2005 Rubicon; A Rubi Brother

Lot's of good progress happened yesterday. I finished up the Savvy shifter install and wow what difference it made. My stock linkage always worked pretty good, but then again, a 600CC sport bike seems fast until you get a 1000CC. The adjusting is an absolute pain. It worked better for me when I put it fully in 4L and adjusted the length and lever throw from there. While I had the transmission hanging down, I was able to clearance the tub just a bit more just to verify I had enough room for things.

IMG_9754.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

My TW shaft also came in a couple days ago and it is definitely impressive quality. I took it up to 70MPH and it was smooth as butter. That was with the front shaft removed though, so I'll have to wait and see how a new one handles, or if I can rebalance the front one since it was the source of my 55MPH+ vibe. I think my pinion is just a tad too high so I'm probably going to drop it a couple of degrees today.
IMG_9751.jpg

IMG_9753.jpg

I'm still kind of undecided on the stock muffler. I've noticed that its banging the UCA bolt, and I'm not sure if welding the rest of the exhaust into place and having it rest on the exhaust hangers will hold it steady. I don't want to go through all the work of welding it all back together if the stock muffler is going to create interference problems. I could probably adjust it down a bit, and I could probably notch the rear brace of the Savvy skid for the pipe.

What do you all think?
IMG_9763.jpg

IMG_9762.jpg

Reactions: RINC and Wildman
Lot's of good progress happened yesterday. I finished up the Savvy shifter install and wow what difference it made. My stock linkage always worked pretty good, but then again, a 600CC sport bike seems fast until you get a 1000CC. The adjusting is an absolute pain. It worked better for me when I put it fully in 4L and adjusted the length and lever throw from there. While I had the transmission hanging down, I was able to clearance the tub just a bit more just to verify I had enough room for things.

View attachment 456304

View attachment 456306

My TW shaft also came in a couple days ago and it is definitely impressive quality. I took it up to 70MPH and it was smooth as butter. That was with the front shaft removed though, so I'll have to wait and see how a new one handles, or if I can rebalance the front one since it was the source of my 55MPH+ vibe. I think my pinion is just a tad too high so I'm probably going to drop it a couple of degrees today.
View attachment 456312

View attachment 456314

I'm still kind of undecided on the stock muffler. I've noticed that its banging the UCA bolt, and I'm not sure if welding the rest of the exhaust into place and having it rest on the exhaust hangers will hold it steady. I don't want to go through all the work of welding it all back together if the stock muffler is going to create interference problems. I could probably adjust it down a bit, and I could probably notch the rear brace of the Savvy skid for the pipe.

What do you all think?
View attachment 456328

View attachment 456329

I haven't done anything on my Jeep since my last post. Hello adult life!

I finally picked up a welder and some exhaust tubing. I picked up a couple of 2.25" couplers and an 18" section with a coupler as well. I think these will be more than enough for what I had planned below. I hope to have this done by Friday, but honestly who knows. It only took me two months to pick up the supplies.
IMG_0339.jpg

Welding project got put on hold as the unit I borrowed no likey the shiney :( I’d buy one but I don’t even have a place for that right now. Everything is still hung up until the exhaust is finished.

In other news. Homie here picked up a brand new Warn VR Evo 10 for $290. So that was a score since I was on the prowl for a winch! Gonna go with some WRG to round off my setup.

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

Welding project got put on hold as the unit I borrowed no likey the shiney :( I’d buy one but I don’t even have a place for that right now. Everything is still hung up until the exhaust is finished.

In other news. Homie here picked up a brand new Warn VR Evo 10 for $290. So that was a score since I was on the prowl for a winch! Gonna go with some WRG to round off my setup.

View attachment 477655

View attachment 477656

Nice score...

Reactions: RINC

View attachment 477655

View attachment 477656

Talking with our purple TJ friend about my tummy tuck. What muffler did you go with?

Warmed it up tonight since I haven’t driven it in a few weeks. Figured might as well 🤷‍♂️

Sounds pretty good in the video lol.

I've driven with the pre-cats gutted (from PO of the turbo) and third cat removed. Also driven with the exhaust open after the headers on the way to the muffler shop to connect Pre-cats to the turbo. Both sounded like your worst nightmare compared to this. Absolutely awful in idle and even worse with the slightest push on the skinny pedal.

