2006 TJ 4.0 Won't Start

MTragan

Hi everyone. Newby from Norfolk, VA here. I'm having some issues getting my 06 TJ 4.0 to start. Just went out to go to work, and when I turn the key, all lights gauges, radio, and electrical components work perfectly, but it doesn't even attempt to turn over. No click of the starter, no other noises of any type. I disconnected and reconnected the battery, making sure it was making a good connection and there wasn't any corrosion on the cables or terminals. In fact, it's a fairly new battery. Got it earlier this year. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but I'll throw out there that I just installed a new Wranglerfix PCM two days ago. It has been driving perfectly up until now. Any ideas of where to start? Starter maybe?

I would say check connection to the starter. If all the electrical components are working and it isn't cranking I would eliminate the starter as a culprit first.

Reactions: Fishtaco
IF you know how to use a electrical multi meter (you will need assistance); turn the ignition switch to START and check the small wire for 12V that is attached to the starter solenoid. IF no voltage then check the starter relay in the PDC (engine compartment fuse/relay block) to see if it clicks when the ignition switch is turned to START. Wiggle the relay to ensure the terminals are making good contact.

Hi everyone. Newby from Norfolk, VA here. I'm having some issues getting my 06 TJ 4.0 to start. Just went out to go to work, and when I turn the key, all lights gauges, radio, and electrical components work perfectly, but it doesn't even attempt to turn over. No click of the starter, no other noises of any type. I disconnected and reconnected the battery, making sure it was making a good connection and there wasn't any corrosion on the cables or terminals. In fact, it's a fairly new battery. Got it earlier this year. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but I'll throw out there that I just installed a new Wranglerfix PCM two days ago. It has been driving perfectly up until now. Any ideas of where to start? Starter maybe?

Has it been working alright since you installed the new PCM? If so this sounds like an ignition actuator issue.

There's a cheap piece of pot metal that connects the key tumbler to the ignition switch, when it fatigues it'll twist enough to actuate the "On" position of the ignition switch but not twist enough to actuate the "start" position, so when you turn the key forward the actuator doesn't make the necessary contact to activate the starter. There are a bunch of writeups on here about it, it's an easy job.

Thanks guys. I jumped the starter with a wire from the starter to the battery last night, and it fired right up. So the starter is clearly not the problem fortunately. I also tested the small connector that goes from the ignition switch to the starter with my multi-meter, and it's getting no juice. So I'm pretty positive it's either the ignition switch or the actuator pin. I'm gonna pull it apart this weekend and get a better look. I went ahead and picked up a new pin on my way home today just so I have it on the ready.

Reactions: CharlesHS
Unless I missed the information in your posts; I did not see the transmission information.
Which transmission do you have ? Automatic or Manual ?
The problem could be the neutral safety switch or clutch safety switch disabling the starter circuit...
IIRC fuse 10 in the fuse block behind the glove compartment will disable the clutch safety switch or with the automatic you can place the transmission in Neutral to see if the engine cranks over....

Unless I missed the information in your posts; I did not see the transmission information.
Which transmission do you have ? Automatic or Manual ?
The problem could be the neutral safety switch or clutch safety switch disabling the starter circuit...
It's an automatic.

Check starter relay terminal B5 (Orange/Pink) wire to see if there is 12V when the ignition switch is in START position.
Check starter relay terminal B3 (DarkGreen/Orange) to see if there is a ground signal from the TCM section of the ECU.
When a 12V start signal above is completed there will be power across terminals B1 and B2 to enable the starter solenoid.

Check starter relay terminal B5 (Orange/Pink) wire to see if there is 12V when the ignition switch is in START position.
Check starter relay terminal B3 (DarkGreen/Orange) to see if there is a ground signal from the TCM section of the ECU.
When a 12V start signal above is completed there will be power across terminals B1 and B2 to enable the starter solenoid.
Will do. Thanks for the info!

Hey everyone. Just wanted to provide an update. Turns out it was the ignition actuator pin. I pulled it apart this weekend and a small piece of metal had broken off. I just went to Advance Auto and grabbed a new Dorman pin, and it's working again. Thanks for the help!

Thank you for posting the update. Too often someone asks a question, gets a multitude of answers, but we never know what worked.