2006 LJR "UCF skids and tummy tuck"

Whoever designed the mounting to the tub for the transfer case shifter should be drawn and quartered full on mid evil, bastards.
It's been soaked with Kroil since April.
Stupid rubber cushioned rivnut clap trap MF'er
That's all!
Yeah, those...I ended up drilling or breaking them all to get that Farking bracket off. Super pain in the ass. Almost as bad as the rear shock bolts. I broke all four of those too. Replaced them with a Bar Pin Eliminator and a through bolt, generously slathered in Anti-Seize. I've got a salt bath jeep too...

To use the UCF LoPro mount you have to modify the trans mount. I'm fortunate to have a Bridgeport.
Pic of milling edge to clear mount:

IMG_4572.JPG

UCF instructs you cut the bracket that supports the exhaust. I milled some material off the cut portion so they sit on a shoulder and interlock:
IMG_4573.JPG
IMG_4574.JPG

UCF Lo-Pro mount continued:

On the exhaust support (the piece with the rubber bushings) I ended up slotting the hole open to the bottom. UCF says these holes line up....not on my TJ! To line up the holes required pulling down the exhaust to where the CC was resting on the skid plate.

A better course would be to cut it the bracket closer to the lower hole, then slot the upper piece. Giving you the most flexibility.

Ran into more interference issues with the trans mount / UCF Ultra skid. I don't know if the support channel inside of the skid was welded to far forward? Or if UCF intends for you to further "clearance" the trans mount. Which would be unnecessary if UCF moved the support channel back 5/8".

I'll add pictures later.

Reactions: Apparition
Interference point with the trans mount to the UCF skid after notching out:
IMG_4592.JPG

Interference point before nothching:

IMG_4583.JPG

Underside where the trans mount fastens to the skid, note that to bolts are all the way to the end of the slots...leading me to believe this plate should have been located further back which would center the bolts and possibly solve the interference with the trans mount:

IMG_4589.JPG

I had to clearance mine as well when I installed it, and that was with the factory skid plate, so some more thought should have been applied to the design of this mount.

Reactions: Farmergreg
Making progress. Skids, Body Lift, Motor Mounts, Cable shifter, Control arms, Muffler done.
Will be working on bump stops and traction bars today.

Clearance above the transfer case after Ultra High UCF, Lo Pro mount, !" MM lift, 1.25" BL:
IMG_4594.jpg

Side view of skid:

IMG_4596.jpg

Oil pan skid:

IMG_4597.jpg

My muffler was getting rough so we installed a MBRP:

IMG_4593.jpg

You have a 2 post lift and a Bridgeport, well done.
It's been an evolution....was trained as a tool and diemaker and ended up a farmer.
The hoist came when my son turned 16 and enjoyed? turning wrenches. The hoist has been the cat's meow to keep up our aging fleet.

Yeah, those...I ended up drilling or breaking them all to get that Farking bracket off. Super pain in the ass. Almost as bad as the rear shock bolts. I broke all four of those too. Replaced them with a Bar Pin Eliminator and a through bolt, generously slathered in Anti-Seize. I've got a salt bath jeep too...
I read thru your build thread and all I can say is: you persevered!
I've taken to wearing black nitrile gloves when I'm on the jeep....the silver anti seize shows up really well.

Relocated the locker pumps to the ABS tray. (The actual build part of this "build thread"....not just bolting on parts!)

We had a piece of road sign aluminum we bent a 90 and mounted the pumps with the OEM rubber grommets. Drawing air from the cab now.

IMG_4614.JPG

After soaking brake bleeders with Kroil since April, I was successful at getting one loose. Broke one I thought was moving, and the other two wouldn't budge.
Wanted to replace the front hoses with longer YJ ones and change out the aged brake fluid.
Both front rotors had grooves wore in the back side.
So I took the plunge and put the Powerstop kit on. 4 sexy red calipers and their HD pads along with 4 drilled ,vented, and plated rotors $400.

IMG_4618.JPG

I like my PS brakes on my Silverado, but I wouldn't want to run a drilled rotor on an off road rig. The holes can trap small rocks and tear up the pads.

Reactions: derekmac
I like my PS brakes on my Silverado, but I wouldn't want to run a drilled rotor on an off road rig. The holes can trap small rocks and tear up the pads.
Well shit....now you tell me!
I know, I didn't ask....
We have had great luck with their rotors and pads on our 3/4 and 1/2 ton trucks.

Reactions: Apparition
Finally got it out for a test drive!

It does have vibration just off idle emanating from the UCF Lo-Pro mount which by its design is understandable as it more or less boils down to 2 plates of steel with a 3/16 rubber pad sandwiched between. It does have the bushings off to the side to handle the torque. At cruise its not noticeable. The trade off might be worth it for the clearance.

The "throaty" MBRP exhaust sounds great. Mainly just at low RPMS do you hear it. Nice size muffler for the crowded underside rear of LJ.

Re-set the toe-in and re-centered the steering wheel.

Rides much better than it did on the stock (200K) springs that were in it. Not harsh at all. (But I'm used to a 3/4 ton truck)

Anti-Rock set on medium hole definitely has more body roll.

Stock driveshafts. Slightly tilted my rear pinion upward with no perceptible vibration.

No interference with the gearshift in the stock location.

It's sitting 5 3/4" higher than when I started.

Re-cap:
1.25" Savvy BL
1" MORE MML
3" JSPEC progressive springs
Metal Cloak DA Aluminum control arms (thanks @Chris)
Anti-Rock Front
JKS Front & Rear Track bars
JKS rear sway bar extensions
Rancho 5000X (for 2.5" lift...thanks guys! yes they run long!)
33" BFG KM2 (thanks @Starrs)
UCF Ultra high skid, Lo Pro trans mount, and UCF Aluminum 1" rise gas tank skid
Savvy cable transfer case shifter
Olympic rear bumper w/hitch
YJ front brake lines
Powerstop brakes

To Do List:
Mount the winch
Cooling system OH
Spark plugs
O2 sensor gremlins
Valve cover gasket
Spark plugs
ZL steering

IMG_4608.jpg
IMG_4609.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got it out for a test drive!

It does have vibration just off idle emanating from the UCF Lo-Pro mount which by its design is understandable as it more or less boils down to 2 plates of steel with a 3/16 rubber pad sandwiched between. It does have the bushings off to the side to handle the torque. At cruise its not noticeable. The trade off might be worth it for the clearance.

The "throaty" MBRP exhaust sounds great. Mainly just at low RPMS do you hear it. Nice size muffler for the crowded underside rear of LJ.

Re-set the toe-in and re-centered the steering wheel.

Rides much better than it did on the stock (200K) springs that were in it. Not harsh at all. (But I'm used to a 3/4 ton truck)

Anti-Rock set on medium hole definitely has more body roll.

Stock driveshafts. Slightly tilted my rear pinion upward with no perceptible vibration.

No interference with the gearshift in the stock location.

It's sitting 5 3/4" higher than when I started.

Re-cap:
1.25" Savvy BL
1" MORE MML
3" JSPEC progressive springs
Metal Cloak DA Aluminum control arms (thanks @Chris)
Anti-Rock Front
Rancho 5000X (for 2.5" lift...thanks guys! yes they run long!)
33" BFG KM2 (thanks @Starrs)
UCF Ultra high skid, Lo Pro trans mount, and UCF Aluminum 1" rise gas tank skid
Savvy cable transfer case shifter
Olympic rear bumper w/hitch
YJ front brake lines
Powerstop brakes

To Do List:
Mount the winch
Cooling system OH
Spark plugs
O2 sensor gremlins
Valve cover gasket
Spark plugs
ZL steering

View attachment 62152 View attachment 62153

Look at that non-shovel! My dropped TC is jealous.