2005 Rubicon; A Rubi Brother

Dude, it's getting hot down in these here parts. When will you be ready to host us Phoenix peeps for a weekend?
I’ll be done with school in two weeks. I’d be happy to host once I’m out! Maybe early June as that’s when the crowds die down around here.

Reactions: deadbeat son
Thanks for the link.

In regards to your photo, a 2002 Tundra just popped locally up with 78k miles. Been wanting a truck for awhile and this thing is mint. I'm gonna try and swing by Monday to give it a good once over.

I love that body style Tundra. V8 power, yet still much smaller than the 2007 + models. I hope it works out for you!

Well guys I did a thing. I found a 2002 Tundra with 78k miles for a killer deal locally. I decided to pull the trigger given the ridiculous reliability these things have, the fact it’s so hard to find one in this condition, and the fact that I’m now in the contracting world, but this means the Jeep had to go :( I guess these things are a trade off.

Just kidding FTS. I would die before I owned a truck over my Jeep. Here’s a picture of the truck!
AD14DC82-2D65-454C-A033-C4A4417A957E.jpeg

Don’t worry, I’m keeping this thing completely stock. So there will be plenty of funds for the Jeep!

Last edited:
Here's big brother (Toyota) next to little brother (Jeep). They each have an important purpose to serve! How does this Tundra pertain to my Jeep thread? Welllllll one of the reasons I still drive my Jeep around as much as I do is 1). because I love it and 2). I absolutely hate my Honda Civic. Now that I have a vehicle that rides well with real, usable power, I won't feel inclined to drive the Jeep as often, keeping the miles and wear low. I love my Jeep, but I don't want to see that odometer jump up too soon!
IMG_4436.jpg
IMG_4435.jpg

Here's some shots of the Tundra to show off just how clean it is, almost up to the Jeep standards ;)
IMG_4439.jpg
IMG_4437.jpg
IMG_4441.jpg
IMG_4438.jpg

Mechanically this thing is spotless. One of my favorite things is that it has a factory auxilery transmission cooler in addition to the one in the radiator.
IMG_4443.jpg
IMG_4445.jpg
IMG_4444.jpg

Well I'll put this here since you bought the Tundra. Yesterday I saw a dude in town here with a right hand drive older Landcruiser. Looked mostly stock to my untrained eye. Gave the dude a thumbs up and he returned it.
And that's the key. I see a vehicle I like, I give them the thumbs up. They're likely to return it to you, or someone else down the road.

But now I'm in a weird place. I don't know if I should wave to other Tundras or not! :(

Here's big brother (Toyota) next to little brother (Jeep). They each have an important purpose to serve! How does this Tundra pertain to my Jeep thread? Welllllll one of the reasons I still drive my Jeep around as much as I do is 1). because I love it and 2). I absolutely hate my Honda Civic. Now that I have a vehicle that rides well with real, usable power, I won't feel inclined to drive the Jeep as often, keeping the miles and wear low. I love my Jeep, but I don't want to see that odometer jump up too soon!
View attachment 327746View attachment 327747

Here's some shots of the Tundra to show off just how clean it is, almost up to the Jeep standards ;)View attachment 327749View attachment 327748View attachment 327750View attachment 327752

Mechanically this thing is spotless. One of my favorite things is that it has a factory auxilery transmission cooler in addition to the one in the radiator.
View attachment 327753View attachment 327758View attachment 327760

Don't think I'll fit in the back seat.

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
I know this thread hasn’t seen much activity as of late. So I wanna update everywhere on where I’m at.

First, I’m at over 1000 miles on the auto swap. I’ve experienced zero issues and with the shift kit I don’t even feel the shifts. I’m very very pleased with how much more enjoyable the Jeep is to drive.

Second, the not so great part. I have a great job right now with great pay that I’m really enjoying. But between housing/rent prices, gas prices, and inflation, I have no extra spending money right now. I have a solid savings account, but just because I have that money doesn’t mean I should spend it. So I’ve spent no money on mods as of late.

Third, with that said, I think I’m gonna hold off on lifting it another inch and going to 33s. The first step is to do the regear which I have not gotten around to yet. With my engine/tire/transmission combo I am woefully under-geared with 4.10s, so I need to make sure my drivetrain is up to par before I do anything else.

Fourth, I have the UCF ultra high clearance skid, along with a full set of adjustable control arms. All I need to complete this mod is a new rear drive shaft, so once the regear is done I’ll move on to that. I’ll be eliminating the shovel and gaining about 3” of clearance underneath. This will get me by until I lift the Jeep another inch and go to 33s, resulting in another 2” of clearance.

In the meantime, I’m still enjoying it, but I’m itching to start improving things. I’ve even been tossing the idea of a savvy mid arm around. But we’ll see how practical that is once I’m on 33s.
B4EAB896-EA63-43B2-A034-5B5AAE572B4C.jpeg

I know this thread hasn’t seen much activity as of late. So I wanna update everywhere on where I’m at.

First, I’m at over 1000 miles on the auto swap. I’ve experienced zero issues and with the shift kit I don’t even feel the shifts. I’m very very pleased with how much more enjoyable the Jeep is to drive.

Second, the not so great part. I have a great job right now with great pay that I’m really enjoying. But between housing/rent prices, gas prices, and inflation, I have no extra spending money right now. I have a solid savings account, but just because I have that money doesn’t mean I should spend it. So I’ve spent no money on mods as of late.

Third, with that said, I think I’m gonna hold off on lifting it another inch and going to 33s. The first step is to do the regear which I have not gotten around to yet. With my engine/tire/transmission combo I am woefully under-geared with 4.10s, so I need to make sure my drivetrain is up to par before I do anything else.

Fourth, I have the UCF ultra high clearance skid, along with a full set of adjustable control arms. All I need to complete this mod is a new rear drive shaft, so once the regear is done I’ll move on to that. I’ll be eliminating the shovel and gaining about 3” of clearance underneath. This will get me by until I lift the Jeep another inch and go to 33s, resulting in another 2” of clearance.

In the meantime, I’m still enjoying it, but I’m itching to start improving things. I’ve even been tossing the idea of a savvy mid arm around. But we’ll see how practical that is once I’m on 33s.
View attachment 350958

I’m not sure you’d see much benefit from the midarm on 33s. The geometry was set up for 4” lift and then you also need 1.25” body lift to clear the UCA frame mounts.

Are 33s the end goal or 35s?

View attachment 350958

Glad to hear your doing well… awesome job on the swap… don’t tell @AndyG how it went… he wanted to do it to his white one but was told it was too much of a task…

Glad to hear your doing well… awesome job on the swap… don’t tell @AndyG how it went… he wanted to do it to his white one but was told it was too much of a task…

He’s already trying to get me to consider a transplant with my two. It’s kill ‘em both if I do it .

I’m not sure you’d see much benefit from the midarm on 33s. The geometry was set up for 4” lift and then you also need 1.25” body lift to clear the UCA frame mounts.

Are 33s the end goal or 35s?
33s are the end I think. I really have no interest in going to 35s. I wanna see how I like the tuck with the 32s, might even leave it at that. But that extra 2” of ground clearance would be nice.

Good to know on the mid arm. I just want to keep the geometry proper so it handles nice in all areas. Seems there’s still too much controversy on the correction brackets.

He’s already trying to get me to consider a transplant with my two. It’s kill ‘em both if I do it .
As Andy said, I’m already trying to convince him to do it 🤣 You should be encouraging him!!!

At 2-3” of lift the short arm geometry isn’t too far gone. I’d put that money towards some good shocks once you have the lift height sorted out

Reactions: RINC
Jamison was the first person I thought of when I saw your write up. Funny thing is I cut the towers off the same day. Well, the passenger side anyways. I did a better job on the passenger side and preserved much more of the tower, but I'm sure the driver side is still usable. As a bonus, my towers have been adapted to use JL shocks too.

Reactions: Jamison C