2005 Rubicon; A Rubi Brother

33s are the end I think. I really have no interest in going to 35s. I wanna see how I like the tuck with the 32s, might even leave it at that. But that extra 2” of ground clearance would be nice.

Good to know on the mid arm. I just want to keep the geometry proper so it handles nice in all areas. Seems there’s still too much controversy on the correction brackets.

As Andy said, I’m already trying to convince him to do it 🤣 You should be encouraging him!!!

Stop encouraging him, he needs to sell me one if the 2 he has!!!!!

Second, the not so great part. I have a great job right now with great pay that I’m really enjoying. But between housing/rent prices, gas prices, and inflation, I have no extra spending money right now. I have a solid savings account, but just because I have that money doesn’t mean I should spend it. So I’ve spent no money on mods as of late.

You are making the rest of us adults, well maybe just me, look bad.

Jamison was the first person I thought of when I saw your write up. Funny thing is I cut the towers off the same day. Well, the passenger side anyways. I did a better job on the passenger side and preserved much more of the tower, but I'm sure the driver side is still usable. As a bonus, my towers have been adapted to use JL shocks too.

Oh….I have a set of JL shocks waiting to install on my rig. I’d like to see pictures of how you installed those.

I kept the tj shock towers if you want to do the Starkey shock tower mod
I thought it was a very clever idea. I’ll definitely take them off your hands. I need new shocks as well and I’m just trying to tie a bunch of things together.

Reactions: RINC and Wildman
You best be planning some wheeling trips with us.
I'm glad you asked, so here's the plan.

My Jeep has been I the garage most of the summer as I've focused on work and other things. I've noticed the wheel starting to shake when I drive which suggests something isn't right down there. No DW as of yet, but the front upper bushings are toast and I plan to replace them. I think I'm going to install the control arms I have and set them to stock length until I tackle the tuck. The CA bushings are all worn out so we can call it preventative maintenance. The Jeep is also going to undergo a regear but I'm still undecided on whether I wanna do it myself or pay someone. That's a lot of work and time spent to do myself without the proper tools. Decisions decisions.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
I'm glad you asked, so here's the plan.

My Jeep has been I the garage most of the summer as I've focused on work and other things. I've noticed the wheel starting to shake when I drive which suggests something isn't right down there. No DW as of yet, but the front upper bushings are toast and I plan to replace them. I think I'm going to install the control arms I have and set them to stock length until I tackle the tuck. The CA bushings are all worn out so we can call it preventative maintenance. The Jeep is also going to undergo a regear but I'm still undecided on whether I wanna do it myself or pay someone. That's a lot of work and time spent to do myself without the proper tools. Decisions decisions.

Man, I am fired up to go back to Sedona. There is a rock with my name on it.

Don't throw 7k at it like I did mine, but the suspension and axles were done in one trip to a shop.

In other news, I was out exploring last night and found a little ledge on an already steep hill. The Rubicon laughed in the face of danger.
IMG_5346.jpg

Well, all was well and good tonight until I stumbled on a wash that I severely underestimated because I was in a hurry and wanted to get home. I was doing just fine until my back wheel went over a high edge and dropped the back passenger side of my Jeep about 4’ or so. This also resulted in my front driver wheel sitting about two feet off the ground!
531ACD9A-B732-4713-A768-F9FDA83909C1.jpeg

Thank goodness for this Rubicon because after some finessing, and managing to get a rock between the rear wheel and the ledge, I was able to work myself back up with the lockers. Which is impressive to me because this was some soft earth. You can see how far I had already dug myself in.

