2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - My Second Yellow Build

Is that the S160 M201?

What version of android do you have?

Mines got 4.4.4 and doesn’t seem like there are going to be any updates for it. It still works great, I just have to use ACMarket to get older versions of apps that require something higher than 4.4.4. So far, it’s just been Netflix... but the older Netflix works just fine.

Sorry for the late response. Yep it is that model. And does run 4.4.4. I might eventually look into force updating it but not sure how possible. I'll also likely never use Netflix. Would like to setup and use Android auto because it'll be much better.

Sorry for the late response. Yep it is that model. And does run 4.4.4. I might eventually look into force updating it but not sure how possible that is while still keeping functionality.

I have heard of people bricking it by trying to force update it.

It really boils down to “do I need a newer version of android?”

Most people that own stereos don’t do any sort of firmware updates and they work fine for years, or until replacement.

Mine still has google maps, Netflix, pandora, plex, an FM radio app, and an easy to use “car friendly” GUI. I don’t really have a need to update it. There aren’t any new android features that are applicable or beneficial to my head unit. I do have to use an older version of Netflix, but no big deal - unless there comes a time that the older app simply won’t work, I have no issue using the older app. If it ever comes to requiring the newer app, there are ways on the back end to trick it and hope it works.

Hell, my old LGTV has a very old Netflix app, before webOS, that still works.

I have heard of people bricking it by trying to force update it.

It really boils down to “do I need a newer version of android?”

Most people that own stereos don’t do any sort of firmware updates and they work fine for years, or until replacement.

Mine still has google maps, Netflix, pandora, plex, an FM radio app, and an easy to use “car friendly” GUI. I don’t really have a need to update it. There aren’t any new android features that are applicable or beneficial to my head unit. I do have to use an older version of Netflix, but no big deal - unless there comes a time that the older app simply won’t work, I have no issue using the older app. If it ever comes to requiring the newer app, there are ways on the back end to trick it and hope it works.

Hell, my old LGTV has a very old Netflix app, before webOS, that still works.

Ya ATM I don't need any updates. Very happy with how the install went. Quick and easy. Just need to get the sub working again. I think I saw a post say they flipped the + and -. Not sure. I'll switch all my audio over to audio cords anyway so it'll be moot in a few months.

@Chris So I have the opportunity to buy 5 17" AEV Pintlers for $1000. If the condition is excellent is that a good deal? How different do the replicas really look compared to the real ones?

@Chris So I have the opportunity to buy 5 17" AEV Pintlers for $1000. If the condition is excellent is that a good deal? How different do the replicas really look compared to the real ones?

$1000 would be a hell of a deal for real AEV Pintlers, but for replicas, that's about the going price.

I haven't actually seen a set of replicas in person though! I suspect they look dead-on though. Not sure if you can actually fit the AEV center cap on the replicas or not. I know you can't fit it on the Mammoth replicas that Extreme Terrain sells. @Starrs went through that himself.

$1000 would be a hell of a deal for real AEV Pintlers, but for replicas, that's about the going price.

I haven't actually seen a set of replicas in person though! I suspect they look dead-on though. Not sure if you can actually fit the AEV center cap on the replicas or not. I know you can't fit it on the Mammoth replicas that Extreme Terrain sells. @Starrs went through that himself.

They tell me they're real AEV wheels. The replicas I'm talking about are on eBay. Set of 4 for 700. And they look exactly alike from what I can tell.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173597690321

Pintlers do cost what 250 new? What shape are they in?

Getting more close ups soon. But ya Pintlers were 250 new.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
$700 for a set of good condition Pintlers is a hell of a deal!

I have no experience with the Chinese eBay ones, but they do look like an exact copy.

Tried to give the Jeep a nice glass finish before mostly storing it for this Michigan winter. Not as clean as it could be but is a Jeep...

20181124_131349.jpg

20181212_222220.jpg

So I couldn't resist getting a set of 5 17" JK Moabs with tires for $175. But now I've sinned because they're pretty much 32s with no lift yet...oh well it's coming eventually.

@Chris Do you happen to have any idea what a fair price for excellent condition TJ Moabs with some decent tread life could get me? I have no idea where to price it.

Edit: actually how much would just the wheels be?

View attachment 67643

So I couldn't resist getting a set of 5 17" JK Moabs with tires for $175. But now I've sinned because they're pretty much 32s with no lift yet...oh well it's coming eventually.

@Chris Do you happen to have any idea what a fair price for excellent condition TJ Moabs with some decent tread life could get me? I have no idea where to price it.

Edit: actually how much would just the wheels be?

You should be able to sell just the wheels for $250-$300. You could sit on them longer and ask $500, but they aren't sought after enough for someone to pay that price for them.

Either way, it looks good with the JK Moab wheels!

You should be able to sell just the wheels for $250-$300. You could sit on them longer and ask $500, but they aren't sought after enough for someone to pay that price for them.

Either way, it looks good with the JK Moab wheels!

Thank you! I really contemplated getting Pintlers but just can't spend that much money on wheels I know I'll end up roughing up. These are dirt cheap and I really like the silver with the yellow. And I'll make some money selling my set of 5.

Reactions: tomtaylz and Chris
Thank you! I really contemplated getting Pintlers but just can't spend that much money on wheels I know I'll end up roughing up. These are dirt cheap and I really like the silver with the yellow. And I'll make some money selling my set of 5.

Oh yeah, no doubt you can make some money back. Those JK Moab wheels are cheap as can be, so it makes sense to use them for Off-roading, as replacing them wouldn’t be expensive.

Reactions: Damazzaro
@mrblaine Currently have BM pads and centric premium rotors. The plan is 35s. The old ones won't due but I also don't want to buy a bigger kit than I require and always need to stomp on the brakes because the 35s don't have enough rolling mass. Which brake kit would fair better for 35s, 15" or 16"? Wanna get items put on the backlog so I have everything I need.

@mrblaine Currently have BM pads and centric premium rotors. The plan is 35s. The old ones won't due but I also don't want to buy a bigger kit than I require and always need to stomp on the brakes because the 35s don't have enough rolling mass. Which brake kit would fair better for 35s, 15" or 16"? Wanna get items put on the backlog so I have everything I need.
The 16" kit would be better.

Reactions: Damazzaro
Wow, there hasn't been an update in over 4 years! Unfortunately not a lot of updates to the Rubicon:
  1. Fenders repainted since they were starting to form rust
  2. The rear main seal taken care of
  3. Gaskets, gaskets, gaskets, most of them, and a lot of catch-up maintenance.
  4. Purchased some half-doors
  5. Made a hardtop mount.

The big thing here is the 1969 Corvette (Big block of course). It's a 3-speed auto, but it's been in the family since it was purchased new and I was finally able to purchase it from my Aunt. Dream come true. The thing lives to roar! Also got a bike haha.

PXL_20231028_221927034.jpg