2006 LJR "UCF skids and tummy tuck"

My neighbor started a "christmas list" for himself. He has everything from work gloves to a new pickup on it. Something for any budget. He adds to it as he thinks of things so he's not dumbstruck when one of his kids asks: "What do you want for Christmas Dad?"

I thought it was a good idea started a list and I had the floor hoist on there for 3 years..... another Christmas came and went and no hoist. (Ya its asking a lot) My son just got his first vehicle, a pickup truck and on my son's christmas break about 4 years ago we bought and installed it.

Honestly, I'm getting too damn cranky to work off of a creeper. I jump down there like a 30 y/o but get up like my age... 55!

Wow, that’s great work. This is going to be an interesting build. Stupid rear shock bolts. Makes you want to go crazy. I like the UCF gas skid. That 1” will come in handy. Anything back there will come in handy on a TJ. I guess you’re on to the M.O.R.E MML next, eh? You’ve got lots of parts. This is going to totally transform your Jeep. Really nice work. Even filed down those ribs on the float. That will make visiting the gas station a little more bearable.

Reactions: Farmergreg
Honestly, I'm getting too damn cranky to work off of a creeper. I jump down there like a 30 y/o but get up like my age... 55!

I jump down there like a 35 year old (my age), but get up like a 60 year old (how I feel). Believe me... if my garage was tall enough, I'd have a lift in there for sure. One of these days I'll just have to move and buy a bigger house!

Reactions: Farmergreg
Regarding the gas tank back flow valve the only thing tricky was it has a "key" that you have to index to when you click it back in place.....blind inside the tank. But I liked the idea of the OEM valve working and not putting the GM one on.

I'm going to be coating areas with POR15 next. I'll need that all dry do I can start with the belly skid.
And fight the motor mounts.

I find here in the SALT bath...if the bolt is pointed up (like the rear shocks) you better heat it and take it EZ. If its sideways or pointed down they come out relatively ez. I'm using lots of anti seize!

Looks like you got a fair bit done. Ill be curious how your UCF gets on. I need to do more research but I was looking into them for a engine/transfer case skid

Looks like you got a fair bit done. Ill be curious how your UCF gets on. I need to do more research but I was looking into them for a engine/transfer case skid
UCF is pretty quick to shipping here vs California. They're kind of underrated vs Savvy.
Pretty happy with the gas tank skid so far but haven't got the belly or engine skid mounted yet.
I went with their lo-pro mount and the high clearance belly skid...should be interesting!

UCF is pretty quick to shipping here vs California. They're kind of underrated vs Savvy.
Pretty happy with the gas tank skid so far but haven't got the belly or engine skid mounted yet.
I went with their lo-pro mount and the high clearance belly skid...should be interesting!
Let me know your opinion on the vibes at low rpm’s with the lo-pro. I’m always looking for feedback on that particular mount.

Is that the 1” or 2”? And yeah seems like a good system, it doesn’t have the cross members though right? Will be curious how the install goes.

Great work, looking for to your JSPEC review.

I'm closing in on 50 and would love a 2 post lift. I changed the serpentine belt in my wife's Highlander yesterday. It only took 10 minutes, but would have taken 5 if I hadn't wasted time daydreaming about how nice it would be to own a lift.

Man, I jump under the Jeep like I'm 22 and get up like I'm 22. Haven't used a creeper because it actually seems to slow me down. I'm far too overzealous when working on my Jeep and make a complete mess of my hands, arms, and clothes. Can't wait until I can afford a lift though, I wouldn't mind it one bit.

Reactions: JMT and Farmergreg
Is that the 1” or 2”? And yeah seems like a good system, it doesn’t have the cross members though right? Will be curious how the install goes.

I got the ultra high one that needs the Lo-Pro mount and a body lift.
You can see why some report vibes with the Lo-Pro. It has a poly bushing to the side which connects the skid to the trans (kind of a hinge fashion). But realistically the poly or rubber pad between the two pieces of metal is likely the source.
UCF has decent directions on the site.

I got the ultra high one that needs the Lo-Pro mount and a body lift.
You can see why some report vibes with the Lo-Pro. It has a poly bushing to the side which connects the skid to the trans (kind of a hinge fashion). But realistically the poly or rubber pad between the two pieces of metal is likely the source.
UCF has decent directions on the site.

Good to know I’ll have to poke around some more and see how you get on. Since mine is auto I think that rules out the lo-pro mount.

