2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - My Second Yellow Build

Damazzaro

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Why second yellow build? Kind of funny but this is now my 2nd yellow Wrangler. I have a yellow 2000 sport and now happily own a yellow 2006 Rubicon. I had planned to slowly make all the rubicon specific modifications to my sport but I found this deal and couldn't resist. I don't necessarily plan on doing the most extreme off-roading but would like to build my Jeep to more than capable. Eventually plan on taking it out west (Utah, Colorado, Nevada, etc) to do more than I was capable of doing in my sport. Anyway, as I slowly add more and more items to the vehicle I plan on taking pictures for installation and documenting any issues or modifications I make. Here it is, pretty much completely stock:

20180615_132508 (1).jpg

Parts List:
- Currently none.

Side note:
Here's the first 2000 sport just so you can see a picture
FB_IMG_1506655581083.jpg

Reactions: MellowYellow
Very nice. I have some photos of a previously owned 2006 yellow Rubicon, lifted on 33s. The only issue is the photos are on that crappy Photobucket, and every time I try to download them, the downloaded photos are either compressed vertically or horizontally, and I have not figured out how to fix that. Let me see if I can find the link to send you to see what it looked like....

What you see, minus the nets & Spiderwebshade, is how I bought it. I would not have picked those bumpers and rocker guards, but they came with it. I did not keep it long enough to do any real mods to it myself.

I think I found a way around those crooks at Photobucket:
upload_2018-7-2_13-45-16.png

upload_2018-7-2_13-46-2.png

upload_2018-7-2_13-46-32.png

upload_2018-7-2_13-47-18.png

upload_2018-7-2_13-47-59.png

upload_2018-7-2_13-48-32.png

Last edited:
I love yellow TJ’s. One of my favorites colors. I’d love a Flame Red, Yellow, Impact Orange, Patriot Blue, Lime Green, Black and White.

Very nice. I have some photos of a previously owned 2006 yellow Rubicon, lifted on 33s. The only issue is the photos are on that crappy Photobucket, and every time I try to download them, the downloaded photos are either compressed vertically or horizontally, and I have not figured out how to fix that. Let me see if I can find the link to send you to see what it looked like....

What you see, minus the nets & Spiderwebshade, is how I bought it. I would not have picked those bumpers and rocker guards, but they came with it. I did not keep it long enough to do any real mods to it myself.

Lovely looking yellow Rubicon! I always pondered getting a netting for my 2000 since many of my friends still try to step on the flares to get in the back seat. That would force them to put down the front seat and do the contortionist act to get in the back, lol.

I love yellow TJ’s. One of my favorites colors. I’d love a Flame Red, Yellow, Impact Orange, Patriot Blue, Lime Green, Black and White.
I really love a yellow Rubicon... It looks so good!

Thank you! I really wanted either a yellow or lime-green. It really makes you stick out as you drive down the road. Something I didn't like too much when I first started driving my yellow sport but now love it.

Reactions: Chris
Yellow grows on you, I'll say that. I never used to like it, but I definitely like it these days!

Recently installed these BodyArmor 4x4 side rails. I've seen them on a few of the build threads floating around the forums. Enjoy how close it sits to the body and the ease of installation

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NP1PPG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

20180621_155131.jpg

I did have to do a small modification so it would fit with the stock Rubicon body armor that came installed from the factory. I took a Dremel and notched out a slightly larger area on the side rail so the metal could clear the Rubicon body armor. Then hit it with some rust preventative spray paint so it wasn't bare metal. Super easy and only added an extra ~15 minutes to the install, which took about an hour anyway.

20180621_151712.jpg 20180621_155156.jpg

I've got a front bumper, and some Black Magic pads / Centric rotors on the way. Will also update on those.

Recently installed these BodyArmor 4x4 side rails. I've seen them on a few of the build threads floating around the forums. Enjoy how close it sits to the body and the ease of installation

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NP1PPG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 46484

I did have to do a small modification so it would fit with the stock Rubicon body armor that came installed from the factory. I took a Dremel and notched out a slightly larger area on the side rail so the metal could clear the Rubicon body armor. Then hit it with some rust preventative spray paint so it wasn't bare metal. Super easy and only added an extra ~15 minutes to the install, which took about an hour anyway.

View attachment 46485 View attachment 46489

I've got a front bumper, and some Black Magic pads / Centric rotors on the way. Will also update on those.