I was actually a bit suprised when I drove mine without a muffler a few miles to the exhaust shop. It was quiter then I imagined it would be.

Yea man it's not that bad even with the third cat removed. But removing the upstream stuff is a bad idea.

Here's a clip I found lol

https://vimeo.com/889757564?share=copy
edit: forgot this is your build thread @Jamison C sorry for all the posts.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: RINC and Alex01
Good news guys. I finished the exhaust today and all is well and quiet. I can button everything back up this week and hopefully get to wheeling 🙂

My welds aren’t the prettiest, but I achieved good penetration so everything will hold just fine.
IMG_0781.jpeg

IMG_0782.jpeg

I need to bash the muffler in a bit where it’s hitting the passenger UCA bolt at the frame. Then I need to weld the exhaust hanger back on right behind the muffler. But for now, it stays in place and it’s quiet as stock.

I can go wheeling again!

So update, I’m doing some more work on the Jeep today. My plan is to remove the exhaust, grind all of the welds down, and just make sure everything looks good in terms of complete penetration. My goal last week was to make sure the exhaust fit, which it does, so now is kind of my “finished product” phase.

I also bought some ujoints to rebuild my front DS. I’m not entirely sure that will help with the vibs but I’d rather do that than shell out $600 for a new one. I’ll find a DS shop just to make sure it’s still balanced as well.
IMG_0795.jpeg

Also replacing PCV grommets and elbows. The original ones are old and leak. I will update later with my progress!

So update, I’m doing some more work on the Jeep today. My plan is to remove the exhaust, grind all of the welds down, and just make sure everything looks good in terms of complete penetration. My goal last week was to make sure the exhaust fit, which it does, so now is kind of my “finished product” phase.

I also bought some ujoints to rebuild my front DS. I’m not entirely sure that will help with the vibs but I’d rather do that than shell out $600 for a new one. I’ll find a DS shop just to make sure it’s still balanced as well.
View attachment 492982

Also replacing PCV grommets and elbows. The original ones are old and leak. I will update later with my progress!

Jamison out in the wild.
20230311_105332.jpg

Ok, the exhaust is finally done! That is a huge weight off of my chest now.
IMG_0814.jpeg

IMG_0813.jpeg

So I followed the aforementioned plan on the previous page and everything worked out. Today I basically went through and made sure my initial welds had penetrated and not just stacked. After grinding them down, I was satisfied that they would hold with no leaks.
IMG_0796.jpeg

I then moved to clearance the heck out of the muffler to clear the control arm and bolt. I also won there. I know this project would have been easier using an aftermarket muffler, but I doubt I could have found something as quiet as stock. As a barn-on-wheels owner, the less noise, the better.

IMG_0797.jpeg

I threw some exhaust paint on there to protect the steel from rust, and threw it all back together. Everything fits absolutely perfect, and I could not have asked for any more.
IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0805.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_0811.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

The only thing I might do is notch the rear skid brace just a tad. It’s sitting about 1/4” from the exhaust flange, and while I doubt it’ll drop at all, I’d rather be safe than sorry. The skid has to come off anyways to install the front DS so that will happen sometime this week.
IMG_0807.jpeg

As for noise, there is no discernible difference between stock and what I have done, except that the drivetrain in general is louder since it is so close to the tub. I think I achieved exactly what I wanted to with this project.

My plan is to rebuild the front driveshaft this week, and do a final alignment since I haven’t done one after adjusting the front control arms the last time. I might even have time to get the engine skid on there too.

I am so close to operational status and it feels sooooooooo good to be driving this thing again!

Getting closer! Last night I disassembled the front driveshaft. I’m going to clean it up tonight and put it all back together. The centering yoke felt ok so I don’t think that needs replacing.
IMG_0828.jpeg

IMG_0829.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

I need to pull the skid off to put this back on. I think what I’m going to do is work on the engine skid and getting it lined up where I want. That way I can mark the holes on the TC skid and drill them out while it’s off of the Jeep. Then the front DS, skid plate, and engine skid can all go on together. My plan is to have all of this finished by Friday so I can take Saturday to go wheeling!