Even with the rubber bushing vs. poly, the vibes at idle are noticeable, but you get used to it. I ran that mount for a few years, before removing it to trouble shoot some vibes after I re-geared. Some grinding of the trany mount plate was needed to get the low pro mount to fit flush to the plate, so be prepared for some modifications when you install it.

Reactions: JMT
Even with the rubber bushing vs. poly, the vibes at idle are noticeable, but you get used to it. I ran that mount for a few years, before removing it to trouble shoot some vibes after I re-geared. Some grinding of the trany mount plate was needed to get the low pro mount to fit flush to the plate, so be prepared for some modifications when you install it.

We kind of deciphered how the Lo Pro mount went in during the maylay of the weekend. Need to address corrosion before continuing. I'm also replacing the exhaust. Suspect there will be a bit finessing to get it all tucked in.

Reactions: Apparition
So the build pile continued to grow in the last few weeks:
MetalCloak double adjustable aluminum control arms (thanks! @Chris)
JKS JSPEC 3" springs
JKS Front & Rear track bars
JKS Rear sway bar links
Rancho 5000X Shocks
UCF Aluminum winch plate

Finally had enough and being that its 49º and windy out decided it was time to start.
Mainly dirty tear down work this weekend. As a midwest jeep, I've got some areas to wire wheel and POR15 before continuing.

Also tossed out the transfer case shifter and installed a Savvy cable conversion. (thanks @JMT for his write up on the install)
Have MORE motor mount lifts to put on.
Got the MC control arms mounted. (After spinning all the joints out and coating with anti seize) Probably going to go thru a whole bottle by the time the build is done.

And one other sonofabitch...one of the rear shock bolts decided to break, (we soaked everything with Kriol whenever we had the jeep on the hoist lets say since April) even after heating. What a shit design. Will probably tuck another weld nut in there and use anti seize liberally. At least with the body lift and the gas tank out you can access it.

Pic descriptions below:
Started with the body lift naturally the right rear weld nut came loose inside. We cut an access and welded it back in place. Otherwise went pretty smooth. Jr below welding the nut back in position:

View attachment 60587 View attachment 60588

Using a jack stand along with the hoist to raise the body off the frame to install the pucks:

View attachment 60589

Pile of dirt in the "mud scoop" This particular variety came from my one and only trip to the Badlands at Attica this spring. (@IPerkWVU We'll bring it back on the next trip when we shake down the build!)

View attachment 60590

Woo Hoo! My lucky day.....dug thru the drill collection and found an extra long 33/64 drill....just what the DR. ordered to drill the mounts for the larger bolts on the MC control arms:
View attachment 60591 View attachment 60592

Dropped the gas tank and while it was down removed the back flow? valve. Filed the little ribs on the float and now it doesn't stick. (and hopefully doesn't spew gas anymore)

View attachment 60593

Jr. tightening the tank straps in the UCF skid. This will allow the tank to come up 1". We had to SOAP the tank and skid to get the tank in. Very snug fit.
View attachment 60594

Excited to see it come together, let me know when it comes together and you head out to Attica, would definitely meet you guys up there. I want to see those UCF parts in person, that's high on the list next spring.

Reactions: JMT and Farmergreg
Excited to see it come together, let me know when it comes together and you head out to Attica, would definitely meet you guys up there. I want to see those UCF parts in person, that's high on the list next spring.

I'd also be up for a winter Badlands trip, maybe sometime in January or February. Its been way too long since I've been wheeling in the cold. I'd also like to see the UCF stuff. I'll have the Savvy skid by then so it'll be interesting to compare.

Whoever designed the mounting to the tub for the transfer case shifter should be drawn and quartered full on mid evil, bastards.
It's been soaked with Kroil since April.
Stupid rubber cushioned rivnut clap trap MF'er
That's all!

Whoever designed the mounting to the tub for the transfer case shifter should be drawn and quartered full on mid evil, bastards.
It's been soaked with Kroil since April.
Stupid rubber cushioned rivnut clap trap MF'er
That's all!

Oh wow... mine was easy as can be to get off. But, no rust at all out here in the PNW, so that's probably why.

I will add that it is in a cumbersome location.

Oh wow... mine was easy as can be to get off. But, no rust at all out here in the PNW, so that's probably why.

I will add that it is in a cumbersome location.

Given the quality of the fasteners FCA uses, I'm surprised a heavy dew doesn't cause corrosion!

Looks like everyone, including myself is anxious for the UCF install. I’ve been planning mine for next year. I’ll probably go with the original clearance and no lo pro unless you sway me! In a way I’m hoping you do. It’s 1 more inch, and you know what they say, every inch counts!

Reactions: IPerkWVU