2005 Wrangler X Build: Building to Trek out for Photoshoots and the Rubicon

JohnZ

So first of all big thanks to the TJ Forum for giving me so much good information and critiques of my parts list before embarking on this endeavor. I started off on this thread and was given a lot of insight, so I have decided to tweak my parts list.

Also my objective changed a bit:

1. I saw the Jeep Jamborees and I really want to participate in those.
2. The craziest Jamboree is the Rubicon. I want to work up to that eventually.
3. I want to be able to hustle myself, my wife, and a photographer into the more isolated parts of OC for cosplay photoshoots, which, so far, has been my primary hobby. Currently we have to hike out, and it's super NOT fun. A Jeep seems like the logical solution. Here's some pictures for those interested in the order of magnitude of the stuff we have had to hike a mile or so in.

6Eo21IUm.jpg

Jc67gifm.jpg

Lift:

Zone 4" Lift
Thought process:
I want to clear 33" tires safely and was recommended the Zone lift. I fully understand what I am getting myself into with a beginner lift, especially after reading the 18mo review on this site but I'll be honest I would rather get a cheap package for now ($500 in the grand scheme of things is not a lot) acclimate to the hobby, figure out what I like and then create a custom lift kit myself.

SYE & Driveshaft

SYE and Driveshaft
Thought process:
SYE and CV driveshaft to eliminate rattling and improve the driveline. Got advice on this forum to get a custom driveshaft instead of a premade one. Adams Driveshaft seemed to get good reviews and the package deal was ~$40 cheaper overall. Win!

Regear & Lockers

I went to RWKHaus Supply and Robert is known to do a solid job regearing here in OC, CA. I went with his advice on what I should put in there for my goals and he will be installing the following:

Base regear to 4.56 ratio
Dana 30 Yukon Grizzly mechanical locker
Dana 35 30spline Yukon Zip air locker
Dana 35 30spline Revolution axle kit
Dana 35 pinion bearing kit and install at time of re-gear

I opted to do the compressor install myself to get more understanding of the Jeep:

Air up locker compressor CKMA12
Air Vent switch panel
Air up fitting/hose kit

Wheels and Tires

Aluminum Wheels - 15" diameter. 8" width.
Mudclaw Tires - 33" diameter. 12.5" width.

Thoughts: I flipped flopped a lot on this, reading about unsprung weight and being able to beat steel wheels back into useablity, also wtf is a Mudclaw? So first things first, Extreme Terrain is incredibly cheap (especially with the 6% forum discount) when you buy wheels and tires together. However they take FOREVER to get them to you and their system is so bad concerning wheels and tires. They keep their tires on the west coast, and their wheels on the east coast, ship the tires to the east coast, mount & balance, then ship BACK to the west coast for delivery. In an effort to expedite this insane process I opted to get the Mudclaw Extreme M/T tires linked since they were supposedly on the same coast. Nope. Still taking forever. If you have a couple of months to burn go through Extreme Terrain....but man never gain wheels AND tires from them. Everything else through them is awesome though.

Exterior Stuff:

Winch
Front Bumper....for the winch
Thought process:
Keep reading on here how the best thing to get is a winch, for safety reasons, so I got that. Needed a bumper to attach it to.

Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
Thought process:
Rear bumper and tire carrier to accommodate the larger wheel/tire, not entirely sure about if this is necessary though.

Roof Rack + Basket
Thought process:
Thing I hated about my TJ (X) is that I have no cargo capacity, roof rack seems safer than tow hitch rack, also looks like this model I can still swing my soft top with just removing the cross bars and basket instead of the entire assembly like other models.

Rock Guards
Thought process:
My coworkers told me as a new driver, and as a general rule, that I would need rock guards around the local trails.

Flares
Softtop
Thought process:
My stock flares and top are the same ones from when I bought the Jeep in 2006. I can't see out the back.

Finally here's the Jeep and a bit of history on her.

I had just graduated as a Nuclear Machinist Mate and was on my way to my first duty station onboard USS Ronald Reagan in San Diego CA. 19yo me made the ridiculous decision of blowing his enlistment bonus on buying a brand new vehicle with the largest engine that he could afford. Honestly I am thankful 19yo me was ridiculous enough to opt for the 4.0L option, but I am still averse to buying new vehicles....

Pic of when I had just got her:
T98jIxPl.jpg

From 2006 to Today I would go to put 100k miles on the odo. Honestly I stored this vehicle for almost 4 years total since I was on deployment so often and during college I rode my bike to and from campus to save on parking. For a 12 yo vehicle 100k is pretty solid.

In any case here is a pic I took today 9/20/2018. I don't even have matching tires lol.

KFmEE4wl.jpg

I even still have that ugly wheel cover from the dealer I went to. They are LONG out of business lol.

tgiN94zl.jpg

In any case the majority of the parts arrived at my coworkers house and he was kind enough to provide both mechanical guidance as well as a venue to do the installation. The parts took up a good chunk of his garage:

F6dxnfSl.jpg

Going to start putting it all together Saturday. Extreme Terrain is still giving me grief about wheels and tires so I'll have all of my stuff put on...and teeny tiny wheels/tires most likely. It's going to look really silly for awhile T_T.

