2005 Project TJ

Just out of curiosity ... what kind of low temps do you see down unda?

Currently its 3 - 16 deg Celsius. so 37 - 60 deg middle of the day is nice but morning and nights are a bit chilly. We're off to see family in the country this weekend so will get a bit lower.

We don't have the temperatures that some of you guys get.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep and L J
Very frustating.

Just back from a weeks trip in the camper and whilst minding our own business driving along the freeway was pulled over and defected with regard to newish front bar rules here in Australia. Even though I've had the Metalcloak bumper on for 8 years or so, because it doesn't go the full width of the vehicle and cover the tyres, it's now illegal.

The cop looked at it and said, oh it's not a stubby bumper so not that bad, but as I don't know you and can guarantee you'll do the right thing and fix the issue, here's a defect. He also stated the cops down and up the coast from his town don't do their jobs and as they are on a long straight piece of freeway they nab any 4wd that 'stands out, and yours really does stand out'.

I have no idea at this point what I'm going to do but have 16 days to do it till I can't drive the Jeep without clearing the issue. ARB doesn't have any stock of TJ bars, so I'll have to give this a bit of thought and maybe Mcguiver something up till I can get a new bar.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman and JMT
He also stated the cops down and up the coast from his town don't do their jobs and as they are on a long straight piece of freeway they nab any 4wd that 'stands out, and yours really does stand out'.

That bureaucratic drone, and those like him, need to be out of a job if that's all they have to do with their time and resources.

As bad as California government is, it's no where near that overbearing.

Hi Daz,
because it doesn't go the full width of the vehicle and cover the tyres, it's now illegal.
That laws been in place in Sictoria (Vic) for ten years or more... "Leading edge of the vehicle must extend to cover the full cross section of the tire and wheel".
Doubtful the ARB option will pass at the inspection if your running close to a -19 offset and a 10-12.5" tyre.

If you still have it, put on the stock bar and find a cheap set of close to stock wheels & tires and then take it for the inspection

In Victoria they usually defect lift & tyres as you can only go two sizes up from OEM without cert so, yeah, SUCKS BIGTIME!

• Angry
Reactions: JMT
That’s an amazing little trailer. Great stuff!

Hi Daz,
That laws been in place in Sictoria (Vic) for ten years or more... "Leading edge of the vehicle must extend to cover the full cross section of the tire and wheel".
Doubtful the ARB option will pass at the inspection if your running close to a -19 offset and a 10-12.5" tyre.

If you still have it, put on the stock bar and find a cheap set of close to stock wheels & tires and then take it for the inspection

In Victoria they usually defect lift & tyres as you can only go two sizes up from OEM without cert so, yeah, SUCKS BIGTIME!
In NSW our Bumper laws were updated in 2014 and non-enforceable until late last year. Funny thing is I've had a look when I purchased the Metalcloak bumper and it was 2013 so precedes the law (time flys, had no idea it was that old).

I'm going to try and get the defect taken off with an extension on the current bar, funny enough the cop made comment that as far as he was concerned the bumper ends could be removable for approach angle, worse case is they say no and I have to look at another option. Reading through the NSW laws the bumper can be 50mm tube so have some 60mm tube and will attach that to what I have and see if I can sort it.

Long term I'm looking for a replacement for the Metalcloak bar that is full width, the ARB would do that and worse case I'd have to make some small bumper end extensions for that to be totally legal. Eventually, I'd like to get the tyres etc engineered, so will order an ARB bar and when that eventually gets here I'll go have a chat to an engineer about what I can and can't do and have engineered even if I have to do a swerve and brake test.

I'll go have a chat to an engineer about what I can and can't do and have engineered even if I have to do a swerve and brake test.
And that's going to cost somewhere in the 5-6G range. Unless...

You can find someone who has done a lane change and brake test on a TJ setup close to yours then you can use that data and engineer to avoid the LC test.

Let's say, for example, we lived in the same state. My TJ is engineered with a TF LCG longarm and 33x10.5x15 -19 offset
In theory all you would need to do is contact my engineer and ask if he will sign off on the same TJ with all the same mods. If he agrees to do the inspection it will only cost about $600 plus whatever you need to do to emulate my setup.

Or you could spend $6,000 on a test plus whatever else the engineer wants you to do to satisfy upgrading to 33's, that can get out of hand very quickly. One engineed I asked to certify my tj with 33's said he wanted the front axle upgraded to something with bigger tubes and r&p. Another said he wanted longer and stronger control arms and mounting points with stronger axle shafts. Some want this and some want that, go figger.

It's worth knowing, the most lift you can have in Au - total combination of tire & suspension - is 75mm without cert and 150 with cert.
Also worth knowing, if they role the car during a LC test, it's back to the drawing board. Hope that helps.

PM me for more info.

Things must be a little different in your state, most guys are spending around $3k on full engineering in NSW. Generally they line up a few 4wd's and it keeps racetrack rental quite low. I've never heard of a vehicle rolling in a lane change test and have had a reasonable amount of experience within the approval process through ICV approval with Lotus 7 replicas.

Understand the issues with different engineer's interpretations. Our major issue from what I see it is each state has different requirements instead of reverting back to ADR's (which 'should' override everything).