2005 tj smells like coolant when air/heat is on

Yeah when i turn on the air/heat i smell anti freeze. theres no apparent leaks and it isnt losing coolant. What is going on? i smell it most when the heat is on.

My bet is your heater core, which always has hot coolant running through it, is leaking. It is located up above the passenger side footwell.

Last edited:
Best and easiest thing is to have your system pressure tested but the smell usually indicates a leak in the heater core. On my son's TJ I went over to Home depot and made up an adapter with 2 hose barb fittings and bypassed the core till it was fixed. The hoses are 2 different internal diameters but with the hose clamps I was able to make it tight.

Reactions: Stinger
Rockauto.com has cores. this part is simple. Replacing the bitch is another story. Get a FSM- No! not Clintons or Haydens. Its not difficult, just a ROYAL PITA

Oh boy. This jeep is starting to remind me of the geo tracker. Well thanks for all the replies. I will see what i can do about this. stay tuned.

OMFG i just saw the directions for this project. I dont think its getting fixed. Anyways i have a jeep wrangler my gf is selling if anyones interested XD

I assume you have a lot of tinnitus from Vietnam? I only did 4 years in the Army, but I have that ringing in my ear from time-to-time.

I did 23 years of artillery and helicopter turbine engines. Had several cortisone shots in my right shoulder. When I retired the VA denied disability! I haven't dealt with that bunch since! Still cant hear and had to have two surgeries on my shoulder.

I did 23 years of artillery and helicopter turbine engines. Had several cortisone shots in my right shoulder. When I retired the VA denied disability! I haven't dealt with that bunch since! Still cant hear and had to have two surgeries on my shoulder.

Why did they deny you disability!? Sure as hell sounds like a disability to me.

I assume you have a lot of tinnitus from Vietnam?
Yep in addition to shitty hearing I have tinnitus too. I can "hear" but it's muffled and women's voices are significantly harder to understand due to their higher frequencies. At least lower pitched men's voices are mostly ok for me so long as I'm not also in a noisy room. I haven't been able to hear a drum cymbal in years.

Stinger, I'd go back to the VA about your issues. They've become a lot more responsive in recent years, my local VA clinic has been treating me extremely (!) well.

Mine does when I 1st turn it on, maybe 20 secs then no smell? I have found no leaks either.

Sorry about the VA woes gents.

Mine does when I 1st turn it on, maybe 20 secs then no smell? I have found no leaks either.
The vent system is probably just carrying the coolant odor out of the Jeep. I can think of no reason you should smell coolant at all in the interior except when the heater core is leaking.