2005 Rubicon; A Rubi Brother

Just a flesh wound 🥲

IMG_1312.jpeg

Been a busy week so I haven’t really updated anything. @AndyG and I are constantly tossing ideas around and he pointed out the “nanny” defeat for the Rubicon lockers to make them independent but keep the factory functions. Idk how I have never run across this but I dove into it and now I can independently operate the factory lockers with the factory sensors and lights. This can be done in any drive mode.
IMG_1217.jpeg

IMG_1221.jpeg

IMG_1222.jpeg

All I did was tap into the factory wiring with Posi-Taps, right behind the switch. It does the job without hacking up wiring.
IMG_1255.jpeg

I took a page out of @LONGJP2 book and put the switches right under the 4WD shifter. They are out of site and cannot be tinkered with by anyone else.
IMG_1224.jpeg

IMG_1225.jpeg

IMG_1269.jpeg

Front locker on only, in 2WD. Factory dash lights work 100%.
IMG_1261.jpeg

One of the biggest benefits is I can now lock it in 4H when I’m cruising down forest roads. I don’t have to worry about the stress I’m putting on the LSD and potentially grenading the rear. Just one of those little things.

Also here’s a video.

Been a busy week so I haven’t really updated anything. @AndyG and I are constantly tossing ideas around and he pointed out the “nanny” defeat for the Rubicon lockers to make them independent but keep the factory functions. Idk how I have never run across this but I dove into it and now I can independently operate the factory lockers with the factory sensors and lights. This can be done in any drive mode.
View attachment 508072

View attachment 508073

View attachment 508074

All I did was tap into the factory wiring with Posi-Taps, right behind the switch. It does the job without hacking up wiring.
View attachment 508077

I took a page out of @LONGJP2 book and put the switches right under the 4WD shifter. They are out of site and cannot be tinkered with by anyone else.
View attachment 508079

View attachment 508080

View attachment 508081

View attachment 508082

One of the biggest benefits is I can now lock it in 4H when I’m cruising down forest roads. I don’t have to worry about the stress I’m putting on the LSD and potentially grenading the rear. Just one of those little things.

Also here’s a video.

This mod makes the lockers very “usable”- rather than the 4 lo regimen the factory set up dictated- I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly off road and just whenever added traction matters, like in our slick yard lately. I have used my lockers more since doing this 6 weeks ago than I have the last year.

View attachment 508072

View attachment 508073

View attachment 508074

View attachment 508077

View attachment 508079

View attachment 508080

View attachment 508081

View attachment 508082

Also here’s a video.

What took you so long??? After I talked with @zackcj7 about it while we were on Popcorn Road wheeling, I did the mod the next weekend.

Although I relocated my locker pumps and didn't care if my factory lights worked or not.

@Jerry Bransford had been talking to me about this for a couple of months and I just followed his directions.

Reactions: RINC
What took you so long??? After I talked with @zackcj7 about it while we were on Popcorn Road wheeling, I did the mod the next weekend.

Although I relocated my locker pumps and didn't care if my factory lights worked or not.

@Jerry Bransford had been talking to me about this for a couple of months and I just followed his directions.

Never come across the mod before that retains the factory functions. I know you can just wire them separately but I like having the factory lights that also use the factory sensors.

I also plan on relocating the locker pumps. I’m going to actually cut the wiring back in the engine bay, pull the factory wiring out of the leg going to the pumps, and splice the wiring in directly from the PCM to the ABS tray.

Never come across the mod before that retains the factory functions. I know you can just wire them separately but I like having the factory lights that also use the factory sensors.

I also plan on relocating the locker pumps. I’m going to actually cut the wiring back in the engine bay, pull the factory wiring out of the leg going to the pumps, and splice the wiring in directly from the PCM to the ABS tray.

I think you and @AndyG are kin some how .......... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ok guys, I am at an utterly annoying crossroads; TIRES.

Mopar is running a buy 3 get 1 free on a ton of popular off-road tires. I am stuck between two and every time I think I've made a decision something else pops up. Poor @JMT has tried to help but I'm being a woman about this.

Two contenders are the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, which I have always liked and was planning on using when I upgraded. Load range E, 56lbs, aggressive sidewall, good reports of quiet and excellent traction. It is built for heavy towing so probably extremely stiff, even for an E, and only has a 2-ply sidewall.
IMG_1311.jpg

The other contender that piqued my curiosity is the Falken Wildpeak AT4/W. After doing some reading, this tire also appeals to me. Load range C, 3-ply sidewall, and again, good reports of traction and noise. Really the biggest downside is this tire is 10lbs heavier than the Cooper! We're all about weight savings and I did not expect this tire to outweigh the Cooper.
IMG_1310.jpg

I had pretty much decided on the Falken until I saw the weight between it and the Cooper. I thought a load C 3ply would be perfect since I'm trying to keep this thing light and comfortable. But with an extra 50lbs over the Coopers (including spare), I'm not so sure. My current tires weigh 47lbs. What a jump!

This is where I call upon all of you to help me spend my money :D

Oh yeah, they'll be getting mounted to these. I almost feel bad knowing they're going to get rock rash!
IMG_1299.jpg

you said an extra 50 lbs...but not per tire, right? Its 10 lbs a tire? For where you wheel, I'd get the Falkens. 3 ply sidewall is going to be more resistant to tears and holes (that's where the extra weight is coming from). You probably won't notice the weight while driving.

I run the xlt's on my Ram 1500. I pull a 5,500lb travel trailer a few times a year and they're great for that. I also thought they would be good for some light off road with my truck. For my 05 TJR, I'm considering the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss or the Cooper STT pro. I'm also considering the xlt's because of how aggressive looking they are, but I really haven't had the chance to test them off road yet.

Ok guys, I am at an utterly annoying crossroads; TIRES.

Mopar is running a buy 3 get 1 free on a ton of popular off-road tires. I am stuck between two and every time I think I've made a decision something else pops up. Poor @JMT has tried to help but I'm being a woman about this.

Two contenders are the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, which I have always liked and was planning on using when I upgraded. Load range E, 56lbs, aggressive sidewall, good reports of quiet and excellent traction. It is built for heavy towing so probably extremely stiff, even for an E, and only has a 2-ply sidewall.
View attachment 509518

The other contender that piqued my curiosity is the Falken Wildpeak AT4/W. After doing some reading, this tire also appeals to me. Load range C, 3-ply sidewall, and again, good reports of traction and noise. Really the biggest downside is this tire is 10lbs heavier than the Cooper! We're all about weight savings and I did not expect this tire to outweigh the Cooper.
View attachment 509519

I had pretty much decided on the Falken until I saw the weight between it and the Cooper. I thought a load C 3ply would be perfect since I'm trying to keep this thing light and comfortable. But with an extra 50lbs over the Coopers (including spare), I'm not so sure. My current tires weigh 47lbs. What a jump!

This is where I call upon all of you to help me spend my money :D

Oh yeah, they'll be getting mounted to these. I almost feel bad knowing they're going to get rock rash!
View attachment 509521

Don’t get analysis paralysis! Take a look at this in a 33x10.5r15

https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/light-truck-tires/baja-legend-mtz

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: John Cooper