2005 Project TJ

KM3_new.jpg
Rubber day!, had a set of km3's fitted in a 285/70x17 (33") size. I must say, the difference over the 32" Km2's is very noticeable.

You can tell these weigh more, and whilst after a short drive home it's livable with the 3.07 gearing it's not livable "I don't need to do gearing at this point" like the 32's. So regearing with 4.56's is now on the cards along with some further lift requirements to get these working as they should offroad.

And why oh why do tire fitters feel the need to put 45psi in tires is beyond me. That said bro, when you want cheap tires you tend to end up in shops run by some interesting characters. ;)

View attachment 50835 Rubber day!, had a set of km3's fitted in a 285/70x17 (33") size. I must say, the difference over the 32" Km2's is very noticeable.

You can tell these weigh more, and whilst after a short drive home it's livable with the 3.07 gearing it's not livable "I don't need to do gearing at this point" like the 32's. So regearing with 4.56's is now on the cards along with some further lift requirements to get these working as they should offroad.

And why oh why do tire fitters feel the need to put 45psi in tires is beyond me. That said bro, when you want cheap tires you tend to end up in shops run by some interesting characters. ;)
Do they ride like an AT tire? That’s the vibe I get when I read reviews and what they were going for on this tire. Kind of in between the km2 and the ko2. I saw them in person last week and they look much better in person than they do online. Looks good

To be honest they ride the similar as the km2's. Although I'm reserving judgement for a bit most of the way home it was atrocious till I could check pressures and drop them 15psi. Will play around with pressures on the weekend.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
View attachment 50835 Rubber day!, had a set of km3's fitted in a 285/70x17 (33") size. I must say, the difference over the 32" Km2's is very noticeable.

That thing is looking really sharp! Very nice, indeed.

Sometimes you get lucky, other times.....

We've got a $1000 limit before tax etc kicks in with imports. I've been waiting on parts to arrive in stock at Quadratec before shipping and with a change in the exchange rate I was $6.05 over the $1000 limit this morning.

Cost of this $6.05 overrun? $270.00 payable. :(

Hey... those wheels look very familiar ;)

I’ve got 35” KM2s on mine right now, but if I ever need new tires, I’ll be forced to go with the KM3s. I assume they are E load range?

No spacers on my tj :)

Unfortunately, they are E rated as per everything else in the KM3 range. Plus, the 285's in E load range are 7lb heavier than the D rating KM2's. So upping the size and the added unsprung weight has really affected the vehicle compared to the 265 km2's, feels a lot heavier and emergency braking has gone right out the window. Seems phase 2 of the build will involve gearing and brakes.

Reactions: tomtaylz and Starrs
Time to get the 17" Vanco big brake kit like I did. The calipers are as big as my shoe, not even kidding!

So those are TJ Pintlers then, not JK Pintlers?

One thing I like about my KM2s is the D rating. They ride really nice with the lighter D load range.

Time to get the 17" Vanco big brake kit like I did. The calipers are as big as my shoe, not even kidding!

So those are TJ Pintlers then, not JK Pintlers?

One thing I like about my KM2s is the D rating. They ride really nice with the lighter D load range.

Yep, TJ Pintlers and will be definitely looking at brake upgrades after a panic stop yesterday

Reactions: Chris
Sometimes you get lucky, other times.....

We've got a $1000 limit before tax etc kicks in with imports. I've been waiting on parts to arrive in stock at Quadratec before shipping and with a change in the exchange rate I was $6.05 over the $1000 limit this morning.

Cost of this $6.05 overrun? $270.00 payable. :(

Actually, as of the 1st of July GST is applicable on all overseas purchases (new products).

Actually, as of the 1st of July GST is applicable on all overseas purchases (new products).

Sort of, if the overseas supplier collects GST on the Australian government's behalf (like ebay) then yes. However if they don't, you're not going to get hit GST until the $1000 duty limit kicks in.
It's the first time I've had it happen and frankly, could have argued the $50 duty component as the parts are US made so come under the free trade agreement.

Sort of, if the overseas supplier collects GST on the Australian government's behalf (like ebay) then yes. However if they don't, you're not going to get hit GST until the $1000 duty limit kicks in.
It's the first time I've had it happen and frankly, could have argued the $50 duty component as the parts are US made so come under the free trade agreement.

Interesting, I really hope that's the case.
My understanding was if the seller wasn't collecting GST, the government would pursue it where possible.
I've got lucky in the past and had a couple of $2k+ purchased come through and not get flagged.

Very Excited to see those wheels and tires...I'm working on a set of Pintlers for mine as well, and just picked up some KM2's in 285/70R17. I knew it would look good...and you've just proven it!

Reactions: Starrs