2005 Rubicon; A Rubi Brother

It is because one of my Rubi Bros is part of it!
I’m putting up a sign at my little jeep shed that says “Jamison C parking only”

I go around all the time saying “you just wait till Jamison C gets here...he will fix this wire I cut .....I know he lives in Arizona but Santa Claus lives at the north pole and he comes”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tob and John Cooper
@Jamison C . Congrats on the Rubi. Coming along nicely. A Rubi on 32’s tucked with stock gearing is a dream build for me. My inspiration came from seeing a white one run the Escalator in 3 minutes.

Did you change the shocks yet? I bet that will really change the ride quality. I’d personally stay away from the Fox 2.0’s. I had a set I hated. Love that 1st gear with the 4:1! Keep that thing light. Really love a white TJR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamison C
@Jamison C . Congrats on the Rubi. Coming along nicely. A Rubi on 32’s tucked with stock gearing is a dream build for me. My inspiration came from seeing a white one run the Escalator in 3 minutes.

Did you change the shocks yet? I bet that will really change the ride quality. I’d personally stay away from the Fox 2.0’s. I had a set I hated. Keep that thing light. Really love a white TJR.
Thanks man, I’m his older, totally out of style alter ego😜

Really the reason I’m posting Is that little black when I had on 31-32” tires absolutely amazed me- I’ve got a big V-8 one in the build stage with an atlas, etc. I am like “ i’m not sure I need all this” it is showy and all that but a Rubicon is just phenomenal....If it won’t do it I’m not sure I need to be trying it.

A4756CBB-5997-4789-B40A-F26BCD3F4C7B.jpeg

5A2B7120-A4D7-427E-B8B5-1A86F0D3797C.jpeg

Did you change the shocks yet? I bet that will really change the ride quality. I’d personally stay away from the Fox 2.0’s. I had a set I hated. Love that 1st gear with the 4:1! Keep that thing light. Really love a white TJR.
Thank you! The gearing with the NSG370 is ridiculously low. As for shocks I have not, but I'm leaning towards those Skyjacker Black Max shocks I've seen a few discussions on. I had the forum-recommended ranchos on my last jeep and didn't like them very much. They rode great when the jeep was fully loaded with people but the rear just bounced around too much when it was empty, which is normally how I drive it. The Fox 2.0s are rebuildable and I know a guy who knows how to, so I might do that later down the road. Best ride I could probably get aside from an outboard.

I think I'm going to go with the UCF extra clearance skid and just use 1" spacers on it until I'm ready to pull the trigger and get a full control arm set, or at least the rest of the rears, DC shaft etc. I don't think I can shorten the tail housing on the 241 like you can with an SYE on the 231.

Reactions: John Cooper
Getting over being sick since last weekend so I haven’t had any energy to tackle :( This weekend was a good one though as I got to run sound and tech at a Christian school event yesterday for four different bands.
78179332-DD68-423A-AE70-8476B8159CCB.jpeg

Despite being sick, my build resolve has never been stronger. My plan is to continue tucking components. I have a Savvy gas tank skid lined up for purchase from a friend, and I’m planning on installing the UCF extra clearance skid when things slow down before the holidays. My hope is to score some good Black Friday deals but I’m not hopeful as the scamdemic has put immense pressure on demand. But don’t lose hope, this build is happening.

In the meantime, I took my new tap and die set for a spin. I’m a sucker for factory parts and I acquired the OEM satellite radio antenna and module that will work with my factory RBK radio.

There was no hole drilled in the roll bar for the antenna bracket so I made my own. This is an odd shaped bracket, but I found a way to position it to fit through the roll bar padding, marked a hole, used a punch for a drill guide, and went to work.
10AEE955-5A82-47FD-95EC-A98C85BACD23.jpeg

Hole drilled with a 1/4” bit. I have tons of M8x1.25 bolts lying around so I decided to use one up for this project. Not the prettiest tap, but it worked. It’s nice to know how thick the metal is on the chance I want to mount anything anywhere else on the cage.
A325EAA6-BE2B-492B-AF7E-C8D1ECD094A0.jpeg

Bolt went right in and tightened down snug. You can see what I meant by an awkward bracket. This is how it mounts though as confirmed by another forum member with the factory option already installed. The bracket also splits the gap in the padding perfectly.
E0EAD7D1-C546-410E-81AC-204470288B64.jpeg
7220C177-5044-4F4F-86F5-06BA24A6C71A.jpeg

87037ACD-1E5F-4426-888E-1D37FDC97DBB.jpeg

Hardest part is finding the cover which I was lucky enough to receive with this. Looks very clean from the inside.
FD93A1C3-8D6E-4887-A1DD-32F9F32923C5.jpeg
953B791F-7BA2-4458-A775-620D272A035C.jpeg

Soft top bracketry clears the cover and antenna, so all is good on this end!
21B4F8B4-832B-4E65-8362-D050D261A531.jpeg
B049EC0D-DD0F-475A-9ED0-A866C4B6017E.jpeg

The tricky part with this install will be trying to connect the module to the radio. I can do the wiring easily but the problem I’m facing is that I have no connectors to work with. I’ll probably pick through some junked Daimler-era Chrysler vehicles to see if I can find the connectors I need.

Another thing I meant to address regarding the beginning of my TT. I stuck some spacers between the skid and mount to raise the transmission 1.5” which means between that and the MML my drivetrain is sitting an extra 1” or so higher. Since lifting the transmission I’ve had a rattle coming from the front passenger area of the Jeep which I can mimic with shaking the engine ie. significant load or almost stalling the vehicle.

After some investigating, I found the exhaust rattling against the upper control arm mount on the frame side. I’ll solve this by cutting and dropping the vertical exhaust mount where it attaches to the transmission mount by about 2” and welding it back together. This should drop the exhaust enough to stop the rattling and clear everything else. I’ll update once I get it welded.

Getting over being sick since last weekend so I haven’t had any energy to tackle :( This weekend was a good one though as I got to run sound and tech at a Christian school event yesterday for four different bands.
View attachment 287600

Despite being sick, my build resolve has never been stronger. My plan is to continue tucking components. I have a Savvy gas tank skid lined up for purchase from a friend, and I’m planning on installing the UCF extra clearance skid when things slow down before the holidays. My hope is to score some good Black Friday deals but I’m not hopeful as the scamdemic has put immense pressure on demand. But don’t lose hope, this build is happening.

In the meantime, I took my new tap and die set for a spin. I’m a sucker for factory parts and I acquired the OEM satellite radio antenna and module that will work with my factory RBK radio.

There was no hole drilled in the roll bar for the antenna bracket so I made my own. This is an odd shaped bracket, but I found a way to position it to fit through the roll bar padding, marked a hole, used a punch for a drill guide, and went to work.
View attachment 287603

Hole drilled with a 1/4” bit. I have tons of M8x1.25 bolts lying around so I decided to use one up for this project. Not the prettiest tap, but it worked. It’s nice to know how thick the metal is on the chance I want to mount anything anywhere else on the cage.
View attachment 287627

Bolt went right in and tightened down snug. You can see what I meant by an awkward bracket. This is how it mounts though as confirmed by another forum member with the factory option already installed. The bracket also splits the gap in the padding perfectly.
View attachment 287614View attachment 287613
View attachment 287615

Hardest part is finding the cover which I was lucky enough to receive with this. Looks very clean from the inside.
View attachment 287620View attachment 287621

Soft top bracketry clears the cover and antenna, so all is good on this end!
View attachment 287624View attachment 287625

The tricky part with this install will be trying to connect the module to the radio. I can do the wiring easily but the problem I’m facing is that I have no connectors to work with. I’ll probably pick through some junked Daimler-era Chrysler vehicles to see if I can find the connectors I need.
New one on me right there. Good job as always.

Reactions: John Cooper