I run the same side rails. Absolutely love them! Weird that I didn't have to modify them at all on my 2005 Rubicon to work with the factory rocker panel armor. Mine just bolted right on.

I run the same side rails. Absolutely love them! Weird that I didn't have to modify them at all on my 2005 Rubicon to work with the factory rocker panel armor. Mine just bolted right on.

I couldn't give you a specific answer for that, but I did read the reviews of the body armor side rails. Someone mentioned they needed to slot out one of the mounting holes. I like to think it's just manufacturing inconsistencies, but who knows, maybe I installed it at a slight angle. For me it doesn't take away from the company or the product in the slightest. Very pleased so far with everything.

Reactions: Chris
I couldn't give you a specific answer for that, but I did read the reviews of the body armor side rails. Someone mentioned they needed to slot out one of the mounting holes. I like to think it's just manufacturing inconsistencies, but who knows, maybe I installed it at a slight angle. For me it doesn't take away from the company or the product in the slightest. Very pleased so far with everything.

Yes, they are fantastic side rails, that's for sure. I love the way mine match up with my Mopar Rock Crawler bumpers.

Reactions: Damazzaro
I run the same ones. One of them needed some trimming on the forward bracket to fit correctly. Quick trim with the angle grinder and some Rust-Oleum and all's good.

Reactions: Damazzaro
I love yellow TJs. Great examples here @Damazzaro and @glwood (man, how many awesome Wranglers have you owned haha .. I've seen the green JK(?) and the silver TJ and now this gorgeous yellow one).

I installed those same body armor ones this weekend following strong recommendation from @Chris. Very easy install, I spent more time getting out the old crappy chrome Westin ones that came with the Jeep when I bought it. They look great on my black rubicon and no mods were needed. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

I love yellow TJs. Great examples here @Damazzaro and @glwood (man, how many awesome Wranglers have you owned haha .. I've seen the green JK(?) and the silver TJ and now this gorgeous yellow one)..
Since you asked...here are a couple more. 2003 X & a khaki 2006 Rubicon (still not sure why I sold this one...)
IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

The khaki Rubicon will strike a note with @Chris, it was exactly like the one he picked up, with the exception of it being a 6-speed manual.

Reactions: Artemis and Chris
@glwood .. have you considered the notion that you may have a thing for TJs ;)

The khaki rubicons are great. It will hide trail dust very well.

You got that right.

Silver is right up there with khaki. Does not show dust and dirt nearly as much as the darker colors.

If I had a choice to pick for color for y TJ, I would have taken dark army green (best color for jeeps imo) or silver (for practicality). My silver Mazda Protege is from 1999 and hides small scratches so incredibly well and still looks new given it's age and mileage. My black Rubicon shows every single speck of dust even with a nice weekly handwash that I do. It's hard to keep it looking clean:(

May I ask what made you sell those TJs? You wanting something better each time?

If I had a choice to pick for color for y TJ, I would have taken dark army green (best color for jeeps imo) or silver (for practicality). My silver Mazda Protege is from 1999 and hides small scratches so incredibly well and still looks new given it's age and mileage. My black Rubicon shows every single speck of dust even with a nice weekly handwash that I do. It's hard to keep it looking clean:(

May I ask what made you sell those TJs? You wanting something better each time?
My choice for a Jeep would also be Jeep Green. To me, that is the quintessential Jeep color. As far as the tale of the TJs come and gone, it's a long and involved story. I will summarize it starting with the blue '97 Sport I had in 2006 that I now have the half doors from being repainted silver. In 2006, my mom passed away suddenly from complications due to surgery. When I was going through her papers after she was gone, I came across a letter from her, with instructions on how to handle her estate. In that letter, she specifically said to buy myself a truck or vehicle with some of the estate. She knew my penchant for trucks and Jeeps, and wanted to be a blessing that way, even after she was gone. I took her up on her generosity, and in August 2006 sold that '97 Sport to a co-worker, and ordered a brand new 2007 JKR, which you have seen pictures of, in Jeep green. I ordered it exactly the way I wanted it. You might see in some of the photos of that JKR the license plate, which said THX MOM, which now you know why.

I ran with that JKR until 2012, whereupon I simply decided that given the way JKs are, and how I used to love driving TJs, to trade it for that yellow TJR. Should have kept the JKR, if for no other reason but because of why I bought it in the first place. I have regretted that decision to this day.