I will update as we go! Thanks for reading!

Looks like a great blank canvas to start from, and apparently the parts are already piling up in your garage (I can relate). Next thing you know you'll be into it for 20k or more... it happens fast!

Ok I am back. I intended to update as I go but things got...hectic and stressful. Haha I think people can relate.

So we started pretty damn early. I didn't account for it but unboxing all that stuff and organizing all the hardware took a couple of hours. Definitely ate into our daylight.

(Junkers, our dog, is helping keep the boxes in place)
gS3FV5vl.jpg

Geting the vehicle jacked up, on stands, removing wheels & tires and organizing parts. I didn't realize organization would be so key, especially since so many components were going in at the same time.

dpIPaZwl.jpg

Here is the front bumper going in after we had removed the wheels & tires and gotten it on jack stands. Kind of looks like it's floating.

FaP0A2ul.jpg

We have a lot of pictures but safe to say we had the normal drama (since I got a cheapo lift with fixed control arms) of things not fitting, and lots of creative jacking. Pictured is my coworker "Bird." He's a self proclaimed redneck mechanic with several truly absurd creations under his belt. He's the one that encouraged me to try this wrenching hobby out, and is the one that guided me with the install. I'm really grateful.

D8Z8WSdl.jpg

So the drama with Extreme Terrain:

1. I ordered a wheel + tire package that included KM2's. 3 weeks later they never ship. WTF!?
2. Call customer service and they offer to give me a different tire at normal price. Sure. Got some really cheapo tires but hey they will get the build going.
3. Wait another 2 weeks. Apparently the tires are in their west coast warehouse and the wheels are int he east coast warehouse. Both items must occupy the same coast to get mounted + balanced. WTF x 2!?!? Now I am upset.
4. Call customer service and the guy (Joel) sees I have been given the run around. He apologizes and gives me Dick Cepek Extreme Country Tires (because they are in the same warehouse as the wheels) and gives me free mounting+balancing and gives me everything AT COST. I was upset, but they made it right. Genuinely very impressed and will come back to do business for sure.

In any case I had to stare at this abomination while I waited for the wheels & tires to arrive.

OzldhtJl.jpg

9HO6h2tl.jpg

We continued to picked at it during the work week, so pictures are non existent. First test drive time!

ttVsNjal.jpg

Took our first test drive and for some reason gears 2, 4 and 6 would kick out when engaged. Realized we forgot to bolt in the transmission mount (oops). Tried that and now only 2nd gear was kicking out. After some research realized the transfer case drop was unnecessary (you can see it in the above picture) since a SYE and CV driveshaft was installed. Which leads to the next problem.... but first some glamor pics since, at least aesthetically, the thing is, at the moment, complete.

s3g34Bhl.jpg

WyoU1dTl.jpg

Kfb2DqWl.jpg

PKakZvBl.jpg

Before and after:

e7c5QqFl.jpg

In any case I drive the vehicle back to my home (we have been working out of Bird's driveway) to remove the skid plate and the transfer case drop. Get home. Realize I cannot fit in my garage. Ultimate first world problem. Removing the the roof basket allows me to get in with my roof rack just barely knicking the garage door. Yeeesh.

WcqUZHcl.jpg

S0puqMcl.jpg

You can see him in the first photo but my electrician came over and offered to help with wiring up the lights, winch, and locker air compressor. I have enough sense to set my pride aside and let him do his thing....

So I unbolt the skid plate and wind up free spinning the nutserts. Ordered new nutserts from Black Magic Brakes so now I am at a dead stop in the project lol. Before the free spun the nutserts though I was able to drive it without the transfer case drop, and that resolved the shifting issue which was a huge relief.

U8uQ6r0l.jpg

So yeah skid plate in on the deck. Waiting for nutserts to arrive as well as a new speedo gear. I forgot to mention I got the mechanic (Robert) at RWK Haus to do the regear, and front + rear locker install so when I was driving around it was a bit jarring for me to see on the speedo I was doing 120 mph on the freeway when I was clearly not...

Any advice on removing the nutserts is appreciated, because they are wrecking me. I hear drilling and angle grinding are the two options.

I just replaced a nutzert over the weekend. Easiest way to get them out is to carefully grind the head of the zert down even with the frame with an angle grinder and a 60 grit flap disc and just pop it out of the way. The remaining inner portion will hang out in the frame. If your OCD gets you, you can try and snake the remaining portion out with one of those snake magnets thru one of the larger holes in the side of the frame.
DSCN0654.JPG
DSCN0655.JPG
DSCN0656.JPG
DSCN0657.JPG

Reactions: derekmac
Looks like you had a yard sale going on. If I drove past that scene I don't think I could have resisted the urge to stop and check it out. The jeep looks really good. Well done sir.

I really like the wheels.