My passenger rear wasn’t so lucky.
9CE24EE6-BBE1-48C4-850A-182B8ADCA58B.jpeg

825F768E-1171-4E5A-9AD2-B566F3E4CBAF.jpeg

I’m perfectly ok with this though, for a few reasons.
  • I bought this Jeep to use, and based on how I’ve used it so far, I’m surprised this didn’t happen sooner. I’ve been pushing my limits and I’m well aware of what kind of accidents can happen.
  • It could have been much worse. Had my corner not slammed into the ledge I had dropped off of, I would have 100% flipped on my side. My attitude towards this would be much different.
  • Remember my pretty green Sahara? (Which I miss dearly might I add). The reason I sold it was not because of money, or boredom. It was because it was a beautiful Jeep, and I knew if I had kept pushing my limits it would have ended up with something like this. And that would have broken my heart.
I’m not upset by this in the least, it means I’m trying and learning what to do and what not to do. In all reality, if I fixed the bumper end this wouldn’t look near as bad.

Buuuuuuuut where’s the fun in that when I can just cover it in some corner armor ;)

Well, all was well and good tonight until I stumbled on a wash that I severely underestimated because I was in a hurry and wanted to get home. I was doing just fine until my back wheel went over a high edge and dropped the back passenger side of my Jeep about 4’ or so. This also resulted in my front driver wheel sitting about two feet off the ground!
View attachment 355188

Thank goodness for this Rubicon because after some finessing, and managing to get a rock between the rear wheel and the ledge, I was able to work myself back up with the lockers. Which is impressive to me because this was some soft earth. You can see how far I had already dug myself in.

View attachment 355189

View attachment 355190

• I bought this Jeep to use, and based on how I’ve used it so far, I’m surprised this didn’t happen sooner. I’ve been pushing my limits and I’m well aware of what kind of accidents can happen.
  • It could have been much worse. Had my corner not slammed into the ledge I had dropped off of, I would have 100% flipped on my side. My attitude towards this would be much different.
  • Remember my pretty green Sahara? (Which I miss dearly might I add). The reason I sold it was not because of money, or boredom. It was because it was a beautiful Jeep, and I knew if I had kept pushing my limits it would have ended up with something like this. And that would have broken my heart.
I’m not upset by this in the least, it means I’m trying and learning what to do and what not to do. In all reality, if I fixed the bumper end this wouldn’t look near as bad.

Buuuuuuuut where’s the fun in that when I can just cover it in some corner armor ;)

I predict a savvy corner armor order in the near future. 😉

View attachment 355188

View attachment 355189

View attachment 355190

How did the seat fair from sphincter collapse? :DI'm looking into armor too, before something like that happens. I've put my windshield frame into the earth in a wash, bent my front fenders (repeatedly) and torn my softop. I've yet to get my rear corners, but I know its inevitable.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Irun
Watch as he becomes a Savvy Rubi Bro? Not sure if I could stand to be around such cockiness. 🙃
I see no Savvy gear. I will look down my nose at you Good Sir.
View attachment 309992
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

How did the fair seat from sphincter collapse? :DI'm looking into armor too, before something like that happens. I've put my windshield frame into the earth in a wash, bent my front fenders (repeatedly) and torn my softop. I've yet to get my rear corners, but I know its inevitable.
Honestly it happened so quick my body didn't even have time to react 🤣 I will say trying to work it out of that wash was definitely squirrely. As my rear wheel dug deeper the Jeep tilted more and I thought for sure I was going to flop. I had to climb up and out of the driver door it was so off camber.

I would like the Savvy armor with the rub rails, but it seems like @Irun got the last ones :( I'm just thankful it didn't flop. Trying to repair the body/door panels or the windshield would be a much more trivial task.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Honestly it happened so quick my body didn't even have time to react 🤣 I will say trying to work it out of that wash was definitely squirrely. As my rear wheel dug deeper the Jeep tilted more and I thought for sure I was going to flop. I had to climb up and out of the driver door it was so off camber.

I would like the Savvy armor with the rub rails, but it seems like @Irun got the last ones :( I'm just thankful it didn't flop. Trying to repair the body/door panels or the windshield would be a much more trivial task.

Hey man, don't call out my BS.

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper