy build, rather just something that won’t get stuck with where I live, as well as fun to drive

If you're considering the swap, the easiest way is to find someone who wants an auto and swap the parts. Not only do you need the transmission, clutch assembly, flywheel, shifter, etc., the PCM is also different between the two. It's definitely an involved process, but not impossible.

Thanks for the advice, sticking with the same kind of transmission is probably the smartest/easiest but I do know these transmissions can get a little pricy