2006 Black Wrangler LJ in Texas

I also had to replace the oil pump drive assembly (aka distributor). It had the problem all '06s have with the monkey squeeling and such. Hopefully I got it before there was damage to the camshaft that some others had talked about. The worm gear on the bottom of the OPDA didn't look damaged.

Reactions: Chris
Interesting, generally it's the 05s that had the issue, not typically the 06s. You can shine a light down there and look. enough to see the camshaft. However, if you didn't see any damage to the worm gear, chances are you caught it before things got bad,

Reactions: JMT
Also, keep us posted on the radiator. I've never heard of a single Mishimoto radiator making it past 2 years (most die much sooner), as they apparently are known for lots of issues.

Still, that's just what I've "heard", so I look forward to your input over the long run.

I don't know either, from the "cheap seats" it's on there now. If it fails or if I have to remove it for something than I'll think about putting it back on or not. The wrangler had a bit a swaying motion with the 31/10.5-15s on it. Now with the new W/Ts it seems to be doing better. We'll see how it goes. Thanks, MOE

"Buying a used jeep is like a box of Chocolates, you neve know what you're going to get"

That was insightful. It fits perfectly. I am using that.

FYI, the frame color is matched perfect with Krylon Semi-Flat.

Not sure what you’re planning for rear bumper and tire carrier, but they are very expensive and just about every one I have seen has problems. I prefer the Moryde/Exogate. It will handle up to a 35 easy and is much lighter. It also allows you to open the tailgate as normal and without the additional step of unlocking the mechanism from the bumper to swing it out, and then the tailgate separately. It’s also only $329 and then you have a lot more bumper options.

There is often a small strip of metal on the diff cover bolts that list your gear ratio.

I have read the Moryde/Exogate are pretty good. I have settled on the ARB bumper with tire carrier, but it is expensive. They have two, one is a separate swing to the tail gate, the other swings with the tail gate. I think I will go with the one that swing with the tail gate. Another reason is I want to get rid of the stock bumper and if I go with the Exogate, the wife may not let me spend more money on a bumper. So, combo it is. Either way I will have to take her out for a night on the town.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Love the LJ! Got a black one myself. I see you do not have door surrounds be careful when shutting the doors, don't smash them too hard until you get the surrounds as the flex in the door & window frame can make them crack there :(

Door surrounds? I have come across that. The wife slams the door every time I have the top off. I just take the doors off as well. With that being said, what are door surrounds?

So after I replaced the OPDA I had to check to see if I was 1 tooth off. In the process of the checking TDC I pulled #1 plug and at 150,000 miles they might have been the original plugs. If not they have been on there for a while. I ended up replacing them of course. The old ones had a gap around .070 and the new plugs were around .037. Now it's time to get ready to remove the dash so I can replace the Evaporator core. I will replace the heater core while I'm in there. Waiting to see what else jumps out screaming for attention once I get the dash out.

SP 1.jpg

SP3.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I manage to get the dash out and replaced the evap core and heater core and back together. So far the only issue is now the steering wheel locks upside down. Probably something with the clock spring. I'll check and fix it later. I got it back together before work called so that's good. I'll get the a/c charged just in time to not use it 24 hours a day. I now want to meet the person/persons who designed how and where the air box mounts to the firewall and "THROAT PUNCH" them at once an hours for 5+ hours. Next will be removing the carpet and praying the floor with something, lizard skin or U-Pol Raptor black or something similar.

dash 1.jpg

dash 2.jpg

dash 3.jpg

dash 4.jpg