Zinyekim

Hi folks!

I just became the proud owner of a new-to-me 2005 Wrangler Willy's edition. It doesn't have the sticker package (I checked the option sheet, it was spec'd without it), but it does have the camo seats. Unfortunately, the green soft top was in disrepair, so that's gone on my list of things to improvement for the jeep. It has the NSG370 transmission, which will sometimes jump out of 1st gear, as well as a Dana 35 in the rear.

Besides general maintenance (oil, belts, cleaning, etc.) I have also changed the transmission fluid for Redline MTL, put a Sierra off-road soft top on, and am looking to upgrade sub-woofer soon, as the factory one was completely shot.

I know that this is very early in the build, but I am looking to do a mild overland set up while still keeping it livable as a daily driver. I have around a 30 min commute right now and use the wrangler every day.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on must have adjustments for the 2005 Tj? I'm very happy with the 4.0 Liter, but am less than please with the Dana 35 and NSG370 so far.

I'll update this thread as I go, but for now, here are some pictures before I go out to take some more:

20180529_172505.jpg

20180529_182042.jpg

Reactions: Dawghouse
The NSG370 is pretty hit or miss transmission. While some people will say it's never given them issues, it seems that everything I read is quite the opposite. It's loud, it's very notchy with the shifts, and the popping out of gear thing seems to be a fairly common occurrence as well when they start to age.

The NV3550 5-speed that came on the 2000-2004 models before it is supposed to be little better from what I've read. I've heard of people swapping the NSG370 out with the NV3550, but in your case it might be best just to have your transmission overhauled by a competent transmission repair shop.

As for the Dana 35, don't assume that it's a bad axle. Quite the contrary actually. Check out this thread: Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?

The Dana 35 gets a bad reputation from parrots on the internet who don't have any real world experience with it, they simply like to repeat other people (who are wrong) when they say it's a bad axle.

If you turn your Dana 35 into a Super 35 axle, you can safely run 35" tires in some of the toughest terrain and be just fine. Planning on staying with 33s? Even better then, you'll have nothing to worry about at all with a Super 35 kit!

Anyhow, that's a fine looking TJ you've got there. It's a shame it doesn't have the green top. What's more of a shame is that no one seems to make aftermarket tops for these in any other color than tan, spice, and black.

Nice looking Jeep, welcome to the forum. So, the 6 spd can be finicky. Mine would pop out of first when I first bought it. But, shortly after switching to MTL that issue went away. It is still notchy from 1 - 2 but I have adapted to its quirks. Just remember, it is not a car trans that is made to be speed shifted. Take it slow and let it "fall into gear" before letting out the clutch.

The 35 is a decent axle, within reason, and can be beefed up with the S35 as @Chris already mentioned.

There are a couple threads about swapping out the stock sub driver around here somewhere.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
My only beef with the Dana 35 so far was the previous owner must've hit something hard with the rear drive side wheel because the axle was very bent. That ultimately destroyed the teeth of the gears in the differential.

Resized_20180523_165711.jpeg

After getting it fixed, however, I have no complaints. It drives like a dream, no wobble at all and a lot less trouble with the transmission as well. The MTL transmission fluid combined with the axle fix seems to have really helped the issues I was having.

Thank you guys for those links, I feel more comfortable working with the rear end after hearing that. My ultimate goal is to put a 2.5 inch Quadratec lift along with some 33 inch tires. These are fairly distant goals as of now, because I would like to get more comfortable with the interior set up.

My next project is to repair the stock green top. The main issues are the zippers on the rear and driver side windows. The rear window also has two massive gashes that need to be repaired. I have zipper lube and two replacement zippers, so I plan to tackle that with the next free weekend I have. I will update you guys when I've made progress.

The stock 35 spiders aren't all that strong. Does not take much to break them. Do some research on lifts before choosing the QT lift. You can do much better. I would also check your gear ratio before installing 33's. Looking at the thinness and tooth count on the ring gear, it is very possible you have 3.07.

Yes It does have the 3.07 gears, what would you recommend I upgrade to? I would like an appropriate ratio for DDing along with some light offroading. I know the Rubicon is 4.11, but was thinking 4.56. Is 4.56 too high for everyday driving? And how hard is it to change out those gears?

I would definitely like to do this right, but preferably without breaking the bank. Would it be better to beef up this axle, or invest in a ford 8.8 or Dana 44 down the line?

Thank you for all the help so far, I look forward to this project!

Last edited:
For 33's and 6 spd 4.56 is a great choice. A gear swap is not for beginners and best left to those experienced.

My only beef with the Dana 35 so far was the previous owner must've hit something hard with the rear drive side wheel because the axle was very bent. That ultimately destroyed the teeth of the gears in the differential.

View attachment 43183

After getting it fixed, however, I have no complaints. It drives like a dream, no wobble at all and a lot less trouble with the transmission as well. The MTL transmission fluid combined with the axle fix seems to have really helped the issues I was having.

Thank you guys for those links, I feel more comfortable working with the rear end after hearing that. My ultimate goal is to put a 2.5 inch Quadratec lift along with some 33 inch tires. These are fairly distant goals as of now, because I would like to get more comfortable with the interior set up.

My next project is to repair the stock green top. The main issues are the zippers on the rear and driver side windows. The rear window also has two massive gashes that need to be repaired. I have zipper lube and two replacement zippers, so I plan to tackle that with the next free weekend I have. I will update you guys when I've made progress.
I can't say I've ever seen a green factory soft top. Any photos of said top? IMO, the tan top / green TJ is the best combination of all time...

I don't have too many photos, just some I took the day I picked it up. Here is the best one:

download_20180604_171946.jpg

It's kinda hard to tell how green it is, but it was only available on the 2004 and 2005 Willy's Edition Tj's. I like the way it looks, but I'll have to agree with the Tan on Green look.

Cannot figure out why anyone would have removed the Willys decal and replaced it with an 'X'...

I thought the same at first, but the sticker package was an optional extra.

Here is the build sheet if you doubt it, but I guess they optioned them like this!

Attachments

• BuildSheetServlet.pdf
    5.6 KB · Views: 511
I thought the same at first, but the sticker package was an optional extra.

Here is the build sheet if you doubt it, but I guess they optioned them like this!

Code:
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=9F68CBAADA374BA8&resid=9F68CBAADA374BA8%2120882&authkey=ALDHIzhQkl_8XQg&em=2" width="476" height="288" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
I am not doubting you have the package. I just can't see why Jeep would charge for the package and not label it as such. Optional stickers?? Ridiculous.

If that was a document, or a link, it didn't come through right...

I am not doubting you have the package. I just can't see why Jeep would charge for the package and not label it as such. Optional stickers?? Ridiculous.

Oh I'm sorry, I edited it and included the document. (I tried to embed — It didn't work)

I agree, stickers shouldn't cost extra, and I was considering adding some of them at some point. I know Mopar now likes to give you the option to take them off for no extra cost, but adding them at cost? Certainly silly.

Cannot figure out why anyone would have removed the Willys decal and replaced it with an 'X'...
Maybe mines a Willy’s too!

Why anyone would opt for an X decal is odd. Are they trying to go undercover?

So, a sit-rep:

Recently, the Wrangler has been having a hesitant, almost sputtering driving style. I believe there may be an issue along the fuel line, either at the pump or the injectors. I very much hope that it is one of those simple fixes.

I plan on checking the fuel pressure this weekend, and will update you all after its done with my conclusions.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to anything else it could be? I believe the pressure should be 49 psi, is that correct?

Hopefully next update will be more exciting!