2005 TJ 4.0 with P0344 camshaft position sensor code (anyone know where to get an OEM sensor?)

drpete1023

Truly about to give up! New PCM in 2017, replaced CPS entire unit, new Autolite XP895plugs, new coil pack, traced out all the wires, cleaned all grounds (do not have original CPS sensor plug anymore). Tried two different ones, still get the P0344 code. I drive to work, seems like never an issue when engine is cool. Randomly, CEL comes on, stutters at a certain RPM, can pull over, shut off engine, restart, and drives great! Sometimes I just park it, go back out to restart and a hard time restarting, turn it off, restart (can always tell if I rev the engine up and look at the rpm gauge if it stumbles there, just restart again). I can NOT seem to find an OEM sensor ANYWHERE!!!!!! Uhhhhhhh, about ready to give the Jeep away! Last chance here.

The current MOPAR sensors are not the same as the originals now. Reports of problems with them as well.

What brand OPDA did you put in?

Was the cam gear worn? It won't matter what OPDA or cam sensor you use if the can gear is bad.

Crown and Dorman I believe? The dealer said it looked like the cam shaft was worn some, and another dealer told me they had never heard of the worn cam shaft doing this and throwing those codes. Did a compression test and all good at like 160 but cylinder 3 at 100? Spark plugs looked perfect. Sooooo, do not think it is the PCM, so looking at just putting in a new motor. Jasper does NOT have any 4.0 blocks to refurbish so I found another company ATK who does a long block including oil pan and timing cover etc., military discount, 1950.00 delivered with 3 years/unlimited mileage warranty! Local shop wants 1500.00 to swap motors? Does not seem practical if cylinder 3 is low compression, to just do cam shaft now. 125kmiles on Jeep.
Thoughts?

Reactions: JMT
Yeah, you need to find out what's up with that cyl before you worry about the OPDA and cam sensor.

That code should mean an intermittent signal from the sensor. Bad sensor or wiring, or some have had issues with the spacing between the tone wheel and the sensor.

I'm guessing you didn't bother having the CPS calibrated with a DRBIII tool after installing it, right?

If so, that is more than likely your issue. Find a local dealer or Jeep repair shop that has a DRBIII tool and have them perform the learning procedure.

I am going to "assume" that the shop that put in the new CPS did that but will dbl check that today. With low compression on cylinder 3, looks like a new engine but want to be 100 percent that with a new engine that I do not have a gremlin again putting in the CPS into that new engine and having same problem given the CPS is no longer OEM and problematic if that makes sense?

Yes, some people were using spacers to get the sensor to work.

I put a Dorman OPDA in mine and didn't have any problems, I got lucky.

I believe the error code for crank and cam sensor misalignment is P0016.

If you go with a rebuilt engine, be sure to check the OPDA gear if you are going to reuse it. A worn gear will damage your new cam gear.

Only code I get is P0340 for cam shaft position sensor. Drove the Jeep to work this am, no CEL, drove to lunch, no CEL. Starting and running fine, then all of a sudden it acts up (seems to happen more when the engine is hot). You could cook dinner on the PCM it gets so hot! As for the engine, Jasper has no 4.0 blocks to refurbish so trying to figure out Plan B on that!

I think you can get most aftermarket brands to work...if you use the DRBIII to calibrate the new sensor.

Drove to work 16 miles, just fine, drove home, just fine. Seems like I never get a CEL in the am, AND it seems this happens most when it is really hot outside! Had a shop spend nearly a day, tracing down wires, signals, voltage, the works, they finally had to adjust the OPDA unit like a few degrees out of normal if that makes sense to get to run properly? They said there was an acceptable range? PCM got replaced in 2017 via MOPAR dealership....I know low compression in cylinder 3, it's a 2005, so not going to pull until I know 100 percent it is the OPDA. Jeep runs AWESOME otherwise! When it stutters, once in a while, pullover, turn off and back on and runs great again (the stutter does not happen very often but again, seems when it is really hot out! You could burn your hand on the PCM!).

The cam sensor can be out +- 15 deg from the crank sensor if I remember correctly. The computer will adjust for it. If more than that, you get a code.

Update, drove to work yesterday am when Jeep was cool and cool outside (cool in Mississippi at 7am is like 80 degrees and 80 percent humidity!), drove home with cloud cover, not too hot, drove back in this am same conditions, NO CEL and or codes! I am really thinking this is a heat related issue (not saying I do not have some wear on the camshaft).

I was chasing this for a long time and had pretty severe issues where it would stall out after my gauges went crazy. Later it turned into false reports of all my O2 sensors being bad at once - ultimately for me it seemed to be the PCM. Swapped that out with a @Wranglerfix PCM and that specific issue is gone.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Dang, their prices are crazy for a standard transmission! My gauges are fine, just a P0340 once in a while and I have a new MOPAR PCM I put in 2017 from the Dealer. Found a place Flagship One, then another called ARES Technologies? 30 day return policy, no restocking fee, anyone ever use them? Really thinking this is a heat issue on the PCM, may put in a small 12v fan to blow on it just to test while driving.

Yeah, it was hard to stomach. Yours may just be something easier, I hope so!

To your original question, check car-part.com for sensors. Just be sure to request pictures to validate (they’ve unknowingly mislisted parts for me before).

Anyone ever use an ATK motor (they have a Gear Head division, that sells to the public, complete long block with oil pan and timing chain cover), military discount 1900.00 delivered! 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty, a no fault warranty for 65.00, will pay 50.00 an hr to have someone remove the motor and reinstall a new one too if their motor fails! Jasper has no more 4.0 blocks to refurbish.

I happen to find a Mopar sensor from a dealership in New Jersey and I am in Louisiana. You got to hunt for them. Find out the part number and make some calls.

Truly about to give up! New PCM in 2017, replaced CPS entire unit, new Autolite XP895plugs, new coil pack, traced out all the wires, cleaned all grounds (do not have original CPS sensor plug anymore). Tried two different ones, still get the P0344 code. I drive to work, seems like never an issue when engine is cool. Randomly, CEL comes on, stutters at a certain RPM, can pull over, shut off engine, restart, and drives great! Sometimes I just park it, go back out to restart and a hard time restarting, turn it off, restart (can always tell if I rev the engine up and look at the rpm gauge if it stumbles there, just restart again). I can NOT seem to find an OEM sensor ANYWHERE!!!!!! Uhhhhhhh, about ready to give the Jeep away! Last chance here.
Have you tried the parts dept at your nearest jeep dealer? You still need to be careful and verify on the spot the part number.
I would try that and see what they come up with.

I was chasing this for a long time and had pretty severe issues where it would stall out after my gauges went crazy. Later it turned into false reports of all my O2 sensors being bad at once - ultimately for me it seemed to be the PCM. Swapped that out with a @Wranglerfix PCM and that specific issue is gone.
Just talked to them, 1149.00.