Danthony14

My jeep wont go pass 2500 rpms. We have replaced the tps, cam shaft position sensor and synchronizer. It still throwing the code p0344 intermittent a. We have tried everything and are stumped. We need it fixed like yesterday as it is my mail jeep. Any help?

My jeep wont go pass 2500 rpms. We have replaced the tps, cam shaft position sensor and synchronizer. It still throwing the code p0344 intermittent a. We have tried everything and are stumped. We need it fixed like yesterday as it is my mail jeep. Any help?

Welcome, what brand components did you use, it does make a difference.

Could be a partially clogged catalytic converter. Mine clogged while on the highway and my top speed suddenly dropped to 5 mph. A muffler shop can perform a pressure test to check it.

And what model year, engine, and transmission?

Your Jeep is in limp mode because the computer is not receiving a proper signal from the camshaft position sensor.

Usually this is caused by using any sensor other than one installed at the factory. Even a new Mopar sensor is not made by the OE supplier.

You can try another brand but for the most part they all set P0344 after awhile.

There was a recent thread that supported a theory that when the OPDA is replaced, which I’ll assume set off this issue, a scanner is necessary to set the timing and resolve this code.

I would suggest you try another sensor brand (there are several on Amazon) or have a shop with a DRB III or similar scanner synch the cam sensor with the crank sensor.

If you want to try yourself, I believe the OPDA replacement and timing procedure are on page 455 of the service manual.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/2006-tj-service-manual-pdf.14047/

We just used parts from oreillys. I have taken it to dealerships with drbIII scan tool and they say they can't do anything because it doesn't have the factory radio

We just used parts from oreillys. I have taken it to dealerships with drbIII scan tool and they say they can't do anything because it doesn't have the factory radio
Again, please, what model year is your Jeep and which transmission does it have?

When you say that it "won't go past 2500 RPM's" what exactly is it doing or not doing? Is it coughing and sputtering above that? Bogging down? Actually will not rev above that? Specifics please, as much as you can give us.

I’m not sure what the dealer checked, but have you inspected the wiring harness for damage and chafing? The wiring runs from the camshaft position sensor, over the oil dipstick bracket, back to the passenger side of the engine block then up to the valve cover and over to the PCM.

The harness can wear on the dipstick bracket and if the harness is routed behind the coil rail, it can also rub on the engine block. If the signal wire is shorting to ground, the PCM will lose the signal.

Your Jeep uses a PCI bus (network wire) that runs through the PCM and several modules, including the data link connector, SKIM (module), instrument cluster, airbag module and radio. After market radios can cause issues with the PCI signal. I don’t think this is the source of your issues but it could block the scanner from reading the network modules that are beyond the radio.

Reactions: rasband
I had the same issues this past spring with my 2006 LJ with an automatic. P0344 code and limp mode. I ended up taking it to my dealer and they synced the cam and crank position sensors. Cost me $200, but it's been fine since. Oh, and I have an aftermarket radio. I don't get that one.