2006 LJ: Thinking of picking it up. Thoughts on price?

Well, just talked on the phone with the guy for about an hour. Was very thorough and honest, and mentioned every bolt he changed and scratch he noticed.

The one thing he told me to not be surprised by when I show up, is that it sometimes grinds a bit going to second. He said this is common with the synchros in the 6 speed. I believe he was being honest and we are at 16.5 right now. I told him I'd get back to him tomorrow with a yes or no. Leaning toward yes right now
I say keep looking.
It normally grinds on second because the (most) manual drivers skips first gear when at a stop light and starts on 2nd to sprint forward.

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of nice parts on a low-miles LJ with what seems like a clean frame (obviously, must be inspected to verify). I'd say, at your currently negotiated price, it'd be really tempting. Certainly worth the day trip to see it.

sourbluff, looks like a synergy setup from my quick research. Unfortunately, not well loved around here, but the high quality lift kit kinda makes up for that in my mind. It looks really solid too, for whatever that's worth.

That steering would be one of first things I would consider changing. Right after I removed the side steps. But if runs/drives good nothing I see in pics would stop me from buying it. I was super happy with my LJ find and had a few changes planned before was delivered. Part of buying what someone else built.

If you can get him down to 16k or less seems like solid deal to me.

Exactly.

Driving up a mountain on the highway at 40mph, the manual is definitely better.

Driving up a waterfall at .000001 mph where all you see is sky and might stall out, auto is definitely better.
Sometimes that inch can be dangerous when creeping forward or back. I was in JV a while back and I was going down a rock, realized I had a bad line or I was gonna slam, it was too late. I used the e-brake and everything, I just could not reverse up it. I went forward and down and nailed my gas tank skid. If I had an auto though that would have went much prettier.

Reactions: suicideking
I say keep looking.
It normally grinds on second because the (most) manual drivers skips first gear when at a stop light and starts on 2nd to sprint forward.
Starting in second from a dead stop is going to do nothing except cause excessive wear on your clutch depending on your gear ratio/tire size, but even still. Popping out of gear is 99% of the time caused by a bad synchro which can be caused by forcing into gear (not smoothly/banging gears)

Thanks everyone. I'll let him know today if I'm going for it. Just gotta figure out how I'm getting there and what I need to do legally to drive it home.

Reactions: Apparition
A few more things the conversation revealed...

The light spots on the frame are from where prep was started, but new paint never applied. I told him I would be feeling in the frame when I got there, so he did it while we were on the phone too. Said all is good and I should do it too when I get there.

He hasn't had it for a year yet, but has put almost 5k miles on it. All of the things in the top of that list were him, bottom was previous owner. He does have receipts foe everything (over 9k, mostly parts).

He knew jeeps, he's had a few, and his knowledge showed. He told me all of the common issues he's experienced, how he addressed with this one, and how I can research before checking this one out in person.

I think I'm comfortable with the pricing at 16k. The only question is if I get this one or keep waiting. To recap, must be manual, under 120k miles, nice frame, and maintenance/parts receipts and records available. This hits all those boxes and is my favorite color to top it off.

My only concern is that it may be a bit overbuilt for my purposes. This will be mostly street with some easy trails for fun, and some camping with dogs. I was aiming for a 2.5 OME with 33s style. At least this is a short arm kit, and high quality parts though. The 35s seem a bit much, but it does look cool and the gears are done.

I think I'm comfortable with the pricing at 16k. The only question is if I get this one or keep waiting.

You already know the answer to this so tell us when you are picking it up.

4.56 and 33s would be good combination. 4” Currie and 33s are good combination. If you find 35s are bit much, trade them for 33s.

Haha I think you're right. Figuring out the logistics tomorrow and probably going down next weekend. Not sure how the 5" of total lift would look with 33s.

Oh and we have a nice bore scope at work that I'm going to try to borrow and bring along

The 35s seem a bit much, but it does look cool and the gears are done.
During my almost 2 year search for the right LJR I had every intention of building for 33's. The Jeep I bought had 35's on it and I really like it. I bought new 35's and still have some work to get it to right but I am glad I stayed with the 35's.

Not sure how the 5" of total lift would look with 33s.

Not the best pic but 4” Currie springs, 1.25” Savvy BL, and fairly worn 33s.

992E069F-BD88-4D6C-8739-EF9D9DBFEFD7.jpeg

Thanks guys. That does look a bit odd with 33s. I can always look for 34s? Or ditch the body lift maybe. Sounds like a problem for later though. At least it won't be my daily

If the Jeep is really what he says it was, lot's of folks lurks onto this forum, if you wait for next weekend, the jeep is gone.
Totally agree, will likely regret waiting. With these things you need to decide side and move fast to get a good one. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks for the reassurance. Unfortunately, I can't make the trip right away. I offered a non refundable deposit over paypal or something to hold it until Friday. See if he goes for that. Told him my inspection plan to feel in the frame holes for rust (which he already did for me while we were on the phone, because he didn't want to waste my time)

The green one would be fine with 33's. 4.56 gears would be fine with 33's or 35's.

Imo, an LJ looks 'right' on 35's. 33's look too small. Definitely better gas mileage though.

Reactions: Apparition