2012+ JK common issues

Chris G

TJ Enthusiast
I'm strongly considering adding a 4-door JK to the fleet and reserving my TJ for wheeling trips. The JK would be used as a DD as well as to tow a popup for family camping trips. Having the JK would also afford me more time to fix / upgrade whatever breaks on said wheeling trips on the TJ rather than have to get it back up and running right away in order to perform DD duty. There would be a little light wheeling depending on the camping trip location, but the JK would mostly be a road going vehicle. I did a lot of reading through the forum about what to look for when I bought my TJ and I kept hearing 'the frame, the frame, the frame,' but what should I be looking for / concerned about when shopping used JKs?

I know the 3.6L is preferable to the 3.8L, and for me I'd prefer a manual, but what else should I be looking out for when shopping used?

Thanks!

Park them outside.

jeep fire.jpg

https://wranglerjkforum.net is going to be the place to ask. I run that forum as well.

You're going to want a 2012 and up with the 3.6. You'll want to look for rust of course, leaky oil coolers, leaky radiator, etc.

I considered that, but it looked like I needed to register separately for that forum. Is that correct?

Yes, you do. It's unfortunate there isn't a way to have the same registration information be the same between both of them.