2005 with P0344 issue

JonTX

Ok, i have been having the dreaded P0344 code issue.
Its a 2005 TJ with ~66K miles on it.

Here is what has been done:

OPDA was replaced several months back due to a P0344 code when driving one day. Trusted Jeep mechanic said the wear was not bad. Drove it a few days, code comes back. Attempt to use the original sensor off of the original OPDA, but could not get it off. Order a MOPAR one. Replace with MOPAR, goes a while with out code. Then code comes back when it gets cold outside. Found an original sensor and waiting for it to come it. Going to try that.

Next step is crankshaft sensor i guess. Also looking for any rubbed wires, but I am not a electronics guy. If anyone can point me to the area and the wire(s) i should be looking for that would be helpful.

Also trying to find a dealer that can flash this TSB, local dealer did not have the proper adapter. http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_300C_Forums/TSB_1801509.pdf

After that i guess its PCM and cam? I hope it does not come to that.

Thanks for the help.

Update: I have put my OEM original sensor that i got from SgtJeep. So far with a mid to upper 40's degree morning we are code free. fingers crossed this fixes it.

I also have an '05 and went through basically the same scenario as you, including the inability to remove the original sensor from the original OPDA, and a new OEM sensor that threw codes when cold.

I found an old original sensor on eBay, installed it, and no more codes through most of 2 winters so far. As long as the timing was set correctly with the new OPDA (often not done correctly based on numerous forum posts), you should be good.

I also have an '05 and went through basically the same scenario as you, including the inability to remove the original sensor from the original OPDA, and a new OEM sensor that threw codes when cold.

I found an old original sensor on eBay, installed it, and no more codes through most of 2 winters so far. As long as the timing was set correctly with the new OPDA (often not done correctly based on numerous forum posts), you should be good.
I had the OPDA installed by a highly regarded Jeep Shop so we shall see. Thanks for the comment!!!

I had the OPDA installed by a highly regarded Jeep Shop so we shall see. Thanks for the comment!!!

It's really easy to check and correct if necessary per the FSM. I have no idea why so many people choose to half-ass the process.

Is it possible when you replaced your OPDA that you accidentally got the timing off a bit? I've seen this happen many times, and if the timing is just barely off, it may not be noticeable, but could be enough to cause that error code I believe.

@JMT just went through this and had to re-time is engine last I read.

Is it possible when you replaced your OPDA that you accidentally got the timing off a bit? I've seen this happen many times, and if the timing is just barely off, it may not be noticeable, but could be enough to cause that error code I believe.

@JMT just went through this and had to re-time is engine last I read.
It’s possible I guess. I will add that to my list of things to look at.

Reactions: Chris
Have not re-timed it yet, been busy at work.

I did noticed my positive cable on my battery was loose, re-tightened it, no code so far.

Have not re-timed it yet, been busy at work.

I did noticed my positive cable on my battery was loose, re-tightened it, no code so far.
Yeeeaaaaa so that was not it, came back on. The timing looked pretty close, was able to adjust the ODPA a little, so we will see if that made any difference.

Not sure if this is a coincidence but it seems to happen more when i turn left ? Short maybe?

Ok update. The other day i had the P0016 code show up. So I replaced crankshaft sensor, adjusted the ODPA, and so far so good. We will see.

@JonTX have you taken a look at the condition of the gear on the camshaft? I am have been struggling with the issue as you on my '05, and when I recently pulled the opda and looked at the camshaft I found this...
20190303_110442.jpg

With all the people on this forum having this issue, and Jeep already issuing a recall for select Jeeps within the' 04 and '05 models, would a class action lawsuit be possible / worth it to keep Jeep to issue a recall for all Jeeps within the 04 - 06 model years?

Reactions: KCsTJ
@JonTX have you taken a look at the condition of the gear on the camshaft? I am have been struggling with the issue as you on my '05, and when I recently pulled the opda and looked at the camshaft I found this... View attachment 85019

With all the people on this forum having this issue, and Jeep already issuing a recall for select Jeeps within the' 04 and '05 models, would a class action lawsuit be possible / worth it to keep Jeep to issue a recall for all Jeeps within the 04 - 06 model years?

When i replaced my OPDA, it was not very worn. So I have "re-timed" the OPDA and have not had any codes for over a week, even with cold/cooler weather. Fingers crossed i have it fixed.

When i replaced my OPDA, it was not very worn. So I have "re-timed" the OPDA and have not had any codes for over a week, even with cold/cooler weather. Fingers crossed i have it fixed.

Well its been back off and on, including today. Not sure if this matters, but it has never happened at start up. seems to happen ad operating temperature. Next step is to get the TSB done. Then start looking for a short. Today it happened when i went over a speedbump.....could be coincidence.

Went back and adjusted the OPDA, i think i was still off....the code i had gotten was the 16 not the 34. Dealer will not flash the TSB unless the CE light is on, seems like it goes away by the time i can get to the dealer.....

I’m getting a same thing of P0344 codes intermittently, maybe every hundred miles or so. The CEL has come on at highway speeds all except once, and I’ve had the speedo jumping after it came on. I also stalled today at a light after it came on.

All this has happened shortly after replacing the OPDA, I’m going to try a new crown unit and need to double check grounds.

Well, it's been at least 3 weeks and no CEL. I made an adjustment to the position of the OPDA, and it's been good so far. Fingers crossed!!!

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons