2006 LJR "UCF skids and tummy tuck"

Went out to the ORV park Sunday for a trial run of my sons K-30 "Bomber" He has spent a few hours/dollars on it. Rebuilt the 350 engine. Turbo hydro 400 trans. Rebuilt Dana the 60 front and installed ARB locker. 205/203 transfer case doubler. Background shot of my TJR to keep it TJ friendly!
IMG_5266.jpg
IMG_5268.jpg

Glad I found this thread. I'm planning on doing a UCF skid and was torn between ultra high and original. I think I will go with the original, or middle height skid.
it will still raise your TC up some, so expect to adjust your pinion angles. I dont personally know if a double cardan drive shaft is needed because I already have one.

After soaking brake bleeders with Kroil since April, I was successful at getting one loose. Broke one I thought was moving, and the other two wouldn't budge.
Wanted to replace the front hoses with longer YJ ones and change out the aged brake fluid.
Both front rotors had grooves wore in the back side.
So I took the plunge and put the Powerstop kit on. 4 sexy red calipers and their HD pads along with 4 drilled ,vented, and plated rotors $400.

View attachment 62053

I like my PS brakes on my Silverado, but I wouldn't want to run a drilled rotor on an off road rig. The holes can trap small rocks and tear up the pads.
This^ They sure look sexy on the hoist but absolutely fail in practice. After about 8000 miles the pads were already too thin. Replaced the pads in December '20. Likely be an upgrade after these pads wear out.

Reactions: Apparition
This^ They sure look sexy on the hoist but absolutely fail in practice. After about 8000 miles the pads were already too thin. Replaced the pads in December '20. Likely be an upgrade after these pads wear out.
Like the extra clearance height. I think for my daily driver that will be Alright. UCF only makes the Ultra high in aluminum for the 97-02 years though. Why do I see a gap between the frame and the skid?

Like the extra clearance height. I think for my daily driver that will be Alright. UCF only makes the Ultra high in aluminum for the 97-02 years though. Why do I see a gap between the frame and the skid?
It's the flat piece of aluminum butting up to the nutserts that protrude from the frame about an 1/8 of an inch

@Farmergreg would you mind sharing what you did for bumpstops? i'm using your build to base mine off of. looks great! appreciate it.
I used 2 hockey pucks in the front and one in the rear. Drilled and tapped for 3/8” socket head cap screw countersunk into the top puck. Still holding up!

1642611353328.jpeg

1642611410929.jpeg

Did you use a bracket with the rear jks track bar or just the adjustable in the stock mount? Thanks again!!

The time had came to get rid of the "butt crack" and do a frame tuck by raising the frame 1.25" and eliminating the rear BL puck.
(Shout out to @hosejockey61 /BFH for his how-to video)
Still undecided on which bumper to get, I'd like something with protection for the corners.

Before pics:
1690549691775.jpeg

1690549728524.jpeg

Drop the fuel tank. This is the UCF 1" raise tank skid
1690549782048.jpeg

Getting serious! LJ has the extra crossmember that the tank skid bolts to
1690549860990.jpeg

Mid point with the frame bottom formed in house welder (my son) at work
1690549974899.jpeg

We formed the upper fill in piece on top of the main frame out of flat stock
1690550086991.jpeg

Added a gusset to the outside
1690550135360.jpeg

Made 1" spacer bushings for the rear gas tank skid. The rear should be 1.25" higher than stock.
1690550292298.jpeg

The time had came to get rid of the "butt crack" and do a frame tuck by raising the frame 1.25" and eliminating the rear BL puck.
(Shout out to @hosejockey61 /BFH for his how-to video)
Still undecided on which bumper to get, I'd like something with protection for the corners.

Before pics:
View attachment 444972

View attachment 444973

Drop the fuel tank. This is the UCF 1" raise tank skid
View attachment 444974

Getting serious! LJ has the extra crossmember that the tank skid bolts to
View attachment 444975

Mid point with the frame bottom formed in house welder (my son) at work
View attachment 444976

We formed the upper fill in piece on top of the main frame out of flat stock
View attachment 444977

Added a gusset to the outside
View attachment 444978

Made 1" spacer bushings for the rear gas tank skid. The rear should be 1.25" higher than stock.
View attachment 444979

Thank you for covering your crack. I was tired of the exposure.

This is one of the next things I do, but I want to do some other things when I have the tank down. Nice job!

• Haha
Reactions: Farmergreg