2005 TJ 4.0 with P0344 camshaft position sensor code (anyone know where to get an OEM sensor?)

This is a super long shot, but I've got an 05 TJ 4.0. I've got 110k on it now, but I was having issues somewhat similar (P0340) and randomly ran like someone suddenly dumped water in my fuel. I chased parts, was at my wits end, and a local Jeep shop said to look at getting a new fuel rail heat shield etc. I'm in Texas, so Hot like MS brother, and it happened in the heat. The fuel in the fuel rail will boil, you get vapor lock and start throwing codes etc and running like crap. I put on something like this and problem was solved.

For the amount of money and effort, may be worth a shot.

I just bought the heat shield kit off amazon with fuel rail, injector, and bottom heat shield protector too! There is actually a TSB out on cylinder 3 injector because I guess it is too close to the manifold and fuel vaporizes! That will from what I read also tear up that cylinder so I did a compression test and cylinder 3 is low........between an older engine 15 years old, 125kmiles, low compression on a cylinder, somewhat worn camshaft, looks like a new motor at some time soon! Thanks!

Reactions: rasband
I just bought the heat shield kit off amazon with fuel rail, injector, and bottom heat shield protector too! There is actually a TSB out on cylinder 3 injector because I guess it is too close to the manifold and fuel vaporizes! That will from what I read also tear up that cylinder so I did a compression test and cylinder 3 is low........between an older engine 15 years old, 125kmiles, low compression on a cylinder, somewhat worn camshaft, looks like a new motor at some time soon! Thanks!
Agree, low compression is not a good thing, ha. Could be a head gasket or piston ring if only 1 is losing compression. That’s Probably a big job coming soon.

I’d give WranglerFix a call to ask specifics, he seemed honest with me about what else to check before I should order.
Just emailed him,,,,Thanks!
Agree, low compression is not a good thing, ha. Could be a head gasket or piston ring if only 1 is losing compression. That’s Probably a big job coming soon.
ATK motor, military discount with timing chain cover on it and new oil pan, 1950.00 to the door on a tommy lift! 3yr/unlimited mileage warranty! 20hr job, no big deal! Figure I hope to run this Jeep another 100k miles plus with no car payment!!!!! Heck, 1950.00 is like 3 monthly Jeep payments for a new one, screw that! Even if not the problem completely and a new pcm is needed, less than 3k total to fix all I figure.

Just emailed him,,,,Thanks!

ATK motor, military discount with timing chain cover on it and new oil pan, 1950.00 to the door on a tommy lift! 3yr/unlimited mileage warranty! 20hr job, no big deal! Figure I hope to run this Jeep another 100k miles plus with no car payment!!!!! Heck, 1950.00 is like 3 monthly Jeep payments for a new one, screw that! Even if not the problem completely and a new pcm is needed, less than 3k total to fix all I figure.

Good stuff, and I agree, better than a new one .........and for me, I wouldn't trade my TJ for a new one, ha. (Well, maybe, then sell the new and buy a TJ and pocket the profit....or spend it all on upgrades, ha)

MS, not sure if you're AF there or other, but either way glad you can get a military discount....and for your service.

Good stuff, and I agree, better than a new one .........and for me, I wouldn't trade my TJ for a new one, ha. (Well, maybe, then sell the new and buy a TJ and pocket the profit....or spend it all on upgrades, ha)

MS, not sure if you're AF there or other, but either way glad you can get a military discount....and for your service.
28 yrs AF, now a DOD contractor....seen it/done it all in my career for sure as a Tactical Comm guy! Thank You!!!!!!!

28 yrs AF, now a DOD contractor....seen it/done it all in my career for sure as a Tactical Comm guy! Thank You!!!!!!!
All good, my brother was a Turbo Prop mechanic on C130's (he would say he "only" worked on the Gunships, HA) My middle son is starting somehow after his Sr. year this year.....he's color blind so AF and Navy mostly out, and he wants to be an Army Ranger and be a trigger puller, always has. Crazy Texas kid!

I just installed this kit minutes ago....a little bit of a pita but a little lithium grease on the new -rings helped for sure, and put them on both sides and then put the injectors and rail back in as one makes it easier. Will see how things go.

I just installed this kit minutes ago....a little bit of a pita but a little lithium grease on the new -rings helped for sure, and put them on both sides and then put the injectors and rail back in as one makes it easier. Will see how things go.
Dang, Amazon same day? Ha

Dang, Amazon same day? Ha
That's funny....no, ordered the kit about 3 days ago (just bought meaning recently), I also ordered some red colored boots too but did not use them. Installation took me about 2-1/2 hrs, had to borrow my buddies tool to pull off the fuel line which is like spring loaded, put some lithium grease on all the new o-rings in the kit before installing (actually had to put the injectors into the fuel rail first, and then down into the block as there was no room to do it otherwise). Pretty simple, just a little scary that the plastic and wires are 15 years old now and always in the hot engine compartment! Break off one of those injector snaps and you are in a mess!

Here is a photo of the completed job. The kit was not a perfect match as I had to use a pair or scissors to cut around brackets and such, then I used some zip ties to neaten things up. Remove the fuel line from the fuel rail like the instructions say first, and then you can drain and catch all the fuel in the rail (u will need a special tool to push in the spring to release the rail from the fuel line). Be super careful with the plastic and wires on the top of each injector! Put a little little bit of grease on the new o-rings before putting on and put them on each end of the injector, put in the injectors, and then put on the fuel rail to the top of the injectors (if you do not do it this way you hit the manifold with the fuel rail. Just some thoughts....Again, never seem to have rough starts or P0340 codes in the am or when cool so going to run for a while, if problem returns with P0340 then will try wranglerfix.com, and if that fails, new motor time....trying the inexpensive options first and we all know the OEM refurbished PCMs are crap!

20200914_082854.jpg

Well, check engine light and P0340 code has not returned since doing the new heat shield kit. My buddy with a 2005 TJ said he also replaced the factory 5 blade fan and a 93 or 94 explorer plastic 9 blade works in the same spot and bolts right up, new fan clutch and some say use a heavy duty one, and he went to a 185 thermostat and it pumps tons of air in his engine compartment and keeps things a little cooler (super hot down here in MS)! Going to do this tomorrow also! Keeping my fingers crossed! There was a TSB from Chrysler about heat issues on number 3 injector as we all know! Trying to do some more research tonight on part numbers and such?

Last edited:
Well, check engine light and P0340 code has not returned since doing the new heat shield kit. My buddy with a 2005 TJ said he also replaced the factory 5 blade fan and a 93 or 94 explorer plastic 9 blade works in the same spot and bolts right up, new fan clutch and some say use a heavy duty one, and he went to a 185 thermostat and it pumps tons of air in his engine compartment and keeps things a little cooler (super hot down here in MS)! Going to do this tomorrow also! Keeping my fingers crossed! There was a TSB from Chrysler about heat issues on number 3 injector as we all know! Trying to do some more research tonight on part numbers and such?
I would not do this, just my opinion, at least the 185 portion. If heat and boiling the fuel there is the problem, altering the cooling system I wouldn't do.

The fan ok I guess, but this shouldn't be an issue with the fan as designed. I hear you on hot, it was 105 for about a month here, and I didn't have issues.

Personally I would let what you've done bake, and see if it has solved it. Over solving sometimes introduces other issues that can confuse what you're trying to fix. That's just me though, and I get your frustration and why you're going above and beyond, ha, I've been there.