2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-speed

Frank Slap

Hello Everyone,
I'm New Here.
I'm 60 years old. I've had/have & worked on a lot of Classic & Antique cars & Motorcycles to include (3) Camaro's (2) 71's one of which is a Z28( that I still have) also had a 77 Z28, of which I still have a lot of it's parts. I also had a 1973 Datsun 240 Z, which I enjoyed & did a lot of work/mod.'s too. Also just got rid of my 1981 Buick Electra Estate Wagon (Full Size) That I had & maintained for over25 years. It had a 1978 Olds 350 ci that replaced original 350 Buick Diesel motor...(the experiment that never worked, putting diesel heads on a gas engine.(Not a good Idea) LOL.... & Motorcycles, a 1986 Honda CR 250 a 2 stroke dirt bike for many years & a 1968 Triumph Bonneville that I still have. I did a lot to that one also, Chromed all major parts to include (frame, triple tree, trans. cover,timing cover, pri. cover.) Mod.'s to include 800 cc big bore conversion, road race cams & big amal carb.'s. Also a Snowmobile 1977 F/A 340 Skidoo for about 4 years...When we got snow in 1978
Now I finally got a possibility to buy my FIRST JEEP, YEAH !! Looking Forward to many Good Times w/ it ! I'm in the online negotiation stage right now with a out of state used Jeep dealer in L.I. N.Y. I'm in central Ct. It's a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited (L J ) 2 door 6 speed man. Blk./Blk. w/ a lot of miles (210,000) I haven't seen it in person yet, But was told it runs & looks GREAT. I will be checking it out in person soon (1 wk.) If it's Good, I'm all set to bring it home....That's the plan. In the meantime, I'm doing a lot of research on it. Too including joining this Forum !! I'm Very impressed with everything I see here & consider myself Very Fortunate to be here, Hello Everyone & THANKS !! AGAIN !!!

Last edited:
No rust is what you want to focus on in that neck of the woods.

Those vehicles are top dog in the TJ world.

Reactions: Frank Slap
Welcome! I have an 06LJR too - hope this one works out for you! Be sure to keep an eye on the rust (and coverups in the northeast) before accepting it. The rust belt is real on the TJ/LJ platform.

Welcome! I have an 06LJR too - hope this one works out for you! Be sure to keep an eye on the rust (and coverups in the northeast) before accepting it. The rust belt is real on the TJ/LJ platform.
Thanks for your reply,
Yes, Those boxed frames (without weep holes) REALLY collect & hold the road/trail crap & that Kiila SALT !

Last edited:

Thanks for your reply,
YES, I will. It's nice to find someone w/ the same one.... How you Like yours ?

I have one too. Spent two years looking for one with a 6 speed, reasonable miles, body not hacked up and no rust. Can you have them send you pictures? Easy shots to take and assess the rust are where the transfer case skid plate meets the frame and the lower control arms mount to the frame. If it turns out to be too rusty, keep looking.

I have one too. Spent two years looking for one with a 6 speed, reasonable miles, body not hacked up and no rust. Can you have them send you pictures? Easy shots to take and assess the rust are where the transfer case skid plate meets the frame and the lower control arms mount to the frame. If it turns out to be too rusty, keep looking.

Thanks for your interest Viking,
I did get (4) pic.'s, of the 4 sides... But they got deleted /lost by my error. I'll be there @ the end of the week, They have a lot of wranglers there, So I'll see how it goes.....How do you like the one you got ?

Welcome. Good luck on your purchase. Make sure to check the frame where the Transfer Case skid plate mounts and near the lower control arm brackets. These are the areas TJ's are known to rust out at. And remember they rust from the inside out. So stick your finger in all the holes on the frame and feel the bottom of the frame inside to make sure it's smooth and not rough. Even better, if you can get one of those wire cameras and snake it inside the frame to take a peek that would be all the better.

Welcome. Good luck on your purchase. Make sure to check the frame where the Transfer Case skid plate mounts and near the lower control arm brackets. These are the areas TJ's are known to rust out at. And remember they rust from the inside out. So stick your finger in all the holes on the frame and feel the bottom of the frame inside to make sure it's smooth and not rough. Even better, if you can get one of those wire cameras and snake it inside the frame to take a peek that would be all the better.
Hello,
Thanks for that info, It's Greatly Appreciated !!

Reactions: taylormade73
I have one as well. 2006 LJ Rubicon rust free with 65,000 miles. Make sure you check out the frame. Left front fender can rust as well. LJ's are the Unicorn collectible now. Especially in Canada where only 89 were sold in 2006.

IMG_3266xf1300.jpg