2006 LJ mild wobble at 55-60 mph

Yuan

Supporting Member
2006 LJ drives smooth until it hits 55 mph, at which point it starts to have a subtle wobble on the steering wheel. The wobble gets a bit more pronounced as it hits 60. Once accelerated beyond 60, it disappears and gets smooth again. Same thing with deceleration--noticeable at 60(but never too bad), gradually diminishing and gone once dropped past 55 mph. It's so predictable and I can tell what speed it's at without looking at the dash.
Background: LJ has original set of Goodyear tires from 2006. Owner #1, an elderly gentleman, only drove it minimally in its first 12 years. For the past two years, owner #2 drove it about 10K. Wobble was there when he got the Jeep.
Recent work done: tire balance&alignment, pressure set at 29psi, new brakes, new shocks.
Questions: 1)Could it be the tires, despite the recent balance/alignment? 2)should I get a new set regardless? Current original set still has about 75% tread--never been replaced.
Advice/insights would be appreciated.

A speed sensitive shimmy like that is pretty much always going to be caused by an imperfectly balanced tire(s). Alignment would not cause that. And not many shops bother to get tires balanced perfectly. A balance that is good enough for a smaller tire won't always be good enough for a big Jeep size tire.

A speed sensitive shimmy like that is pretty much always going to be caused by an imperfectly balanced tire(s). Alignment would not cause that. And not many shops bother to get tires balanced perfectly. A balance that is good enough for a smaller tire won't always be good enough for a big Jeep size tire.
Thanks Jerry. Balancing was done at local Mavis Discount Tire--poor tech, who barely looks 20, was working on three vehicles at the same time, including mine, with the manager constantly on his back. It's indeed possible that the job could have been done more properly. New to Jeep ownership--have enjoyed reading your posts, among others, very much.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
You say the tires that are on it now are the original tires from 2006? Are you positive? If so, it doesn't matter how much tread life is left. A 15-year old tire needs to be replaced just based on age. Yes, you should get new tires.

You say the tires that are on it now are the original tires from 2006? Are you positive? If so, it doesn't matter how much tread life is left. A 15-year old tire needs to be replaced just based on age. Yes, you should get new tires.

1000% need new tires. There is a date code stamped on the sidewall of the tire. Rubber that old is pretty dangerous and could lead to a blow out.

Reactions: taylormade73
Good chance tires that old have flat spots that will cause a shimmy no matter how well they are balanced.

Thanks all. Yes I believe the tires are original. Owner #2, whom I bought the Jeep from, is a neighbor of owner#1. #1, a sign maker who lived in the Bronx all his life, bought the LJ new in Yonkers, NY 2006 and sold it to #2 in 2018 when his health deteriorated rapidly. Sadly he passed away last year at the age of 88. Based on all the paperwork(including a VHS tape for operation manual!!) that was left in the glove compartment, I was able to locate #1's address and looked it up on Google Map streetview. In the timeline, the Jeep was visible in 2007, 2012 and 2017(this being NYC, most cars are parked on the street). Image resolution is just good enough to make out that the same tires have been on the LJ all these years. Last week at a local Mavis, I specifically asked if the tires need to be replaced given the age, and was told that with 75 percent of tread left, they still have some life. Mavis did the rotors/pads/shocks/sway bar links--all original from 2006. Tech said he couldn't believe his eyes. Jeep rode very rough when I bought it. But I must say, after the work was done, it rides pretty nice, except for the mild steering wobble at 55-60. Pic1:stuff out of the glove compartment; pic2:last maintenance entry by the elderly gentleman who died last year, he was very sick by then. My goal is to bring it back to top form and keep it stock for as long as I have it.

J1.jpeg

J2.jpeg

2006 tires are toast. If it was “driven minimally” for 12 years, it means it sat, the tires certainly have flat spots. Tread life is Irrelevant, I kind of feel bad for the Discount Tire kid, he should have looked at the date and let you know they can’t balance tires that old.

If you have a trailer, same difference. Tread life is irrelevant, age matters. Most times age isn’t a factor on cars because the tires get used up.

Here in Texas heat, it’s very well known that tires shouldn’t be used more than 5 years, literally Discount Tire won’t work on them.

• USA Proud
Reactions: JMT and AndyG
First time dealing with Mavis--must say, other than the two guys who appear to be managers, everyone else working in the garage looks teenage/20 something. quite a sight...

Just rotate the tires. You ‘ll know fast . And get ready for me if original .

2006 tires are toast. If it was “driven minimally” for 12 years, it means it sat, the tires certainly have flat spots. Tread life is Irrelevant, I kind of feel bad for the Discount Tire kid, he should have looked at the date and let you know they can’t balance tires that old.

If you have a trailer, same difference. Tread life is irrelevant, age matters. Most times age isn’t a factor on cars because the tires get used up.

Here in Texas heat, it’s very well known that tires shouldn’t be used more than 5 years, literally Discount Tire won’t work on them.
Old tires hurt people. Good post.

2006 LJ drives smooth until it hits 55 mph, at which point it starts to have a subtle wobble on the steering wheel. The wobble gets a bit more pronounced as it hits 60. Once accelerated beyond 60, it disappears and gets smooth again.

symptoms of a tire balance issue

Background: LJ has original set of Goodyear tires from 2006.

:oops:

Check the code on the sidewall that gives you the year and month the tires were manufactured. If they really are 2006, new tires and a good balance will take care of the shimmy.

If the tires do turn out to be newer than expected, check them for any odd wear patterns like feathering as that can point to worn suspension components which can also cause speed sensitive shimmies (did in my case)

I would explain to the balance tech that the TJ is particularly sensitive to tire balance. And to balance them at 25 psi. Be polite, not bossy. I don't know if tire pressure makes much difference but it does eliminate 1 possible issue.