Going forward, the yellow TJR had some transmission issues, and because of that and regretting trading the JKR, I took that yellow TJR and my wife's Rav4, and traded them both for an almost new Honda Civic. I ran without a Jeep for a while, then got looking again. That's when I found the Khaki 2006 Rubicon. I drove that for six months or so, but for some reason was not satisfied with it either. I sold a Tacoma and that TJR on Craigslist, to one buyer who wanted a Jeep and a truck for his son. Six months later, I decided to get another TJ, and bought the '03 X. If fixed that up and drove it for a couple years, then my buddy wanted to buy it, so I sold it to him. I then got a 2012 JK Sport and drove that for a year. I stumbled on the 2004 TJR when I was getting my latest Tacoma's oil changed at a Toyota dealership. I made a deal a few days later, sold the JK Sport, and the rest is history. That was in June of 2016.

I love the 2004 TJR, it has been the best of the bunch. When I ordered the 2007 JKR, I almost got one of the last 2006 TJRs that were left on the lots prior to the JK release, but didn't. Given the sometimes issues with the ODPA on 2005-2006, I am glad I didn't now, although there's no guarantee I would have had any problem with that anyway.

In retrospect, if I had skipped all the TJs since the JKR, I could have saved up enough to probably buy two JLRs...

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
My choice for a Jeep would also be Jeep Green. To me, that is the quintessential Jeep color. As far as the tale of the TJs come and gone, it's a long and involved story. I will summarize it starting with the blue '97 Sport I had in 2006 that I now have the half doors from being repainted silver. In 2006, my mom passed away suddenly from complications due to surgery. When I was going through her papers after she was gone, I came across a letter from her, with instructions on how to handle her estate. In that letter, she specifically said to buy myself a truck or vehicle with some of the estate. She knew my penchant for trucks and Jeeps, and wanted to be a blessing that way, even after she was gone. I took her up on her generosity, and in August 2006 sold that '97 Sport to a co-worker, and ordered a brand new 2007 JKR, which you have seen pictures of, in Jeep green. I ordered it exactly the way I wanted it. You might see in some of the photos of that JKR the license plate, which said THX MOM, which now you know why.

I ran with that JKR until 2012, whereupon I simply decided that given the way JKs are, and how I used to love driving TJs, to trade it for that yellow TJR. Should have kept the JKR, if for no other reason but because of why I bought it in the first place. I have regretted that decision to this day.

Going forward, the yellow TJR had some transmission issues, and because of that and regretting trading the JKR, I took that yellow TJR and my wife's Rav4, and traded them both for an almost new Honda Civic. I ran without a Jeep for a while, then got looking again. That's when I found the Khaki 2006 Rubicon. I drove that for six months or so, but for some reason was not satisfied with it either. I sold a Tacoma and that TJR on Craigslist, to one buyer who wanted a Jeep and a truck for his son. Six months later, I decided to get another TJ, and bought the '03 X. If fixed that up and drove it for a couple years, then my buddy wanted to buy it, so I sold it to him. I then got a 2012 JK Sport and drove that for a year. I stumbled on the 2004 TJR when I was getting my latest Tacoma's oil changed at a Toyota dealership. I made a deal a few days later, sold the JK Sport, and the rest is history. That was in June of 2016.

I love the 2004 TJR, it has been the best of the bunch. When I ordered the 2007 JKR, I almost got one of the last 2006 TJRs that were left on the lots prior to the JK release, but didn't. Given the sometimes issues with the ODPA on 2005-2006, I am glad I didn't now, although there's no guarantee I would have had any problem with that anyway.

In retrospect, if I had skipped all the TJs since the JKR, I could have saved up enough to probably buy two JLRs...

Appreciate you sharing the story @glwood. That was a fantastic read. All your TJs are fantastic.

Very nice gesture from your mom and I am happy to read you enjoyed having that JKR for as long as you did. The THX MOM plate is fantastic. Sometimes I think if I should have gotten a used stock JKR, put 32" tires and just be done with it. They are not bad vehicles but I was somehow (irrationally) drawn more to the look and feel of TJ which is why I bought a TJR. I still have lots to do on mine internally and it's a process. One thing though, I don't think I'll ever be happy without having a Jeep going forward though. I will always have 2 vehicles for practicality, a cheap honda/toyota/whatever sedan for practicality and a Jeep for the heart and soul. I wish they sold the FJ70 LandCruiser here in the US, that's about the only vehicle that I can imagine buying that will keep me happy just by itself.

Absolutely love reading build threads here like this one, and stories like yours. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Awesome story, and your mother was very generous in knowing how you love jeeps...very touching.